Optimal lighting setup

Is there a downside to using 2 or more T5 HO Arcadia 6% bulbs in a single 24x24x48 enclosure? I feel like the UVI 3 zone is so limited to that single perch under that linear single T5 bulb where my chameleons get that proper exposure and was wondering if putting 2 bulbs at separate areas on the top could broaden the UVI 3 zone and allow my chams to have more choice for different spots. In theory it would make them happier to have more range, right? I’m assuming this is done for a wider enclosure anyway.

Right now I have the single T5 HO fixture (zoo med) with a single Arcadia 6% bulb in it. Does anyone have any suggestions on triple or quadruple bulb T5 HO fixtures (brands, models etc)? I was thinking of putting 2 6% UVB bulbs in the outermost slots and then 2 plant light ones in the center slots. Is that overkill or impractical? Would it be better to stick with the single T5 HO and just get a Jungle Dawn for the plants?

Thanks!

I would stick with just the one uvb light. I try to provide different levels of branches for different degrees of uvb exposure so my chameleons can choose. I really don’t want them to get and they don’t need any higher than a UVI of 3.0 though. In the wild, I believe their basking areas have measured at lower than 3.0 and this is probably something that is still being researched.

I would stick with just the one uvb light. I try to provide different levels of branches for different degrees of uvb exposure so my chameleons can choose. I really don’t want them to get and they don’t need any higher than a UVI of 3.0 though. In the wild, I believe their basking areas have measured at lower than 3.0 and this is probably something that is still being researched.

Got it, thank you so much for your input! I went with the one UVB and got a Jungle Dawn LED bar for the plants in each enclosure.

Got it, thank you so much for your input! I went with the one UVB and got a Jungle Dawn LED bar for the plants in each enclosure.
Excellent! For a UVI of 3.0 you’ll want a distance of 8-9” from light to basking area. If you are getting a baby or young chameleon, they enjoy walking upside down along the screen top and can easily get burns. Because of that, you’ll want to elevate your lights at least a few inches above the screen. There are some on Etsy who sell little doo dads called Repti risers for this. I just use the wire baskets I can get at dollar stores. Anyhow, with the lights raised off the screen top, the distance still needs to be the same 8-9”. LED’s don’t really get hot, but just in case, hold your hand below it at the distance your chameleon would be. If you can’t hold your hand there for more than a minute or so, it’s a burn risk.

Excellent! For a UVI of 3.0 you’ll want a distance of 8-9” from light to basking area. If you are getting a baby or young chameleon, they enjoy walking upside down along the screen top and can easily get burns. Because of that, you’ll want to elevate your lights at least a few inches above the screen. There are some on Etsy who sell little doo dads called Repti risers for this. I just use the wire baskets I can get at dollar stores. Anyhow, with the lights raised off the screen top, the distance still needs to be the same 8-9”. LED’s don’t really get hot, but just in case, hold your hand below it at the distance your chameleon would be. If you can’t hold your hand there for more than a minute or so, it’s a burn risk.

I definitely won’t be getting any babies any time soon but for my panther and veiled (both adults, luckily!) I have attached a photo of the setup and I get my UVI 3.0 read at the top perches where they are basking. I think lowering them would reduce the amount of UV and I think they are in the right place (at least 4” between top of enclosure and the tops of their spines/casques) but if it looks wrong please let me know! I’ll do a solid measurement in the morning to make sure. They’ve been doing well since this last update to their spaces where I got the T5 HO 6% setup. I’m still fairly new to this and just now feel like I’m getting proper information because this forum community is amazing. Thanks again!

Attachments

• C8536BAC-7773-4FA0-AC3A-9403E2694BF6.jpeg
    C8536BAC-7773-4FA0-AC3A-9403E2694BF6.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2B3EAF2E-DA64-432C-B87B-8B5FF3EB1F87.jpeg
    2B3EAF2E-DA64-432C-B87B-8B5FF3EB1F87.jpeg
    261.8 KB · Views: 55
  • CDFD33E9-4EE4-4FF4-AA57-989D165C2C34.jpeg
    CDFD33E9-4EE4-4FF4-AA57-989D165C2C34.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 60
Looks great! I do have a couple of concerns I need to ask about though. Is there a divider blocking the view so your chams can’t see each other at all? I think I see something in one of the pics, but then at the bottom it seems like I can see thru one and into the other. Other concern is that I see what looks like an ivy plant. Unfortunately, ivy is toxic and we can’t use it. While panthers don’t eat their plants like veileds do, some have been known to take a random bite and of course, they drink off them. It would be safer to replace it. I’ve no idea how large it is, but grape leaf ivy is a safe one that you could substitute. A good sized prayer plant would look really nice there.

Looks great! I do have a couple of concerns I need to ask about though. Is there a divider blocking the view so your chams can’t see each other at all? I think I see something in one of the pics, but then at the bottom it seems like I can see thru one and into the other. Other concern is that I see what looks like an ivy plant. Unfortunately, ivy is toxic and we can’t use it. While panthers don’t eat their plants like veileds do, some have been known to take a random bite and of course, they drink off them. It would be safer to replace it. I’ve no idea how large it is, but grape leaf ivy is a safe one that you could substitute. A good sized prayer plant would look really nice there.
Oh my god, thank you for the warning! I search every plant on Planta and online and for some reason thought that specific ivy was fine. I’ll remove it right now!

I have an opaque sheet held up with magnets up top but the very bottom of the enclosure is open as they don’t typically go down there. I’m going to go to the craft store to get a board shortly just to be safe. Do you have any suggestions for a 2x2x4? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom