Warning: New Reptibreeze Design Issue

Katy52

Hiya Cham keepers!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend :)

I have just purchased a new reptibreeze to replace my current old one and noticed zoomed have changed the design of the panels - in a way that is causing a big problem in my attempt to replace the mesh screen with PVC.

I wanted to warn any other buyers who want to create a hybrid enclosure AND see if anyone has any solutions. Please HELP!

Previous design:
The mesh panels were held in a U shaped groove in the aluminium frame, with a rubber spline = super easy to replace the mesh with pvc using the same spline

New design:
The mesh is now held in a V shaped groove using a type of window screen trimming (can’t identify its correct name despite extensive asking in DIY shops)
= trim can’t be reused (it breaks and the pvc doesn’t fit under it)

Problem: How to attach the PVC screen to the aluminium frame?!

• Spline doesn’t work due to the new V shape groove, it doesn’t get any grip. Could be used to help hold the PVC in the groove but needs glue also.
  • Struggling to find a glue that will bond it. Any ideas?
Materials
1. Aluminium bonding to PVC
2. Then potentially PVC bonding to rubber spline, if the spline is needed to give extra security to step 1/bond 1

I have attached photos that hopefully make sense!

If anyone has any suggestions I would be massively grateful, I’ve been trying to solve this for 3 weeks and starting to think the enclosure isn’t workable

Thank you!

Katy

PHOTOS
*I painted the frame green before realising this issue!

Photo 1 & 2: profile of new tape compared to spline in previous design.

Photo 3: PVC sample with spline in new frame V groove - it’s shallow so spline doesnt have grip on its own

Photo 4: new tape design in the frame, as received by manufacturer

Photo 5: frame once the tape is removed

IMG_6847.jpeg
IMG_6848.jpeg
IMG_6845.jpeg
IMG_6840.jpeg IMG_6841.jpeg

Why the heck would they change this? Yeah…I know…money. Now when you get any significant damage to the screen, you can’t replace it and will have to buy a new one. :rolleyes:
The only glue I can think that might work is Gorilla Glue. I would also try sanding and roughing up where you need it to adhere so it has better grip. A Dremel might be able to fit in that little space.

It’s so frustrating! I can’t return it either because I painted it before I realised 🤦🏻‍♀️
It was so easy to customise before dammit… thank you I will try sanding!

I got a Reptibreeze XL for $75.00 shipped on Chewy. Considering the cost and stress involved in repairs, I wouldn’t consider fixing that. They’re so cheap it’s just a matter of replacement for me.

So you are using the marine grade vinyl not pvc hard sheets? Your going to have a heck of a time putting the marine grade vinyl in if that is there new design. This needs to go in smooth so you have to stretch it to get it to have a nice smooth finish. If you want this look then I do not see a way to do this vinyl on this new style. You could go with a DIYCages https://www.diycages.com/collection...ducts/sc4-48x24x24-jumbo-vertical-screen-cage Not only does this one have a much stronger frame but you could do the marine grade vinyl like your used to.

Hi @Beman :)

Yes I’ve got marine grade vinyl pvc, as you predict it’s proving really difficult to get an adhesive that works.

Epoxy glue sort of sticks BUT it has such a potent smell I’m worried about using it. Do you know if it’s safe to use inside an enclosure? (After it has cured/gassed off of course)

I have considered solid pvc sheets but I thought I would have the same problem with adhesive / even thin sheets would be too heavy?

Thank you so much for your help!!

I read a post recently about affixing coroplast sheets inside the enclosure as opposed to the outside. I can’t believe it took me this long to read something like that but now I want all my coroplast inside the cages!

Hi @Beman :)

Yes I’ve got marine grade vinyl pvc, as you predict it’s proving really difficult to get an adhesive that works.

Epoxy glue sort of sticks BUT it has such a potent smell I’m worried about using it. Do you know if it’s safe to use inside an enclosure? (After it has cured/gassed off of course)

I have considered solid pvc sheets but I thought I would have the same problem with adhesive / even thin sheets would be too heavy?

Thank you so much for your help!!

IGNORE ABOVE - just checked the epoxy resin packet and it says toxic to marine life, so that’s a no go!

