Ultimate Beginner Please Help

Britney

Hi, all! I have never owned a reptile, and I stupidly fell in love with a tiny little cham at PetSmart. I have had her for about three months now. However, I am a very anxious pet momma and I need to know what I'm doing wrong. Her name is melon and I will list her details and add pics of her and enclosure below.
Sex: Female?
Diet: mealworms, some fruit, and some dark leafy greens
Supplements: repticalcium and reptivite or something like that
Handling: once or twice a week
Mood: usually grumpy but mostly green unless she's blending into her moss sticks.
The pictures of her are from November 28. Thank you for reading and hopefully replying!!

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_221858406.jpg
    IMG_20201231_221858406.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20201128_192400066.jpg
    IMG_20201128_192400066.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20201128_192217937.jpg
    IMG_20201128_192217937.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 96
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Are the pics of the cage from now? Please post pics of the cham that are current and pics of the entire enclosure including the lights.

Can you fill this form out in as much detail as possible for us please?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Enclosure info:
Screen unsure of specific dimensions
Humidity: also unsure
Temperatures:
Basking is about 86 to 88
Bottom I think 72
Bowel movement and urine: slight yellow urine she usually tries to pee and poop in odd places I don't find until I replace a plant or substrate.
Lighting: zooMed lights
Everything I got was in the zooMed beginner cage for chams

Enclosure info:
Temperatures:
Bottom I think 72
Bowel movement and urine: slight yellow urine she usually tries to pee and poop in odd places I don't find until I replace a plant or substrate.
Ok hun. I am going to give you this link... I can not do too much with this little feedback. So I want you to learn the basics first. Your going to read through every single module in this husbandry program... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Then read through everything in this care sheet. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

The cham kit does not come with the right lighting. So you have to buy this first a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb.
I also need to know how your using the supplements you got. Because the calcium without D3 in the little container that came with the kit should be used every feeding and the Reptivite with D3 in the little baggy should only be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

No mealworms. You should be feeding her small/medium sized crickets. No fruit or veg should be fed to her.

Start reading through the links above I gave you. You need to understand the basics so you understand what we tell you. :)

Thank you so much! I have a hard time finding somewhere near me with insects I can care for. Is it safe to order live feed off of Amazon?
The site sponsors on here for feeder insects are great! Make sure to either gutload all feeders with healthy gutload 24/7 or pick out and gutload the feeders being fed off overnight or a few hours before-hand, if you haven’t been doing so already.

I have gotten through the first three and already feel stupid about getting a cham lol. I am getting some superworms sent to my house that I am going to breed (I love insects I already have pet snails) I only have the correct housing for worms and smaller insects so I am getting canned gutloaded crickets soon! She will be very sad about losing her kale tho I planted three micro herbs of it to raise the humidity and give her some more rainforesty vibes but she just would eat the stalks non stop they wouldn't even grow anymore :( I used the supplements a little too much. I saw something online about using it every other feeding so I did that for a week or two before I realized you weren't supposed to.
Ok hun. I am going to give you this link... I can not do too much with this little feedback. So I want you to learn the basics first. Your going to read through every single module in this husbandry program... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Then read through everything in this care sheet. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

The cham kit does not come with the right lighting. So you have to buy this first a T5HO fixture and a 5.0 bulb.
I also need to know how your using the supplements you got. Because the calcium without D3 in the little container that came with the kit should be used every feeding and the Reptivite with D3 in the little baggy should only be used 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.

No mealworms. You should be feeding her small/medium sized crickets. No fruit or veg should be fed to her.

Start reading through the links above I gave you. You need to understand the basics so you understand what we tell you. :)
I have gotten through the first three and already feel stupid about getting a cham lol. I am getting some superworms sent to my house that I am going to breed (I love insects I already have pet snails) I only have the correct housing for worms and smaller insects so I am getting canned gutloaded crickets soon! She will be very sad about losing her kale tho I planted three micro herbs of it to raise the humidity and give her some more rainforesty vibes but she just would eat the stalks non stop they wouldn't even grow anymore :( I used the supplements a little too much. I saw something online about using it every other feeding so I did that for a week or two before I realized you weren't supposed to. The first time I tried to feed her a cricket and live worm she thought I was trying to kill her or something haha but she will just have to get over it I guess. Thank you so much for sending me these modules it has already helped so much. I had to get some new lights for her anyway. It's hard to find anything where I live so I have to order it all online or drive two+ hours away and covid is making it hard to do that lol.

