What are the Benefits of Bioactive Enclosures for Chameleons? Share Your Experiences and Insights

raj_345

In this discussion topic on Chameleon Forums, let's explore the numerous benefits of utilizing bioactive enclosures for chameleons. We invite users to share their personal experiences and insights regarding the advantages of creating a bioactive habitat for these captivating reptiles. How has a bioactive setup positively impacted your chameleon's overall well-being? Have you noticed improvements in their behavior, activity levels, or feeding patterns? How does a bioactive environment promote naturalistic behaviors and mental stimulation? Additionally, feel free to discuss any practical tips, recommended plant species, substrate choices, or maintenance strategies related to bioactive enclosures. Join the conversation and enlighten us with your valuable knowledge and observations!

Guess you could say i went bio active. Mine was a bunch of potted plants in a open water basin.

Positives:
no poop cleanup needed
increased humdity without the need for humidifiers/foggers
Dont have to worry about dead feeders rotting
Generally dont have to empty water basins from misting, the plants evaporate it for you
The ability to have very large/tall plants, mine were 6ft tall
Bonus, the cham was at eye level when i get home due to said plants
Another bonus, escape supers will turn into giant beetles with no help

Cons:
Some plants did not adapt to the water basin, and dead plants overload the bio system
2 cases of feeders falling in love and producing a sea of nymphs that needed cleaned out
metal and wood rotting out. Generally everything has to be outdoor rated black plastic
Its not really adaptable, you have to plan very well because once setup its semi permanent, and very heavy

Chameleon improvements:
zero hunger strikes in 6 years
zero URI during dry northern winters (still got URI if humidifier was used in the past)
cham would get bored and could be seen hunting once he realized escape feeders were walking around, and super beetles are his favorite crunchy snack.

@nightanole is right on the money!

Personally experienced these same results with my panther and now again with my veiled. Also noticed that they are hydrated way better then before! The last big plus of bioactive are growing little ( unintentional ) plants and mushrooms. Added a pic of a little ink cap thats growing in the enclosure!

Attachments

• 20230516_164358.jpg
    20230516_164358.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom