spaying a chameleon?

awh53

has anyone had their chameleon spayed?

my chameleon seems to want to keep her eggs to herself (now 50 days)
just had my vet on the phone she is going to spay my chameleon on monday she quoted £60.00p to £100.00p no more than that
seems cheep to me

I'm not sure what species were talking about, but chameleons as a whole are stressful little animals. I had an iguana spayed once (a male) he was very large and healthy, but he passed away 2 weeks after being spayed. I would think long and hard before you spay a female chameleon. Hope everything goes well!

If you type spayed into the search you will find threads on keepers who have done so. Some good and some not so good but it will give you a better picture and answer your questions on it. Any medical procedure on a cham is risky.

Has the vet seen your cham already and tried an injection of Oxytocin to help induce her laying? Is this a good, reputable reptile vet? Has your cham got privacy to lay her eggs? If you haven't already try covering her cage with some towels.

Has the vet seen your cham already and tried an injection of Oxytocin to help induce her laying? Is this a good, reputable reptile vet? Has your cham got privacy to lay her eggs? If you haven't already try covering her cage with some towels.
Great questions. Make sure your vet knows what they are doing, and ask them if they know the risks etc. of the procedure.

Spaying should be a last resort! Wow the price your vet quoted is very cheap!!!! It cost over £400 to have my chameleon spade and it did not work out well! Someone has already posted a link what happened with poor little cham.

vet has seen her twice both times have been about her laying
have had her covered over with towels for two weeks nearly
she has the bottom of her viv filled with moist playsand to 12inches deep she shows no sign of laying or even going to the bottom of her viv
the vet has experience of spaying lizards but forgot to ask about chameleons in general
will ask her when she rings monday
trouble is she has mbd as well but we thinks that could be due to not getting enough calcium in pet shop as she was gravid (i did not know) when i bought her

Has the MBD been corrected?

I have heard of quite a few veileds being spayed successfully...if its done when the chameleon is still healthy enough and the vet knows what he/she is doing.

I don't think it's a wise choice..... Reptiles seem to not have the best reaction to anesthesha. In other words, there's a slim chance she'll wake up. And if you don't want her to have fertile eggs I'd keep her in a separate encloser, even if you did want her to have eggs it's a good idea to keep all chams to themselves. ;)

Over 20+ years of keeping chameleons, I have had quite a few put under and there wasn't one that didn't come out of the anesthesia....and the choices if the chameleon is eggbound are to let it die or have it put down or have it spayed....unless there is an option I don't know about?? :)

the vet seems to think she could be egg bound as she has not seen a veiled chameleon so full of eggs to day is day 51 since i bought her
she is the only chameleon i have and dont want to lose her
will talk to vet to see what other opions there are
but i only want whats best for her not whats the best for me

Has the vet suggested injecting her with oxytocin to stimulate her to lay? Lily was given this when she was sick incase she had a retained egg. I think it usually works in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom