So I think I am going to design a Chameleon Care app...

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
I am have not completely decided on this yet. However, I have an assignment that calls for me to create an original Android app, and I'm having trouble thinking of anything that will truly be original, outside of Chameleons lol. There's some games, and wallpaper on the app store, but I don't see anything involving chameleon care / information.

At first, I was thinking about making a "log sheet", where you can enter things to keep track of. Such as how many of each type of bug your chameleon eats in a day, temps/humidity. But I am now thinking a straight up care sheet type of thing might be way more beneficial in reality.

I am thinking of doing this for Panthers, Veiled, and Jacksons chameleons.

I'd like to make this really straight forward, easy for beginners to understand. A straight up, step by step guide to helping their chameleon thrive.

For example, once the app opens, it will have 3 buttons w/ photos of each chameleon. You click on that chameleon and then it would take you to another screen that will give a list of options based on that specific breed of chameleons' needs.

I'd like it to go start to finish. Once you click on a Panther chameleon, It would have options like this:

General - What to expect, How much a chameleon costs (To purchase intially, and care for.), Where to purchase chameleon from, etc

Enclosure - Type / Size cage, lights, suggested accessories, how to set up, where to purchase

Husbandry - What goes in the enclosure, temps, humidity,

Food - What this type of chameleon eats, how much/often, supplementation, bug keeping/care, Where to purchase bugs

Resources - Where to go for help (I would like to reference the forums if that is okay), how to search for the right vet near you

What do you think? I am feeling this would be a good opportunity to do something original (being graded on originality amongst other things), and further spread good, correct info on chameleon care. If you have any ideas on what else should be added, please feel free to let me know. I am trying to keep it simple, while providing the basic care needed for each of these types of chameleons (since they seem to be the most popular). I was thinking of going into health issues, but I feel that would be better to direct people to the forums, for example.

I love that! I also wonder how difficult it would be to include:

- 'care reminders' like when to mist, lights turn on, feed etc.
- I love the idea of being able to log everything as well and create it in a way to easily share it with others to review. I log all my reptile's care in spreadsheets I have created so when I have a concern, I can just send what I have been doing to my vet or on here to review to see what I can improve on.

How cool would it be to link the app to this site? Maybe they work together somehow?

Love the support in finding a vet as well, I was lucky that my dog vet is also a really good exotic vet so I didn't end up having to search hard for one AFTER I got my first chameleon. However, I know most people will not be in a similar situation and need guidance on this piece.

I love that! I also wonder how difficult it would be to include:

- 'care reminders' like when to mist, lights turn on, feed etc.
- I love the idea of being able to log everything as well and create it in a way to easily share it with others to review. I log all my reptile's care in spreadsheets I have created so when I have a concern, I can just send what I have been doing to my vet or on here to review to see what I can improve on.

How cool would it be to link the app to this site? Maybe they work together somehow?

Love the support in finding a vet as well, I was lucky that my dog vet is also a really good exotic vet so I didn't end up having to search hard for one AFTER I got my first chameleon. However, I know most people will not be in a similar situation and need guidance on this piece.

I was thinking about all of this. But I am trying to balance how in depth I want to make this for myself lol This is going to be my first Android app. As long as it's alright with the forums, I will definitely at least add the forums as contact info. It would be cool to even have the app provide access to the forums. It could be linked that way (I'll seek permission if I decide to try this).

The logging system is something I really like as well. I just don't want to get into a rabbit hole. For example, if I allow it to log temps, I have to include day/night temps. But then it needs to include different areas of the enclosure, as well. So I have to balance that if I decide to do it. That would be a lot of data it would have to store. And I am unsure of the limitations I'll have once this is all said and done.

I am have not completely decided on this yet. However, I have an assignment that calls for me to create an original Android app, and I'm having trouble thinking of anything that will truly be original, outside of Chameleons lol. There's some games, and wallpaper on the app store, but I don't see anything involving chameleon care / information.

At first, I was thinking about making a "log sheet", where you can enter things to keep track of. Such as how many of each type of bug your chameleon eats in a day, temps/humidity. But I am now thinking a straight up care sheet type of thing might be way more beneficial in reality.

