Exploring Regional Variations in Chameleon Care: Share Your Local Insights!

Fred_Scott

Greetings, fellow chameleon enthusiasts!

As we all know, chameleons are a fascinating and diverse group of lizards, with many species spread across different continents and habitats. From the misty mountains of Madagascar to the warm climates of the Middle East and the varied landscapes of the United States, these creatures have adapted to a wide range of environmental conditions. This diversity often means that what works for one chameleon keeper might not work for another, depending on where they live.

With this in mind, I thought it would be incredibly valuable for us to share insights on how chameleon care practices vary by region. Whether you're from the humid tropics, dry deserts, or temperate forests, your experiences are unique and can help others understand the breadth of care needed for these animals.

Here are a few discussion starters:

1. Climate Considerations: How do you adjust your chameleon's habitat to suit the local climate? Do you use special equipment to manage humidity and temperature?
  2. Dietary Adjustments: Are there any local feeder insects or plants that you incorporate into your chameleon's diet? How do you ensure they get the right nutrition based on what's available in your area?
  3. Veterinary Care: What has been your experience with finding a vet knowledgeable about chameleons in your region? Share any tips for fellow keepers on how to find and work with vets who understand these unique pets.
  4. Cultural Practices and Perceptions: How are chameleons perceived in your culture? Are there any traditional views or practices related to chameleon care that you've incorporated or adapted?
  5. Legal and Ethical Considerations: What laws in your country or state affect how you keep and care for chameleons? This can include import restrictions, captive breeding, and release into the wild.
  6. Conservation Efforts: Are there any local conservation efforts that you participate in or that influence how you keep your chameleons?
I'll start off by sharing my experience. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I find that maintaining a stable and high humidity level is crucial, especially during the dry summer months. I use a combination of misting systems and live plants to keep the humidity up. For diet, I've been experimenting with locally sourced insects, which seem to be a hit with my veiled chameleon.

Now it's your turn! No matter if you're a seasoned keeper or new to the hobby, your input is valuable. Let's learn from each other and help make our chameleon friends' lives as healthy and happy as possible.

Looking forward to your stories and tips!

Hi there welcome to the forum. My name is Becca and I have been a member of the forum the last 5 years. My hands on experience is mainly with Male Veiled Chameleons. I will give feedback to a few of your topics.

For Climate Considerations: I started in this hobby living in Eureka, CA which is on the coast in Northern California almost to Oregon. There it is very humid and temps year round stay in the 50-65 range. Ambient house humidity would easily reach 60%. Living here I had to run a 40 pint dehumidifier during the day to keep my cage ambient humidity down to 45% daytime on basking level and sitting closer to 60 down middle to bottom of cage. Without the dehumidifier my levels would sit at 80% in the cages. I also did not have a morning misting as this would make it extremely hard for me to lower my ambient humidity in my cages. I ran all hybrid enclosures to stabilize my temps and humidity with all live potted plants. Late evening and night I would run my misting sessions. It was very easy to reach 95% humidity in the cages with a low of 62 at night.

Then I moved to Northern AZ. Flagstaff AZ is high mountain desert. Where I am the elevation is 8,000 ft above sea level. Ambient household humidity sits around 10-15%. Winters are extreme cold and summers are extremely hot reaching temps of 97. I still run hybrid enclosures with all live potted plants. I had to increase misting sessions drastically here. Running anywhere from 5-7 minutes at a time which includes a morning misting, late afternoon misting, an evening misting, and a few short 2 minute mistings at night. Running these I am able to get a stable 45-50% daytime ambient level. Then with the later longer misting sessions I can keep a stable 70-85% range. I still can get night time temp drops down to about 62-65. But I have to run an air conditioner in the summer months to maintain both daytime ambient and night time levels.

For Veterinary Care: In California I had a decent vet that was able to run blood work and fecals. Her working knowledge of husbandry was similar to a brand new keeper reading info off google.
In Arizona I now have a vet that is extremely comfortable with all aspects of vet care I could need. Her working knowledge of husbandry is more up to date yet she said I know their care better than her.
I think having a vet that understands the actual medical side is more important than one that understands their husbandry. It was extremely hard for me to find both of my vets. And had I been brand new to the hobby I do not think I would have had the understanding to know the difference between a capable vet and one that should not see chameleons.

Greetings, fellow chameleon enthusiasts!

As we all know, chameleons are a fascinating and diverse group of lizards, with many species spread across different continents and habitats. From the misty mountains of Madagascar to the warm climates of the Middle East and the varied landscapes of the United States, these creatures have adapted to a wide range of environmental conditions. This diversity often means that what works for one chameleon keeper might not work for another, depending on where they live.