I’m going to try the marine vinyl with one more product then call it quits and switch to solid pvc sheets.

Do you know if the following would be safe / strong bonding?

- PVC pipe cement (this sounds so odd?!)
- HA6 marine grade silicone sealant

Honestly the world of adhesives is so confusing…

Thank you!!

IGNORE ABOVE - just checked the epoxy resin packet and it says toxic to marine life, so that’s a no go!

I’m going to try the marine vinyl with one more product then call it quits and switch to solid pvc sheets.

Do you know if the following would be safe / strong bonding?

- PVC pipe cement (this sounds so odd?!)
- HA6 marine grade silicone sealant

Honestly the world of adhesives is so confusing…

Thank you!!
Uggg so when I converted my cage to an all hybrid with solid pvc I gave up on finding something that would adhere the pvc board to my aluminum frame. Honestly because I was extremely concerned with using anything that could possibly be toxic. I thought about safe silicone but just did not have the time for this to fully cure. I ended up fitting the panels directly to the outside of the cage frame securing them and then drilling tiny tiny holes through both the pvc and the cage frame. Then I used stainless steel 1/4 inch screws to attach it. Nope it is not by any means pretty lol but it works.

I have seen lots of people start adding the panels to the inside of the cage as well.

I think it just depends on how much time you have to work on the project.

@crosscutts is the guy I turn to for all things building. He knows his stuff. He would know far more than I about what you might use to bond the stuff.

I attached my pvc panels with some heavy duty command strips and it worked. I stuck the command strips to the metal frame. I didn’t find that the pvc panels worked as well as the clear plastic shower curtain so I eventually took them down and replaced them with a new shower curtain.

You can use the PVC glue, but you just want to keep it from the inside of the cage (tape it off or wipe it up real quick. Put it on very perfectly as far as the edges 100% pure silicone is the same thing as marine grade silicone. It won’t harm animals. The irony is the silicone will also hold it in place fairly well. And it’s easy to remove if you have to. A lot of times I will use silicone as an adhesive. If it’s not something that needs to be held strongly together but if I was doing a PVC enclosure, I would put small screws in also just to ensure that it stays together in that situation, I would use the fine cabinet screws . They work and PVC.

@naterowley did you see this? I know you have been doing a lot of mods on your enclosures. Do you have any advice?
I started wanting to try and remove it like this, didnt seem to want to work so I used a razor blade and cut the screen out and used 1/16" acrylic attached with clear double sided outdoor rated tape and it's been holding up WONDERFULLY so far. The heaviness on the door isn't TOO bad but it's definitely noticeable in terms of the flex you see on it it

I started wanting to try and remove it like this, didnt seem to want to work so I used a razor blade and cut the screen out and used 1/16" acrylic attached with clear double sided outdoor rated tape and it's been holding up WONDERFULLY so far. The heaviness on the door isn't TOO bad but it's definitely noticeable in terms of the flex you see on it it
Careful with tape... If it is anywhere the cham can get to it.

I figured you would but I gotta be my helicopter mom self and just make sure. :hilarious:
Pictures below, with Dax bonus pic being like why does this man take so many pictures of me? He got two bonus silks as reward for putting up with me and he will now regularly eat from my hand 🥹🥹

Attachments

• IMG_8118.jpeg
    IMG_8118.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8119.jpeg
    IMG_8119.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8120.jpeg
    IMG_8120.jpeg
    662.1 KB · Views: 11
Pictures below, with Dax bonus pic being like why does this man take so many pictures of me? He got two bonus silks as reward for putting up with me and he will now regularly eat from my hand 🥹🥹
Dax is such a darling! Congrats he will eat out of your hand. Its such an honor when our chameleons will eat out of our hands.

Okay so his rec was JB Weld. They do have a Waterweld that is approved for potable water tanks. I read into some aquarium forums that say they've used the other forms (JB Weld and JB Kwik) without issue after calling JB Weld. The aquarium forums said the company, "saw no reason it could not be used as it was basically inert once it was cured" but don't use one of the forms with the steel additive due to the metal in it.

Husband also added: "The first application for pvc bonding is usually an etchant of some kind. Always roughen the surface and clean with alcohol before applying."

Back
Top Bottom