UV Light Question

Campy

So I had to leave my cham at home for my da to take car of unmtil i get set up in Ottawa. He needed a new UV light, so I asked my dad to go and get one. The next time I came home, he got a new light, but it is red? Could this be? :-S

When my dad got it, he said that it was a fake sun.... Gives off UV rays and such.

nahhhh..
UVB ray should be like sun (white) not red..
tha one probably a night basking light..
which is not exactly useful for cham

Hmmm. Well... That's not what I want to hear. He has had it for about a month and a half now. And I haven't really noticed any difference (when I was home).

Could it be that it is an uncommon one? that you have not seen/dont remember?

Should I get it changed ASAP?

Yeah...It's still not the right light.
You need a flourescent tube : Zoomed repti-sun 5.0 is the best one available for providing your cham with the UVB he/she needs to produce D3.

The lamp you're talking about sounds like a sunlamp for a bathroom or sauna...or perhaps it's a mercury vapor bulb ??? If it's the latter, you need to take some specific precautions and ask someone on the forum who uses them about it.
I don't use them so I am of little help with that.

-Brad

well, i doubt it's something that we never heard of..
I say change it to reptiSUN TUBE 5.0

NOT reptiGLO 5.0 or reptisun 5.0 COMPACT (both are no no)

ok, Well, I am not going to get my dad to do it... He obviously doesn't know what the hell he is doing! lol... But I can't blame him. He was trying to help.

He is coming up with me to Ottawa after xmas anyways.

If it were me, I would have looked for the same one I had, which I believe it was a tube one as well.

ease up on your dad. more than likely, he just didnt know any better. the bulb you are an infared heat bulb, mainly used for reptiles to provide heat without the being in their visible spectrum at night or during the day. I know that zoo-med has an actual picture of a chameleon on their day(blue), moon(black/purple), and infared bulbs' boxes. Not to mention, depending on where he got it, he probably had some "reptile expert" telling him what to buy.

Just tell him it's a fluorescent tube reptiSUN 5.0 UVB, and he should be able to pick it up.

lol . That's what I said, not blaming him for trying. He did what he could. I will pick it up myself on the weekend.

assuming you mean ottawa canada, don't bother going to all the little local pet shops nor petsmart for a reptisun tube. I called pretty much every place in town (including gatineau) and they all only carry the exo terra repti glo's for some odd reason. (I say odd because they still sell other zoomed products like basking lights and reptivite)

The only place I found that sells them is big al's/aquarium services (they go by both names for some reason), kinda funny that a fish oriented store sells them but the reptile specific places like little ray's doesn't. A place in gatineau sells the iguana light 5.0 which is supposed to be the exact same bulb as the reptisun but I went with big al's cause I couldn't get any real confirmation that both bulbs were identical.

ha. big al's has it eh.. cool . I am going there to get some fish anyways in the next couple days :-D. Need to find one that's crazy lookin. probably will drop about 100 on a fish.

Am I nuts? ha

Back
Top Bottom