How many UV lights to use?

chelizard

Searching Chameleon Forums leads me to believe that for a 24x24x48" enclosure it's recommended to have a single T5HO UV-B lamp. But Chameleon Academy suggests that an enclosure of this height should have 4–6 bulbs for T5HO. (link, see "Lighting" section) Currently ordering new T5 lights for my veiled chameleon and want to make sure I get the right amount!

How many T5HO lights & hoods do you use in your setups?

Searching Chameleon Forums leads me to believe that for a 24x24x48" enclosure it's recommended to have a single T5HO UV-B lamp. But Chameleon Academy suggests that an enclosure of this height should have 4–6 bulbs for T5HO. (link, see "Lighting" section) Currently ordering new T5 lights for my veiled chameleon and want to make sure I get the right amount!

How many T5HO lights & hoods do you use in your setups?
Hi there so it is always 1 UVB bulb, typical placement is to run this fixture side to side down the middle of the enclosure top. When he speaks to additional lighting he is referring to plant lights these run in the same type of T5HO fixtures but the bulbs are 6500k daylight bulbs.

You can do plant lighting with T5HO fixtures or LED options. I happen to run both because I started with T5HO for plant lights.

For example I run 3 single bulb T5HO fixtures. 1 is a UVB light and the other 2 are 6500k daylight bulbs. Then I got Hibiscus for my cage and these will only bloom with high light so you have to use LED lighting. So I run a Jungle dawn LED bar as well.

You could just run a T5HO with UVB bulb and a Jungle dawn led bar for plant lighting. This will put out a ton of light to light up the cage but also push down into the cage to provide plant growth and blooming.

Hi there so it is always 1 UVB bulb, typical placement is to run this fixture side to side down the middle of the enclosure top. When he speaks to additional lighting he is referring to plant lights these run in the same type of T5HO fixtures but the bulbs are 6500k daylight bulbs.

You can do plant lighting with T5HO fixtures or LED options. I happen to run both because I started with T5HO for plant lights.

For example I run 3 single bulb T5HO fixtures. 1 is a UVB light and the other 2 are 6500k daylight bulbs. Then I got Hibiscus for my cage and these will only bloom with high light so you have to use LED lighting. So I run a Jungle dawn LED bar as well.

You could just run a T5HO with UVB bulb and a Jungle dawn led bar for plant lighting. This will put out a ton of light to light up the cage but also push down into the cage to provide plant growth and blooming.
This is the wisdom we come here for! Thanks so much 😄 very, very helpful

Back
Top Bottom