Veiled Chameleon really dark

tknapp9

Hello everyone,
I am a new keeper so I’m still learning a lot about chameleons. I know chameleons will turn darker to absorb more heat but my chameleon is a dark grey and isn’t moving a lot. He is sitting under his basking light but he was a lot more green this morning and was super active during feeding. I’m worried that I stressed him out a lot yesterday when I was trying to take him out to fix something in his cage but couldn’t get him out.
Thank you!!
IMG_6061.jpeg

Hey there so while you have the compact uvb his coloring will not be what it could be. They tend to show more browns when they do not have the correct lighting. You will find as you make changes that we gave you in the other thread he will start to show more vibrant veiled coloring.

Perfect. So you got your distances with the UVB corrected for this one right?

Daylight blue bulb is fine to use. :)

I believe so. I tried to take him out yesterday so I could fix some of the stuff you recommended and I could not get him out of the cage without having to be overly handsy. Which leads me to this problem of I’m not sure if he’s stressed out from me trying to handle him yesterday or he’s just not getting the right amount of heat or UVB so he’s changing colors.

I believe so. I tried to take him out yesterday so I could fix some of the stuff you recommended and I could not get him out of the cage without having to be overly handsy. Which leads me to this problem of I’m not sure if he’s stressed out from me trying to handle him yesterday or he’s just not getting the right amount of heat or UVB so he’s changing colors.
May I see how you have it set up now?

IMG_6064.jpeg
As I said I wasn’t able to get him out so I couldn’t move anything around. I plan to get live plants to replace the fake ones but I want to make sure I can get him out so I can put the new stuff in.

View attachment 345139As I said I wasn’t able to get him out so I couldn’t move anything around. I plan to get live plants to replace the fake ones but I want to make sure I can get him out so I can put the new stuff in.
Ok so with that UVB bulb you want a full 8-9 inch distance to the vines below it.

Sometimes you can coax them out by having one hand in front of them to step up on and one behind them guiding them.

And I think his colors are dull cause of the stress. :)

Ok I’m thinking I’ll leave him alone until he’s a little less stressed out and then try getting him out. I’ve had him for over a week now. Should he be adjusted to the new environment or could that still contribute to the stress?

Ok I’m thinking I’ll leave him alone until he’s a little less stressed out and then try getting him out. I’ve had him for over a week now. Should he be adjusted to the new environment or could that still contribute to the stress?
Oh no these guys can take weeks to adjust... And every little change to their space can set them off. Even just adding a mirror in the room or a colored blanket that they may react badly to the color can set them off.

Are you thinking you will rescreen that cage or just buy a new one?

I'll have to look and compare costs.
When you check you want the aluminum window screen only not the fiber glass type. You can use the twine that is holding the current screen in when you rescreen. And you will want the rolling tool to push it back in. Makes it much easier.

When you check you want the aluminum window screen only not the fiber glass type. You can use the twine that is holding the current screen in when you rescreen. And you will want the rolling tool to push it back in. Makes it much easier.
Got it. Should I try taking him out now and risk stressing him out more to fix his cage now or should I wait till he’s gotten more of his color back to try again?

Got it. Should I try taking him out now and risk stressing him out more to fix his cage now or should I wait till he’s gotten more of his color back to try again?
So I would get everything you need to fix the enclosure. And I would take him out and put him in a cardboard box. With a stick that sits about an inch off the bottom. Make sure there is no sticky tape on the box he can get to. Put like 3 small holes in the top of the box for air. And then when you get him out he goes straight into the box. close it up again making sure he can not get to any tape. He will sleep while you work on the cage.

But by getting everything you need to change stuff and replace screen, add plants and getting it set up you will only have one stressful cage change. Rather than changing a little every few days.

So I would get everything you need to fix the enclosure. And I would take him out and put him in a cardboard box. With a stick that sits about an inch off the bottom. Make sure there is no sticky tape on the box he can get to. Put like 3 small holes in the top of the box for air. And then when you get him out he goes straight into the box. close it up again making sure he can not get to any tape. He will sleep while you work on the cage.

But by getting everything you need to change stuff and replace screen, add plants and getting it set up you will only have one stressful cage change. Rather than changing a little every few days.
Where’s the best place for getting new screens? I thought petsmart would have it but they didn’t (what’s new?).

Where’s the best place for getting new screens? I thought petsmart would have it but they didn’t (what’s new?).
So you need to go to home depot or lowes.... You want to buy aluminum window screen material. It is in a roll. Only the aluminum kind will work for this. So don't buy the fiberglass or anything else.

I just recently rescreened some enclosures. It’s not all that hard to do and you may want to watch some YouTube videos on rescreening. This is the correct screening to use. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48-in-x-25-ft-Charcoal-Aluminum-Screen-3032281/100392860 The regular aluminum (not black) is really hard to see thru. The size spline you’ll need for ReptiBreeze is 0.160 https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-0-160-in-x-100-ft-Black-Spline-3033398/100390964 and you’ll need a spline tool like this. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Barton-Kramer-Screen-Spline-Plastic-Tool-654/205619545 Having done rescreening several times, I can say that the tool that has a cutter on one end sucks. Just use the one I linked and a regular utility knife with a fresh blade.

Back
Top Bottom