Urgent??? Unknown if my approx~1yo F Vail Chameleon...

chamlover711

Chameleon Experts.
I am the Father of Chamlover711 (and I a Physician 15+yrs) It Seems in my No-DVM Humble opinion that My Daughters Chameleon My be Ill.
This morning she did her daily routine before going to camp and I when I got home did my daily routine checking to see if she did hers. I Found the 1yo'ish Cham. On Lower branch and she was NOT Moving with Eyes Shut. Being Slow movers I at 1st did not think anything of it, But I stroked her back (any attempt i make to approach her She balloons up-hisses- and changes color) she Kept eyes closed only moved a small amount and opened eyes slightly (intuition tells me something may be wrong) BTW she still has a grip.

Now Daughter is home and we checked on Cham. and almost the same things, only she did moved a little bit and still in lower part of Terrarium.

My Daughter Pointed out that Cham-"Lilly" has what appears to be a "bump on her head" All-in family are stating that bump has been there for past week &1/2 but is getting smaller....so
Lethargic? Bump on head? eyes closed most of time...

any and all thoughts are helpful before i take Cham to DVM..
I will attach pic's...
Thanks.
Dad of Chamlover711

Sick Lilly?

Attached are some pic's
~thanks
chamlover711's Dad
lilly sick 006.JPG

lilly sick 016.JPG

lilly sick 014.JPG

lilly sick 011.JPG

lilly sick 015.JPG

Hello, welcome to the forum!

You can get a lot of good information here to bring to the vet (not from me so much but others for sure)

I would fill out the how to ask for help form and post it here to increase the chances of a more experienced keeper to be able to get a better idea of what the problem is.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Again Welcome!

You say she's around a year old? Do you have a laying bin for her? This may not be relevant but she seems gravid or at least bloated IMO

Best of Luck, Hope she feels better! Its great that you're doing this! :)

i have seen things like this before i think it may be a abscess i would say go see a vet asap just to be sure

also i agree she does look gravid i would also get her a laying bin or make her one as soon as u can. just to be sure.

I also recommend a vet ASAP. As others said it looks like an abscess on her head, she may be gravid/egg bound, and possible MBD.

Looking at her sunken casque, hollow head and sunken eyes, probably very dehydrated too, but that could be due to her other problems as well.

From what I can see, I would guess that the abscess on her head comes from a sinus infection, which will need to be drained and/or otherwise treated by a vet. Her arms do show signs of bowing, which leads me to believe she may also be suffering from a calcium deficiency.

If you have a qualified, experienced reptile vet near by I would definitely recommend a visit. The abscess will need antibiotics probably and then they will be able to send you home with some liquid calcium as well for the metabolic bone disease.

Yes all in all she definitely does not look good in the least. She will need a vet as soon as possible or she will die :( Chameleons are so fragile and once they show signs of illness it is usually at the most critical stages. BUT you need a guaranteed certified reptile veterinarian, not just a vet who says they treat reptiles. Otherwise they will do more harm than good.

Cham info

My Chameleon - Veiled chameleon,Female, about a year or more (age wise), she has been in my care for 11 months
Handling - 2 or 3 times a day
Feeding - superworms,fruit, and veggies, 2 or 1 superworm, 4:00 PM every other day
Supplements - Tetrafauna's repto cal, D3 and Calcium, dusting feeders, gut laoding superworms
Watering - spray bottle, mist 2 or three times a day for a minute or less, occasionally get a chance to see her drink
Fecal Description - droppings are light brown, has not been tested for parasites
History - adopted at petsmart

Cage Info:

Cage Type -glass and screen top,18"x18"x24"
Lighting - Exo-terra, UVA/UVB and heat lamp, on at 6:00 AM off at 9:00 PM
Temperature - 70* TO 80* F, Lowest temp. was 60* F, I measure the temps.
Humidity - 55 to 70, I maintain the levels with a spray bottle
Plants - No live plants
Placement -No traffic, 4 feet from the ceiling near window
Location- SE (Georgia)
Hope this helps! (By the way... I just found out that she likes bananas!:DI fed her one and she seemed to like it!)
~chamlover711

have you changed out the uvb bulb since you got her? They need to be changed out about every 6 months. We need to know exactly what kind of bulb you are using. Go look at it and tellus what it says. Is it a combo uva/uvb? for 11 months, all you have fed her is superworms as far as insects go?????

1 or 2 superworms every other day is not enough and superworms are not a good feeder. They should only be used occasionally as a treat. At that age she should be eating 10-15 (maybe less) appropriate size feeders every day or every other day.

Supplements should be:

Phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding
Phosphorus free calcium with D3 twice a month
Multi vitamin twice a month

Repto cal contains both phosphorous and D3.

My Chameleon - Veiled chameleon,Female, about a year or more (age wise), she has been in my care for 11 months
Handling - 2 or 3 times a day
Feeding - superworms,fruit, and veggies, 2 or 1 superworm, 4:00 PM every other day
Supplements - Tetrafauna's repto cal, D3 and Calcium, dusting feeders, gut laoding superworms
Watering - spray bottle, mist 2 or three times a day for a minute or less, occasionally get a chance to see her drink
Fecal Description - droppings are light brown, has not been tested for parasites
History - adopted at petsmart

Cage Info:

Cage Type -glass and screen top,18"x18"x24"
Lighting - Exo-terra, UVA/UVB and heat lamp, on at 6:00 AM off at 9:00 PM
Temperature - 70* TO 80* F, Lowest temp. was 60* F, I measure the temps.
Humidity - 55 to 70, I maintain the levels with a spray bottle
Plants - No live plants
Placement -No traffic, 4 feet from the ceiling near window
Location- SE (Georgia)
Hope this helps! (By the way... I just found out that she likes bananas!:DI fed her one and she seemed to like it!)
~chamlover711

all the errors I can see I have made red.
1) You need to feed other than larva. Superworms are okay as supplemental feeders but you should be giving her mainly crickets or roaches supplemented with larva and other insects. variety is ideal. feeding less is good because it helps keep egg production down.

2)you need a plain phosphorus free and D3 free calcium supplement for every feeding, the d3 for 1-2 times monthly, and a multivitamin 1-2 times monthly as well but on different days than the D3. OR you can try the repashy all-in-one supplement every feeding.

3) is this really a UVB bulb? I find a lot of people can get confused with this and end up with 2 plain heat bulbs because they say UVA, don't be fooled by the $20 "UVA basking bulbs" at the pet store, all you need for heat is a regular household white light bulb, but not coiled the old kind. The UVB is needed to process calcium, natural unfiltered sunlight is best but a 5.0 UVB bulb is what you need. They sell coil UVB bulbs, but I prefer the tube bulbs.

4)sinus abscesses are mostly caused by URIs, which are caused by not enough ventilation. Glass tanks are not good in most cases for veiled chameleons. They are arid arboreal and a screened tank is best for maximum ventilation.

1 or 2 superworms every other day is not enough and superworms are not a good feeder. They should only be used occasionally as a treat. At that age she should be eating 10-15 (maybe less) appropriate size feeders every day or every other day.

Supplements should be:

Phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding
Phosphorus free calcium with D3 twice a month
Multi vitamin twice a month

Repto cal contains both phosphorous and D3.

10-15 feeders everyday or even every other for a year old female is too much I think. I would feed more like 6-7 large size feeders every other day.

Back
Top Bottom