Spraying when light on or after lights go off.

Rita1

Hello need some advice please. I am setting up a bio active home for my panther, not got him yet as every thing is still new. My question I have a 90x45x90 glass enclosure, I have setup a fan to get air movement, now do I mist in the day or when the lights go out. I live in the uk.

I only mist when the lights are out. With that being said, I believe there are at least some on here, who mist 30 mins BEFORE lights go off, instead of 30 minutes AFTER lights go off. I'll share my lights/mist/fog schedule with you, but please keep in mind I live in the US, and my cage is all open screen. It doesn't take much to get high humidity for me. Everyone's situation is different, and your goal is to keep the humidity in the 40-50% or so range during the day, and 80-100% at night. The reason I could see to mis 30 minutes BEFORE lights off at night, would be to give your chameleon a supplement of water to drink before they go to sleep.

I personally have never seen my chameleon need to drink (I have a dripper but he doesn't use it), and his poop+urates has always looked excellent for hydration. But again, high humidity is not an issue for me.

My schedule:

7:00am lights on
7:00pm lights off
7:30pm 2 minute misting session
1:00am 2 minute misting session
1:00am 6am fogger is on entire time
6:30am 2 minute misting session

You will have to be cautious with your humidity levels with a glass enclosure. I would do prior to lights on and right after lights go off but add a dripper during the day. You will also want to adjust your basking fixture to run differently then the rest of your lighting so that it runs say 9-2. This way your the humidity can reduce before you add more heat and then in the evening your heat levels start dropping before you add more moisture.

How have you set up the fan and what are you using?

Last edited:
We got pc fans, do I need to set one blowing and the other sucking out the air. They will sit on top of the paludarium.

Well i hand mist twice during the day as my chams like drinking off the leaves and the plants do well. Also fog with distilled water at about 4am on medium for 20 minutes to bring humidity up. Have a splitter on the fogger which works great. Both of my chams hate it when the mist hits them so i am very careful not to hit them with it. This seems to work for us. I have a male veiled and a female panther. I rigged her cage bio so she can lay in the base as she wont use a lay bin and the plants do much better being planted in soil/sand! I am also cognitive of local weather and stopped fogging for a bit as humidity levels were real high from unusual weather in california.

I only mist when the lights are out. With that being said, I believe there are at least some on here, who mist 30 mins BEFORE lights go off, instead of 30 minutes AFTER lights go off. I'll share my lights/mist/fog schedule with you, but please keep in mind I live in the US, and my cage is all open screen. It doesn't take much to get high humidity for me. Everyone's situation is different, and your goal is to keep the humidity in the 40-50% or so range during the day, and 80-100% at night. The reason I could see to mis 30 minutes BEFORE lights off at night, would be to give your chameleon a supplement of water to drink before they go to sleep.

I personally have never seen my chameleon need to drink (I have a dripper but he doesn't use it), and his poop+urates has always looked excellent for hydration. But again, high humidity is not an issue for me.

My schedule:

7:00am lights on
7:00pm lights off
7:30pm 2 minute misting session
1:00am 2 minute misting session
1:00am 6am fogger is on entire time
6:30am 2 minute misting session
Do you live in the uk.

Well i hand mist twice during the day as my chams like drinking off the leaves and the plants do well. Also fog with distilled water at about 4am on medium for 20 minutes to bring humidity up. Have a splitter on the fogger which works great. Both of my chams hate it when the mist hits them so i am very careful not to hit them with it. This seems to work for us. I have a male veiled and a female panther. I rigged her cage bio so she can lay in the base as she wont use a lay bin and the plants do much better being planted in soil/sand! I am also cognitive of local weather and stopped fogging for a bit as humidity levels were real high from unusual weather in california.
We were told not to fog, as I live in the uk we have natural high humidity.

Do you live in the uk.
I do not! So please keep that in mind. I'm not sure what kind of temps/humidity you deal with over there so remember your goal isn't to just do what others do, it's to reach those desired temp/humidity numbers to where they need to be to keep your chameleon healthy and hydrated :)

I have a feeling you are dealing with lower humidity levels, hence the glass enclosure. Unfortunately, my situation is the exact opposite! So I think someone else may be of more help than myself as your situation seems much different than mine.

We got pc fans, do I need to set one blowing and the other sucking out the air. They will sit on top of the paludarium.
You will want them both to suck out air not blow air into the enclosure. Does your enclosure have vent strips along the bottom of the glass somewhere? This will be extremely important to cycle clean air in and pull the stagnant air out the top.

Which glass enclosure brand you’re using?
I would go, when placed on top, for only sucking air out. But careful it has a big enough air strip sitting below, therefore it’s important to which brand of enclosure. I know in the UK and Europe there’re some decent glass enclosure designs.
Fogging I’m not using for spiking humidity, but for natural hydration. My chams are free range and at night they sleep directly in the fog, to stimulate hydration.
In your case I would mist before lights turn on and just after lights are turned off.

Hello need some advice please. I am setting up a bio active home for my panther, not got him yet as every thing is still new. My question I have a 90x45x90 glass enclosure, I have setup a fan to get air movement, now do I mist in the day or when the lights go out. I live in the uk.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly have you set up your enclosure which I presume is an exoterra? If not I would recommend putting a drain pipe in before you start incase you need to drain excess water , this would be a pipe like let's say a tube from a cricket keeper tub , which would have a hole drilled in the side about a half inch up from the bottom this tube would then be silicone to the base of the exoterra ( you could put 2 pipes in alternate back corners ) the pipe/s then need to be longer/ higher than your intended soil / substrate level , ( by using cricket keeper tubes they come with caps which can be covered to stop any substrate or bugs getting in , as far as misting I will get into that in a bit 😉

Do you live in the uk.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly have you set up your enclosure which I presume is an exoterra? If not I would recommend putting a drain pipe in before you start incase you need to drain excess water , this would be a pipe like let's say a tube from a cricket keeper tub , which would have a hole drilled in the side about a half inch up from the bottom this tube would then be silicone to the base of the exoterra ( you could put 2 pipes in alternate back corners ) the pipe/s then need to be longer/ higher than your intended soil / substrate level , ( by using cricket keeper tubes they come with caps which can be covered to stop any substrate or bugs getting in , as far as misting I will get into that in a bit 😉
Hi thank you, yes drain pipes are in. I keep dart frogs and have the same setup. I do have the exo terra paludarium.

Hi Rita I see you are asking this elsewhere, I personally mist before lights on my heat light is set to take an hour to reach desired temp I run a dripper in the afternoon, as I only run my basking light until 3pm I sometimes mist before the uv goes off

Back
Top Bottom