With this in mind, I thought it would be incredibly valuable for us to share insights on how chameleon care practices vary by region. Whether you're from the humid tropics, dry deserts, or temperate forests, your experiences are unique and can help others understand the breadth of care needed for these animals.

Here are a few discussion starters:

1. Climate Considerations: How do you adjust your chameleon's habitat to suit the local climate? Do you use special equipment to manage humidity and temperature?
  2. Dietary Adjustments: Are there any local feeder insects or plants that you incorporate into your chameleon's diet? How do you ensure they get the right nutrition based on what's available in your area?
  3. Veterinary Care: What has been your experience with finding a vet knowledgeable about chameleons in your region? Share any tips for fellow keepers on how to find and work with vets who understand these unique pets.
  4. Cultural Practices and Perceptions: How are chameleons perceived in your culture? Are there any traditional views or practices related to chameleon care that you've incorporated or adapted?
  5. Legal and Ethical Considerations: What laws in your country or state affect how you keep and care for chameleons? This can include import restrictions, captive breeding, and release into the wild.
  6. Conservation Efforts: Are there any local conservation efforts that you participate in or that influence how you keep your chameleons?
I'll start off by sharing my experience. Living in the Pacific Northwest, I find that maintaining a stable and high humidity level is crucial, especially during the dry summer months. I use a combination of misting systems and live plants to keep the humidity up. For diet, I've been experimenting with locally sourced insects, which seem to be a hit with my veiled chameleon.

Now it's your turn! No matter if you're a seasoned keeper or new to the hobby, your input is valuable. Let's learn from each other and help make our chameleon friends' lives as healthy and happy as possible.

Looking forward to your stories and tips!
When setting up a habitat, for chameleons it's important to keep in mind that they are animals and have an inclination to climb. For chameleons a suitable enclosure should have dimensions of least 16" x 16" x 30" while adult chameleons require a minimum of 24" x 24" x 48". It is recommended to use screened enclosures for ventilation and make sure to include toxic plants and branches within the habitat for climbing purposes. It's best to avoid using glass enclosures as they may not provide airflow.

Maintaining the temperature gradient is crucial for chameleon health. The cooler end of the enclosure should be maintained between 72 80°F while the basking area should be warmer at 85 100°F depending on the species. During nighttime temperatures can drop slightly to around 65 75°F. To accurately monitor temperatures in both the warm areas of the habitat it is advisable to use thermometers. Additionally providing full spectrum UVB lighting for 10 12 hours each day is essential as it helps chameleons absorb calcium and prevents metabolic bone disease. To ensure UVB exposure position the branch in the enclosure around 6 12 inches below the cages roof.

When it comes to hydration and humidity needs chameleons do not typically drink from standing water bowls, like animals do. Instead they rely on licking droplets from leaves and branches within their environment.
To ensure that chameleons stay properly hydrated it is important to mist them. During the day they need a humidity level of 50% while, at night the humidity should be, between 80% and 100%. To achieve the daytime humidity using plants can be helpful. Additionally a fogger machine can be used at a setting to maintain the required humidity levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
When setting up a habitat, for chameleons it's important to keep in mind that they are animals and have an inclination to climb. For chameleons a suitable enclosure should have dimensions of least 16" x 16" x 30" while adult chameleons require a minimum of 24" x 24" x 48". It is recommended to use screened enclosures for ventilation and make sure to include toxic plants and branches within the habitat for climbing purposes. It's best to avoid using glass enclosures as they may not provide airflow.

Maintaining the temperature gradient is crucial for chameleon health. The cooler end of the enclosure should be maintained between 72 80°F while the basking area should be warmer at 85 100°F depending on the species. During nighttime temperatures can drop slightly to around 65 75°F. To accurately monitor temperatures in both the warm areas of the habitat it is advisable to use thermometers. Additionally providing full spectrum UVB lighting for 10 12 hours each day is essential as it helps chameleons absorb calcium and prevents metabolic bone disease. To ensure UVB exposure position the branch in the enclosure around 6 12 inches below the cages roof.

When it comes to hydration and humidity needs chameleons do not typically drink from standing water bowls, like animals do. Instead they rely on licking droplets from leaves and branches within their environment.
To ensure that chameleons stay properly hydrated it is important to mist them. During the day they need a humidity level of 50% while, at night the humidity should be, between 80% and 100%. To achieve the daytime humidity using plants can be helpful. Additionally a fogger machine can be used at a setting to maintain the required humidity levels.

I also read an interesting essay on the subject, I think the site was called fastessay.com, but I'm not sure.
I really enjoyed reading your insights on setting up a habitat for chameleons! Based on my experience I would like to add a couple of points. It's extremely important to make sure that the plants and branches you use are safe and non toxic, for chameleons. Including a variety of plants, like pothos, ficus and hibiscus not gives them climbing opportunities but also helps maintain the right level of humidity.

