Skinny chameleons (ribs)

flypdoink

Hi guys, (I wrote this topic this morning, but I've added some information about my chameleon and his terrarium. Sorry for not doing that earlier!)

I just checked the temperature in Thomas's flexarium, and I noticed that his ribs were kind of sticking out and that he has a little lump on the side of his stomach. I know that I need to look out for things like these, and I'm wondering if any of you would advice me to take further actions. Here's some information about him:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon: veiled chameleon, male, six month old. We got him two days ago, on June 4.
Handling - I've handled him about 4 times so far: 1) to put in the terrarium (6-4-12), 2) and 3) to put in some new branches, 4) and 5) to put in some more branches later in the day (last four times on 6-5-12)
Feeding - crickets, about 6 a day, 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. I gut-load them with vitamin supplement and pieces of apple
Supplements - I use Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-All and Vit-All. I dust them slightly with every second feeding and feed them vitamins every other day
Watering - I use a dripper system that drops every 5-10 seconds on fake leaves that lead to a real plant below, I saw him drinking from it this morning. I mist twice daily for a few seconds (and I'm wondering if I need to do it longer)
Fecal Description - Has not been tested yet, and I'm still a little nervous because I can't see any feces on the bottom
History - n.a.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I have a screen flexarium 70x70x40 cm
Lighting - I use a Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 60w, at about 12 inches from where he can sit at the highest point. I also used a Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb 60w (UVA), but we're buying a UVB today because the basking lamp also provides UVA and I'm not giving my chameleon any UVB (were were grossly misinformed by the salesperson). Lights go on and of at 8, and are both outside of the cage.
Temperature - Cage floor and overnight is 65 degrees Fahrenheit, the basking spot is 81. The middle of the cage is around 72. I measure at the bottom, near the walls in the middle and near the basking lamp and his sitting spot at the top, with thermostats from the pet store.
Humidity - humidity level is 60-65% during the day, and 60% at night. I measure this with a hygrometer from the pet store
Plants - I have a number of fake leaf branches spread across the flexarium. We also have one Bromelia and one Dipladenia
Placement - Where is your cage located? - The flexarium is placed against a wall that creates sort of a corner between two other walls. There are no windows nearby, except for the one in the kitchen, which is around the corner. It's next to our couch, but we usually sit a little farther away from him. He is currently on the ground, but we'll be buying a table for him tomorrow or the day after that.
Location - We live in the Netherlands

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 449
you have to gutload your crickets way better than with apple. Use a variety of fresh greens, veggies and fruits. Check out member Sandrachameleon's page she will teach you everything there is to know about gutloading. Your chameleon does look very thin. You need to feed something else besides crickets and you are not feeding him enough. What size are your crickets? If they are small he should be getting atleast a 12-15 or more a day. At 6 months he is still growing. You are underfeeding him. Also is your Minerall the indoor or outdoor forumla? if it is the indoor, you want to use that only twice a month. If it is the outdoor, then use that daily to dust your feeders. Use your multivitamin twice a month also. If you have the outdoor forumula, you need to get the indoor or get a calcium that has NO d3. Supplementing with too much d3 can cause harm to your chameleon. All basking lights provide uva so you really only need one. So right now you are basically using the same bulb in two different locations. If you want to use two that is ok but make sure one is lower wattage so there is somewhere at the top of the cage that is not always hot. The UVB is critical so glad you are getting that. You can also take him outside in the sun. That is great for them. Don't know what kind of weather you have over there though!. Lastly, I do not know what kind of feeders are available to you over there but you really need to change up the diet with more than crickets. Do you guys, have silkworms, superworms, hornworms, butterworms, etc?

you have to gutload your crickets way better than with apple. Use a variety of fresh greens, veggies and fruits. Check out member Sandrachameleon's page she will teach you everything there is to know about gutloading. Your chameleon does look very thin. You need to feed something else besides crickets and you are not feeding him enough. What size are your crickets? If they are small he should be getting atleast a 12-15 or more a day. At 6 months he is still growing. You are underfeeding him. Also is your Minerall the indoor or outdoor forumla? if it is the indoor, you want to use that only twice a month. If it is the outdoor, then use that daily to dust your feeders. Use your multivitamin twice a month also. If you have the outdoor forumula, you need to get the indoor or get a calcium that has NO d3. Supplementing with too much d3 can cause harm to your chameleon. All basking lights provide uva so you really only need one. So right now you are basically using the same bulb in two different locations. If you want to use two that is ok but make sure one is lower wattage so there is somewhere at the top of the cage that is not always hot. The UVB is critical so glad you are getting that. You can also take him outside in the sun. That is great for them. Don't know what kind of weather you have over there though!. Lastly, I do not know what kind of feeders are available to you over there but you really need to change up the diet with more than crickets. Do you guys, have silkworms, superworms, hornworms, butterworms, etc?

Thank you SO MUCH Carol for this information. I have some uncertainties about Thomas (honestly, I can't believe he's already six months old, because I see other veiled chams that look much more grown up), but what you told me really helps.

The salesperson didn't really inform me about the feeding insects. He told me they needed Vit-all every day, and no fruits and vegetables. He also told me my cham would only eat crickets. My fiancé is currently buying some more different kinds of insects.

I'll do my best to get him to look nice and healthy!

Back
Top Bottom