Update, recommendations needed.

Alright guys,

I posted 2 days ago about a baby veiled chameleon I rescued from a bad home. I'm going to add some pictures and I need your opinions. I took her to a vet who had no knowledge of reptiles and I'm afraid in my area they were my only option. It's very obvious she has MBD. I've taken all climbing items out of her enclosure. She walks around a little but won't eat or drink (I still have a dripper going on leaves). She has changed to darker colors as well which is worrisome. So, after looking at the pics, is there any hope? Should I have her put down? Yes, this is my first chameleon I got simply because she was in a bad home. I know I'm not doing things perfectly (there's way too much calcium on that cricket and it needs to be cut into smaller pieces ect.)

I'm just looking for advice guys as I don't want her to suffer. Thanks in advance!

Don't post this on facebook!!! I think your poor cham is past the point of return unfortunately:( if you want to know how this could have been prevented, read the caresheets for veiled chameleons......poor chameleon!!!!

Don't post this on facebook!!! I think your poor cham is past the point of return unfortunately:( if you want to know how this could have been prevented, read the caresheets for veiled chameleons......poor chameleon!!!!

What about facebook? I don't plan on posting anything to facebook?
And thank you, I was afraid so. I've done all my research as I've been preparing to get a chameleon for a while. I just couldn't leave her to die in her previous owner's care.

It is very unfortunate how bad her previous owner let her get, very upsetting to see that some people can allow this to happen, but I think it is admirable that you attempted to rescue her. I don't have a whole lot of experience with MBD but I have seen cases this bad that made a recovery. There is no way for a full recovery at this point, but I think there may be people on here that can help you get her back from death's door.

Alright guys,

I posted 2 days ago about a baby veiled chameleon I rescued from a bad home. I'm going to add some pictures and I need your opinions. I took her to a vet who had no knowledge of reptiles and I'm afraid in my area they were my only option. It's very obvious she has MBD. I've taken all climbing items out of her enclosure. She walks around a little but won't eat or drink (I still have a dripper going on leaves). She has changed to darker colors as well which is worrisome. So, after looking at the pics, is there any hope? Should I have her put down? Yes, this is my first chameleon I got simply because she was in a bad home. I know I'm not doing things perfectly (there's way too much calcium on that cricket and it needs to be cut into smaller pieces ect.) View attachment 232931View attachment 232932View attachment 232933View attachment 232934
I'm just looking for advice guys as I don't want her to suffer. Thanks in advance!
Welcome @KellyPeterein17 your girl is in very very pore shape . It will be a lot of work . You will need to be diligent and find her a exotic vet ASAP . The only chance she will have will be with liquids . She will not be able to eat on her own for some time months I mean . I’m gonna tag a few that can help possibly but she needs a vet like yesterday . @Andee , @jannb , @bloftis1 anyone around to chime in ? Where do you leave Jann might be able to help with vet .

Honestly she looks awful and since it is a female egg binding is higher risk due to her MBD and health issues. :( I think you have a very very long road ahead if you choose to try and rehab her. I don't know how you would be able to rehab without an experienced Reptile Vet. www.chameleonbreeder.com look for the episodes on Sweetpea. I forget which season they are in. She is a female Veiled with extreme mbd. He also has a ton of episodes that will help you being as how she is your first cham.

I am still new but have the basics of husbandry down and I would not be able to take on a baby in that poor of shape. I do not feel that even with what I have learned that I have the skill set for that type of rehab.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do moving forward.

Last edited:
It is very unfortunate how bad her previous owner let her get, very upsetting to see that some people can allow this to happen, but I think it is admirable that you attempted to rescue her. I don't have a whole lot of experience with MBD but I have seen cases this bad that made a recovery. There is no way for a full recovery at this point, but I think there may be people on here that can help you get her back from death's door.
Thank you, it is much appreciated. I'm trying my best.

Are you sure she is female? If it's a she I would be hesitant to keep her going with your lack of knowledge on chams let alone rehab. Her vet care will be extensive, I am talking thousands of dollars. Usually chams this bad along I take in for liquid calcium and vitamin boost shots. Then in about 4 more months when they are stronger I take them in for an eye flush, possible enemas, possible fluids. This is not a simple case that can be done with one vet visit and home care imo and I've done a lot of rehabs. I have had two cases similar to this. It took 5 hours out of my day caring for a single animal to make sure meds, nutrients, and water were provided, and 1800 dollars to the vet for each. I had my last two survive but only one was strong enough to be safely rehomed

Are you sure she is female? If it's a she I would be hesitant to keep her going with your lack of knowledge on chams let alone rehab. Her vet care will be extensive, I am talking thousands of dollars. Usually chams this bad along I take in for liquid calcium and vitamin boost shots. Then in about 4 more months when they are stronger I take them in for an eye flush, possible enemas, possible fluids. This is not a simple case that can be done with one vet visit and home care imo and I've done a lot of rehabs. I have had two cases similar to this. It took 5 hours out of my day caring for a single animal to make sure meds, nutrients, and water were provided, and 1800 dollars to the vet for each. I had my last two survive but only one was strong enough to be safely rehomed
Thank you @Andee . I know you have worked with babies this severe . It will not be an easy task . Not that it can’t be done but one really needs lots of experience and even with that very slim survival .

I was actually wondering if she was truly female as well, I couldn't get a good look at her back feet

Thank you @Andee . I know you have worked with babies this severe . It will not be an easy task . Not that it can’t be done but one really needs lots of experience and even with that very slim survival .
I have lost one little one before, who I rescued and realized their illnesses were to severe and they were far too young for me to work with, she was immediately euthanized sadly. She is the only one I never truly worked with and she still haunts me today.

I have lost one little one before, who I rescued and realized their illnesses were to severe and they were far too young for me to work with, she was immediately euthanized sadly. She is the only one I never truly worked with and she still haunts me today.
I completely understand . I could not put our Frances down . For just that reason . It would have haunted me for life .

Shes hanging in there. She wont eat or drink on her own but I grabbed some filter (blunt) needles from work and have given her some fluids and I even got her to eat a tiny part of a cricket! It's been storming pretty bad here in sw missouri all day but the sun is out now so I may take her outside for some real sunlight. I'm determined to save her! Thank you so much for asking.

Back
Top Bottom