When it comes to temperature it's worth noting that different chameleon species may have temperature preferences. For instance Veiled Chameleons often require basking temperatures compared to Panther Chameleons.

Lastly when it comes to keeping them hydrated automated misting systems can make a difference. These systems help maintain humidity levels and simulate rainfall, which encourages chameleons to drink water. Remember that the key is to recreate their environment accurately as possible for their overall health and well being.

A lot of the info you are saying here is incorrect....

Basking at 100 would be extremely harmful for a chameleon. In this hobby nothing ever over 90 is suggested. New line of thinking is that basking should be a range of 80-85 max. Having an ambient of 80 is much too high. You want low 70's for daytime ambient.

Giving distance on UVB without knowing the UVB type, bulb strength, fixture type, or type of screen it is going through while sitting on top of a cage is very inaccurate. A 12 inch distance for someone using a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb and T5HO fixture will produce extremely low UVI levels. Much lower than the 3 UVI that is suggested for most commonly kept chameleons. If someone were to use a T8 fixture with 5.0 or 10.0 bulb then even 6 inches away is pushing it and at 12 there would be no UVI exposure.

Not all species need 50% daytime humidity. There are ranges they can be kept in. For example a veiled can be in the 30-50% range. You mention a fogger being used. But if a fogger is used during the day a chameleon can develop a respiratory infection. Also only cool mist fogging machines should be used.

Both of the links where I guess you pulled this info from have a lot of incorrect info. I think in the future suggesting people go to these sites would be best not to do. I have removed your external links because these are not places where people will get accurate info. I do not know if these are your websites and that is why you are posting them here but I would appreciate it if you do not post them as they are inaccurate and could cause major health complications should a new keeper follow some of the recommendations.

A lot of the info you are saying here is incorrect....

Basking at 100 would be extremely harmful for a chameleon. In this hobby nothing ever over 90 is suggested. New line of thinking is that basking should be a range of 80-85 max. Having an ambient of 80 is much too high. You want low 70's for daytime ambient.

Giving distance on UVB without knowing the UVB type, bulb strength, fixture type, or type of screen it is going through while sitting on top of a cage is very inaccurate. A 12 inch distance for someone using a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb and T5HO fixture will produce extremely low UVI levels. Much lower than the 3 UVI that is suggested for most commonly kept chameleons. If someone were to use a T8 fixture with 5.0 or 10.0 bulb then even 6 inches away is pushing it and at 12 there would be no UVI exposure.

Not all species need 50% daytime humidity. There are ranges they can be kept in. For example a veiled can be in the 30-50% range. You mention a fogger being used. But if a fogger is used during the day a chameleon can develop a respiratory infection. Also only cool mist fogging machines should be used.

Both of the links where I guess you pulled this info from have a lot of incorrect info. I think in the future suggesting people go to these sites would be best not to do. I have removed your external links because these are not places where people will get accurate info. I do not know if these are your websites and that is why you are posting them here but I would appreciate it if you do not post them as they are inaccurate and could cause major health complications should a new keeper follow some of the recommendations.
I'm sorry, for the details. I came across those websites on the internet. They don't belong to me. I really appreciate you bringing these corrections to my attention. It's crucial to share information especially when it comes to a hobby like caring for chameleons, where the health and happiness of these remarkable creatures are at stake. Thank you for clarifying the temperature requirements for warming emphasizing the significance of specifying UV lighting details and highlighting the humidity levels, for different chameleon species.

I'm sorry, for the details. I came across those websites on the internet. They don't belong to me. I really appreciate you bringing these corrections to my attention. It's crucial to share information especially when it comes to a hobby like caring for chameleons, where the health and happiness of these remarkable creatures are at stake. Thank you for clarifying the temperature requirements for warming emphasizing the significance of specifying UV lighting details and highlighting the humidity levels, for different chameleon species.
No worries, I just wanted to bring it to your attention and make sure new keepers in the forum were not getting the incorrect info. Unfortunately in this hobby there are so many outdated or just totally incorrect sites for chameleon husbandry. There are only a few places we refer to outside of the forum. https://chameleonacademy.com/ is one that is totally accurate for husbandry. It is kept updated as information in our hobby changes. For videos that are accurate https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon

We see so many threads come in here because someone thought they were reading information from accurate sources. They implement that information and the results are everything from thermal burns, MBD, URI, and more.

Google search for chameleon information can lead to horrible outcomes for new keepers.

Many sites with chameleon care information were started with the best of intentions but as more information has come to light they no longer the best source. Currently our resource section is undergoing an overhaul's to bring it up to date. Hopefully, chameleons willing and the creek don’t rise it could be up early next year.

Back
Top Bottom