I am thinking of doing this for Panthers, Veiled, and Jacksons chameleons.

I'd like to make this really straight forward, easy for beginners to understand. A straight up, step by step guide to helping their chameleon thrive.

For example, once the app opens, it will have 3 buttons w/ photos of each chameleon. You click on that chameleon and then it would take you to another screen that will give a list of options based on that specific breed of chameleons' needs.

I'd like it to go start to finish. Once you click on a Panther chameleon, It would have options like this:

General - What to expect, How much a chameleon costs (To purchase intially, and care for.), Where to purchase chameleon from, etc

Enclosure - Type / Size cage, lights, suggested accessories, how to set up, where to purchase

Husbandry - What goes in the enclosure, temps, humidity,

Food - What this type of chameleon eats, how much/often, supplementation, bug keeping/care, Where to purchase bugs

Resources - Where to go for help (I would like to reference the forums if that is okay), how to search for the right vet near you

What do you think? I am feeling this would be a good opportunity to do something original (being graded on originality amongst other things), and further spread good, correct info on chameleon care. If you have any ideas on what else should be added, please feel free to let me know. I am trying to keep it simple, while providing the basic care needed for each of these types of chameleons (since they seem to be the most popular). I was thinking of going into health issues, but I feel that would be better to direct people to the forums, for example.
I think this is a great idea! this would help a lot of people with supplements and things like that. the supplements are the reason I'm on this forum, and I would probably be in a bit of trouble if I didn't find any help. there's a lot of false information that people will give, (such as some people at the Petco near me.) and finding all the TRUE information on one app would be amazing!

I think this is a great idea! this would help a lot of people with supplements and things like that. the supplements are the reason I'm on this forum, and I would probably be in a bit of trouble if I didn't find any help. there's a lot of false information that people will give, (such as some people at the Petco near me.) and finding all the TRUE information on one app would be amazing!
Yeah I think I should keep it basic, but have that most basic but important information. I am basically going to be gearing this towards those exact people who find themselves in a Petsmart thinking "wow that chameleon is so cute! Let's get one!!"

I've been there myself and I wish I had better info BEFORE I was in that position. At least with this, maybe it's a way for people to find out some of that important info on the spot. Most people search for an app first these days. So, I think this could work. Thank you!!!

Yeah I think I should keep it basic, but have that most basic but important information. I am basically going to be gearing this towards those exact people who find themselves in a Petsmart thinking "wow that chameleon is so cute! Let's get one!!"

I've been there myself and I wish I had better info BEFORE I was in that position. At least with this, maybe it's a way for people to find out some of that important info on the spot. Most people search for an app first these days. So, I think this could work. Thank you!!!
Fantastic. Keep us updated on how things go. I love this idea and think it could be so beneficial to the community.

Very rough sketch of what I'm envisioning this app to look like :) This would be the 1st / main page of the app

1694296554902.png

Last edited:
Ok so I've finished the first draft of my design for this app. I was wondering if you guys didn't mind to take a look at what I've come up with so far. Please keep in mind, I had to work on this very quickly. So I could really use some help to verify the info is good, and let me know if anything should be corrected.

Please understand I could only go so in-depth as I was trying to balance space, keeping it simple as possible for absolute beginners, etc. The pictures (except the one of Spike lol) were just grabbed from the internet and will be replaced when this comes to fruition. So eventually, I plan on making a post asking people to submit pics for me to use :) Anyway.... let me know what you think so far please!

Home.jpg
PantherCage.jpg
PantherLighting.jpg
PantherSchedule.jpg
PantherFoodt.jpg
VeiledCage.jpg
VeiledLighting.jpg
VeiledSchedule.jpg
VeiledFood.jpg

The Jackson's only needs D3 and a multivitamin 1x a month. Other than that everything looks great!!!!
TY so much for this... Jacksons are completely new to me as I'm doing this so I really appreciate this. I have no experience with them. (....YET 🙃)

Where are you pulling your info for this?

Jackson supplementation is incorrect they should only get the multivitamin once a month.

Back
Top Bottom