Veiled not eating in over a week

Santi4407

I hav a female veiled for maybe 2 to 3 months now, she is going on close to a year old but I am not 100% sure.. Her eating habbits were great till now, she would aggressively go at anything that moved.. It seemed she could eat much more than I would give her.. But recently I noticed a little change in behavior generally and in regards to feeding. When it came to eating she was still eating but she slowed down when it came to going right at the food the moment she saw it.. Before a cricket couldn't pass her sight without being eaten. Now she is on an all out strike! I also had noticed her putting out more vibrant colors around the begining of her strike, which she would hold all day. Now she's back to a dull green color.. My guess is that all this is due to her becoming eggbound. I have placed a makeshift nest with dirt *but she has shown no interest. So I *am worried all this can be due to stress of some sort..

Her daily living includes*
-Exo terra glass terrarium 18x18x24 *with front doors removed for better airflow. (new 18x18x42 screen cage has been ordered)
-Reptisun 5.0 compact bulb 75 wat bask bulb
-80-90 temp with gradients and night temp drops ,40-50 humidity*
-Daily misting with occasional use of dripper
-Crickets and superworms for feeders dusted on anverage 2x a wk with reptivite w/d3
-Handling has been done a few times when first bought... She has become very aggressive lately and will not let me get near. Since her purchase she has seemed very cautious reclusive and scared of me.. I was told she would become used to my presense but doesn't seem to done so yet. Don't kno if it's normal or not or still too early. Any advice and help will b appriciated! Thanx in advance..
Tim

I've read lots of stories about hunger strikes. You might try another feeder to see if that perks her interest. While they terrify me, people here swear by Superworms.

Sounds like she needs to lay eggs. They typically stop eating a few days before laying eggs. What type and size laying bin have you provided her? How deep is the dirt and is it moist enough for her to dig a tunnel and it not collapse? I prefer to use washed moist playsand in my laying bins, but soil can work fine too. She will need privacy to dig her hole and lay. If she sees you looking at her, she may abandon the hole, leading to possibly becoming eggbound.

Is the reptivite the only supplement you are using? You need a Calcium withOUT D3 4-5x a week. The reptivite only about 1-2x per month and a calcium with D3 1-2x per month also. Most people keep the basking temps lower to help prevent eggs and feeding the female a little less. A compact UV bulb has been known to cause severe eye issues and the safest most recommended UV bulb is the Reptisun 5.0 linear.

I'm sure some others will have a few more suggestions for you as well. I would check out these links for some great info also.
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html This link deals specifically with keeping female veileds.
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/egg-laying-need-some-advice-37754/

Thanx for the replies.. I will try a different feeder for her tomorow but I know the only other feeder I will get a hold of quickly will be waxworms.... As for how big the laying bin is it is about 8" deep it is a half a circular plant pot fm home depo approx 16" long and 6" wide.. But the thing is she hasn't seemed to have touched the soil as far as I can tell.. She has a good portion of the day with no disturbance to try to dig so I am confused as to why she wouldn't.. As far as the vitamins go I do have a sampler of zoo meds repti calcium without d3 but haven't used it since I first got her.. I am aware of the compact bulb issue and I plan on purchasing a new light fixture and tube light when I can. Thank you for the links and I will be sure to c wat I can take from there asap

If she hasn't eaten in a while, I would think a wax worm or two wouldn't be amiss. She could probably use the extra fat boost if she's working up to laying eggs.

How easy is it for her to get to the laying bin?

The soil should be moist enough to hold a tunnel 6 inches long and 1 inch across that you dig out with your finger.

The laying bin is easy for her to get to with moist soil .. As for a bigger bin at this point that is not an option due to the size of her enclosure.. I should be recieving a bigger screen cage this week, and will b able to improvise from there.. But still in all she still hasn't seemed to have touched or shown any interest with te soil at all so this is what confuses me theist at this point... Also on a look towards the positive side I think she ate 2 superworms I left for her yesterday. Unless they escaped which I don't c wAs possible.

I have to use a larger bin for some of my girls. You take them out of the cage and put the in the trash can and if ready they are forced to dig, they can't get out of the can. I do keep a vine or branch in there so they can climb up out of the dirt. Make sure she has complete privacy and do not allow her to see you it could stop her from digging and she can become eggbound.

Bin

Have you considered making her a bin in a trash can (new and clean of course) and putting her directly in it. She will need some basking and climbing items, but it will give her ample opportunity to lay her eggs.

A trash can does seem lik a fairly logical solution I think will try that I will give it maybe a day or 2 to c what it's looking like...thanx I still will post pics later when I get home.

this is her around the time she started not to eat
photo.jpg
this is her now(not a great pic)
image (2).jpg
this is a bin i jus put in yesterday the 3rd one i am trying it runs along the side of her tank(new screen enclosure will b here on thurs) front to back
image.jpg

I'm in no way an expert, but I've seen loads of pictures and one sad case in my home and I think it's clear that little girl has eggs. You've only had her 2 or 3 months, right? So, it's possible she was bred and those eggs are fertile. You might want to poke around the Breeding thread for some ideas on how to make that determination and what to do if they are fertile.

Eliza.. I peeped around the breeding threads a little today and I will keep some things in mind and will do some furthur searching within that thread later on.. Thanx

On a better note i got her to eat!!! i literally had to put a spoon with a waxworm right in her face.. she ate 4 and i got in some much needed calcium.. she also ate 2 superworms after, she didnt seem to want anythin else after that.. she still hasnt gone near the laying bin but she has been exploring a little bit but just not there. another thing seemed a little weird was that i caught her napping during the day. i have done a fair amount of research and never seen anything about day naps:confused:

her again around the time i noticed change in behavior
DSC01044.jpg
today taking a day nap:confused:
DSC01061.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01067.jpg
even through all my confusion with her not eating and not seeming to be eager to dig to lay if she is ready, she still seems healthy

Yes, she may still be healthy, but she won't stay that way. She looks loaded with eggs. In your first post you mentioned her possibly becoming eggbound. Have you taken her to a vet? Personally, I would take her to a vet. Sooner rather than later.

Yes, she may still be healthy, but she won't stay that way. She looks loaded with eggs. In your first post you mentioned her possibly becoming eggbound. Have you taken her to a vet? Personally, I would take her to a vet. Sooner rather than later.

I agree. Don't wait or it might be too late to do anything.

She does look really heavy with eggs. Her eyes look good, but the fact you caught her "napping" probably means she's starting to go downhill a bit. Hopefully your vet can see her tomorrow.

If you have to wait for the appointment you might try digging out a tunnel for her and putting her in it. (tail first? she asks the experts...I'm not sure) I've read posts from people saying this stimulated their females to lay. (repeating: this is just "while waiting to go to the vets"...I'm guessing you might not be able to get her in tomorrow, but if you can, do it).

It's great that you've gotten her to eat! She'll need those calories to get her through this.

Ok well with the best luck in the world, the local vet burnt down a week ago!!! Amazing right? But the local reptile store is willing to check her out exactly what help they can provide, I don't know but I guess it's worth a try at this point.. Any further advice and tips on reducing stress on the ride there?

Back
Top Bottom