Enclosure info:
Temperatures:
Bottom I think 72
Just off the bat, I would reduce the basking temperature to about 80 degrees--especially since your cham is so small. (Beautiful cham btw--so green!). I would do this immediately. You can reduce the temp by raising the basking light off the top of the screen. Your bottom (ambient) temperature is perfect. Other than that, @Beman and @ERKleRose covered all the bases.

Getting correct uvb lighting is super important as she will get mbd without proper lighting which will basically cause her bones to become deformed.

Here is a care sheet picture that you can always reference from: https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
1611445570779.png

Once you get your lighting (uvb and basking), supplementation, and humidity down to a science, your chameleon will thrive. For humidity, you need to buy a hygrometer (preferably digital). When your humidity is correct, your cham will stay nice and hydrated.

Just off the bat, I would reduce the basking temperature to about 80 degrees--especially since your cham is so small. (Beautiful cham btw--so green!). I would do this immediately. You can reduce the temp by raising the basking light off the top of the screen. Your bottom (ambient) temperature is perfect. Other than that, @Beman and @ERKleRose covered all the bases.

Getting correct uvb lighting is super important as she will get mbd without proper lighting which will basically cause her bones to become deformed.

Here is a care sheet picture that you can always reference from: https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
View attachment 290076
Once you get your lighting (uvb and basking), supplementation, and humidity down to a science, your chameleon will thrive. For humidity, you need to buy a hygrometer (preferably digital). When your humidity is correct, your cham will stay nice and hydrated.
Thank you! I will do this immediately!

I am getting some superworms sent to my house that I am going to breed (I love insects I already have pet snails) I only have the correct housing for worms and smaller insects so I am getting canned gutloaded crickets soon!
Be careful with superworms as your cham can get addicted to them so make sure to feed them with lots of other options such as live dubia roaches, crickets, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, etc.

This brings me to the second point, you should be feeding live insects--nothing canned even if it is gutloaded. Buy live crickets and insects...oooo @AmandaS beat me to it

Be careful with superworms as your cham can get addicted to them so make sure to feed them with lots of other options such as live dubia roaches, crickets, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, etc.

This brings me to the second point, you should be feeding live insects--nothing canned even if it is gutloaded. Buy live crickets and insects...oooo @AmandaS beat me to it
Okay you and @AmandaS for your replies lol. I'm a struggling college student, and I'm unable to pay for housing and the crickets. Is it okay to feed the canned crickets until I'm able to rake up enough money.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

I'M ANSWERING IN CAPS BECAUSE THERE IS NO LONGER A COLOR OPTION...
Hi, all! I have never owned a reptile, and I stupidly fell in love with a tiny little cham at PetSmart. I have had her for about three months now. However, I am a very anxious pet momma and I need to know what I'm doing wrong. Her name is melon and I will list her details and add pics of her and enclosure below.
SPECIES?.....
Sex: Female? LOOK AT THE HEELS. IF THERES A BUMP/SPUR THEN ITS MALE. IF NOT ITS FEMALE.
Diet: mealworms, some fruit, and some dark leafy greens MEALWORMS ARE NOT THE BEST FEEDER. CRICKETS, LOCUSTS, ROACHES, SILKWORMS, BSFL ARE MUCH BETTER. WAXWORMS, HORNWORMS, SUPERWORMS CAN BE TREATS ONCE IN A WHILE. DO NOT USE CANNED/DRIED CRICKETS!!!
AMOUNT FED EACH TIME? HOW OFTEN/SCHEDULE? WHAT DO YOU FEED THE INSECTS?
Supplements: repticalcium and reptivite or something like that
PLEASE BE SPECIFIC ....DO THEY CONTAIN PHOS, D3, PReFORMED VITAMIN A?
Handling: once or twice a week
Mood: usually grumpy but mostly green unless she's blending into her moss sticks.
WATERING? DO YOU USE A DRIPPER? SPRAYER?
Enclosure info:
Humidity: also unsure YOU SHOULD KNOW.
Temperatures:
Basking is about 86 to 88 TOO HOT FOR A FEMALE. 80 IS ADVISED.
Bottom I think 72 YOU SHOULD KNOW.
Lighting: zooMed lights WHICH ONES? YOU NEED A LONG LINEAR UVB REPTISUN 5.0 OR ARCADIA 12 UVB. THE BASKING LIGHT SHOULD BE WHITE AND IT CAN BE A REGULAR HOUSEHOLD INCANDESCENT (NOT LED) BULB.
THAT KIT IS NOT A GOOD OPTION...SORRY TO SAY.
PLANTS? SHOULD BE REAL...NON TOXIC...WELL WASHED ...BOTH SIDES OF THE LEAVES.
PLACEMENT...?
LOCATION...?

The pictures of her are from November 28. Thank you for reading and hopefully replying!!

Back
Top Bottom