signs of stress

BatCity93

hello everyone, from all of your experiences with chameleons, in particular panther chameleons, what were signs of stress the chameleon exhibited and how did you deal with this. my little guy how is 3.5 months old is darker than usual, and does not eat as much as he use to. i got him a new basking bulb but he is still dark. the only good thing is that he is awake during the day and sleeps at night, which is normal. can anyone give me any advice on how to fix this problem. thank you.

also i do have a bearded dragon on the opposite side of where his cage is set, so in other words, on the other side of my room, however this has never been a problem.

Sorry to hear your lil dude is a bit stressed. Stress could be caused by a multitude of factors (EDIT: signs of which can indeed include darker colours and hunger strikes).

If you fill out the customary form someone here will look at your husbandry and see if some improvements can be made:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

chameleon info:
1. the spices is an ambilobe panther chameleon, he is a male, he is around 3.5 months old, and has been in my care for 1 month.
2. before i use to handle him for about 10 min a day, i still try, but since his began getting stressed i stop doing it frequently.
3. i started feeding him small crickets, but than i ran out so i started giving him small roaches that i breed for my other reptiles, he was eating them okay but than got stressed and began to eat less than usual, but i have take him back to crickets. he usually eats about 15+ a day, but now only eats about 4-6 a day. well so far iv seen him eat 3. i throw some in the morning, than some in the afternoon. they are gut loaded with repashy bug burger.
4 i dust his food with repashy calcium plus. every other day.
5. i use the monsoon rs4000 to mist his cage it goes on about 3 time a day, plus i occasionally mist with a spry bottle, iv seen him drink water, but not lately, though he does not exhibit any signs of dehydration.
6. no i dont believe hes ever been tested for parasites, at least not while hes been in care with me. he last dropping looked normal, mainly brown, very very little yellow, and little white. it did not seem to be too dry nor too runny. just normal.
7. hmm come to think about it when i purchased him i did not ask for his history, but i bought him at a reptile expo from breeder called KAMMERFLAGE KREATIONS. they also have a website http://chameleonsonly.com/ originally i was going to buy a chameleon from them online, but i found them at the expo.

Cage info:
1. it is an all screen care, that is 18 inches tall and 12 inches in length and width.
2. for basking, i now use an exo terra 50w, called the intense basking spot, i use to use a nigh black heat bulb, works great for my other reptiles. as for the uvb it is the reptisun 5.0 from zoo med. his lights stay on from 7 in the morning to 7 at night.
3. at the basking spot his temperature is at 90 degrees, at the bottom im not too sure around 70, at night my room drops to the high 60's like 69. for him i use thermometer not digital though.
4. the humidity is at 35, that is low, how do you keep your humidity high? anyway, i just mist it, i use a hydrometer not digital.
5. i am currently using fake plants, i want to get him real ones, when he moves into a big cage, however, where would you recommend to buy real plants that do not use pesticides or fertilizer.
6. his cage is located at eye level, not much traffic, as in people, no fans, no vents.
7. i live in southern California.

Current problem.
1. right now im concerned about his darkening coloration, lack of appetite, and lack of activeness. he use to roam around a lot, but now he just stays still looking around.

Side Notes:
the last picture is what he use to look like, before he became stressed.

Attachments

• IMG_0329[1].jpg
    IMG_0329[1].jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0328[1].jpg
    IMG_0328[1].jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0327[1].jpg
    IMG_0327[1].jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_0321[1].jpg
    IMG_0321[1].jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 813
Id say what you have now is fine.. minus is that a water bowl? I would remove instantly and add some more foliage and a pothos or schflerra plant. I'm not too sure about the husbandry of a panther though.

Your feeders need to be gutloaded with fresh fruits and veg as well sometimes ill sprinkle bug Burger or dinofuel on them. I have a separate bin to gutload feeders the day before feeding off. Also I would starting adding some variety in his food.
You can buy anywhere from anywhere really. I remove them and wash them in a trash can.. the leaves branches and stuff because a trash can is easier to stick them in and clean real good to remove the pesticides and whatever else. Then, I repot doesnmatter what type of soil, preferably organic cover with large river rocks. I also use the rocks before I pot in the bottom so the water drains through nicely and doesn't sit in the soil.

Hello! Nice little guy! I'd add more plants and foliage to get him more hiding spots and remove that water bowl from the bottom as suggested in the previous post. He can get darker just to absorb more heat, and he doesn't look stress to me, It will be easier to read is colours signs when he'll get older, you'll see! He's actually mad in your last picture!!:D
Can you see how he gets bigger and brighter when you handle him? I'd probably reduce the handle thing to once a week as he's still so small and explore his new home.
I think I read it somewhere but keeping his tail straight should be a sign of a calm, comfortable cham, instead than curling it up in a kind of a protecting way...
I think He looks healthy and happy.

Oh! Real plants and covering 3 sides of the enclosure with plastic (shower curtains type of stuff or something lighter..) will work as a charm to kee your humidity up!

Hello! Nice little guy! I'd add more plants and foliage to get him more hiding spots and remove that water bowl from the bottom as suggested in the previous post.

Yes, he wants more branches to climb on (a better fit for his feet would be good). More leaves and stuff to hide in. He is probably stressed because he is so exposed.
Actually, if he's sitting still then a curled up tail is a sign that he is calm. (like when sleeping)

Husbandry looks pretty good to me! Lots of good advice been given so far!

Get rid of the bowl at the bottom. Someone recently found their chameleon dead in a water collecting bowl they had. It has been suspected drowned :(

A black light at night shouldn't be necessary.

More foliage and horizontal walkways would improve his activity, as has been said.

Maybe try some different feeders to improve his appetite. Most chamekeons can't say no to a silkworm (a very good feeder, high in calcium and moisture). Butterworms are good too!

Some live plants will help keep your humidity up. There is a list of safe plants here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/

I think your basking temperature could be dropped just a little too. A male panther of about 4 months should be kept at about 80-83 F. Increase the temperature gradually over the next 9-12 months to 90 F.

Hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom