Rudis Chameleon Care and Stuff

Ultrakd

Hey, now I know one of the things you guys are going to want to say to this post is get a Veiled. I asked my parents about the Veiled and they dont want one because we would have any place to put a 2'x2'x4' cage. So I was talking with Mike and he recomended a Rudis Cham. I was wondering if you guys could give me some general care and stuff like that. Any pics of Cham and enclosures would be great too. I was thinking of using this for a cage http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptariums-reptarium-accessories-and-explorariums/-/38-gallon-basic-reptarium/. I figured if I got this I could also get a female latter on down the road, and breed them. So breeding info would be helpful too. Anyways thanks guys.

i dont thnk that you will like that type of enclosure, the mesh isnt that good for seeing through and feeders can eat through it. go with an aluminum screened enclosure, LLL has a bunch and their 18x18x36 should be fine. plus they usually have good deals on those cages.

*this screen cage is a 16x16x30, a little more money but alot better quality. But if you are going to have 2 you will need a bigger cage.
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...een/-/16-x-16-x-30-inch-aluminum-screen-cage/

Last edited:
Rudis chameleons are great little chams! Their care requirements are different from veileds, and they ARE much smaller but that seems to be what you are looking for. Rudis seem to respond best to a cooler temerature gradient and high humidity.

For enclosure temperature, they need a gradient of 65-70 in the cooler spots to 80 (NO HIGHER) in the basking spot. Humidity wise, they enjoy higher humidity than some chameleons, around 80% to 90%. You'll probably want to go with a reptisun 2.0 rather than the standard 5.0 if you use an LLL screen enclosure, but if you go with the reptarium, go with the reptisun 5.0 because the reptarium mesh absorbs some of the beneficial UV light.

As for the Reptarium, I have them and have used both kinds of screen enclosure. I don't mind the Reptariums at all, but it is true that they are a little tougher to see through, but not tough enough to make them un-usable. I like mine! My feeders haven't ever eaten through the mesh either. Something to think about! Ask any questions you might have!

Last edited:
Kat - Do you have any experience with Ch. rudis to justify your recommendation of a 2.0 over a 5.0? Would you care to explain why you are recommending this? Have you ever used a 2.0 or have any knowledge of what Ch. rudis/any other species of chameleon requires as far as UV radiation goes? At the risk of coming across as rude, you should probably stick to giving recommendations and advice about things you have experience with.

Ultrakd - Reptariums are fine enclosures but they are more difficult to see into, are somewhat flimsy and the zippers can be problematic over time. The benefit is that if you have a shy species/individual, it not only is difficult to see into but more difficult for them to see out of as well. Also, you should be a reptisun 5.0, not a 2.0. The 2.0 does not give off sufficient UVB for most chameleon species, including Ch. rudis. You should also keep in mind that Ch. rudis is a more challenging species and are usually WC. This can be quite a bit of extra work between acclimation and treatment of any parasite and health issues. If you can find a CB specimen, that would be much better.

Chris

Kat - Do you have any experience with Ch. rudis to justify your recommendation of a 2.0 over a 5.0? Would you care to explain why you are recommending this? Have you ever used a 2.0 or have any knowledge of what Ch. rudis/any other species of chameleon requires as far as UV radiation goes? At the risk of coming across as rude, you should probably stick to giving recommendations and advice about things you have experience with.

Ultrakd - Reptariums are fine enclosures but they are more difficult to see into, are somewhat flimsy and the zippers can be problematic over time. The benefit is that if you have a shy species/individual, it not only is difficult to see into but more difficult for them to see out of as well. Also, you should be a reptisun 5.0, not a 2.0. The 2.0 does not give off sufficient UVB for most chameleon species, including Ch. rudis. You should also keep in mind that Ch. rudis is a more challenging species and are usually WC. This can be quite a bit of extra work between acclimation and treatment of any parasite and health issues. If you can find a CB specimen, that would be much better.

Chris

I was given the 2.0 advice by a friend of mine who has kept and bred Rudis. If I was wrong, I apologize. I noticed that you didn't happen to find fault with anything else that I said. A gentler criticism would have been appreciated.

Ultrakd- Listen to Chris on this one, I'm sure that he is correct about the 5.0 :)

Hi, I have 1 male and 3 female rudis chams in a 30 x 30 x18 zilla cage. Rudis don't seem to be that concerned with height - but If you are going to have more that 1 in a cage together - width would be the way to go - although mine still seem to huddle together most of the time - especially at night. I use a reptiglo 5.0 flourescent light with no basking light - temps stay at about 74 -75 degrees inside my house. The main thing is to keep the humidity higher than most chams - around 80%, frequent misting helps and I have a humidifier also (cool air mist). Mine enjoy crickets, small mealworms and flies. They are live bearers and gestation is about 4 months. Hope this helps!

MY house stays around 75-77 all the time. How hard are they to breed? I would like to get a cage that holds 2. Maby could yuou guys make up a Check List?
Thanks

i think that i would start with general care for now if i were you, then later on after you get a hang of things then you can get into breeding.

Maby could yuou guys make up a Check List?
Thanks

Maybe you could do some research?
There's plenty of info on this species out there ... If you need all the husbandry information spoon fed to you, I doubt you are ready to care for a chameleon.
I know you're only thirteen years old and I am sorry to be so blunt, but I have been watching your posts and (again ... I said this to you before) I care more about the animals than I do the feelings of people who want to keep them as pets.
Why don't you make your next post about all the information you have learned about Rudis and see if anyone can help you fill in the blanks.

-Brad

Maybe you could do some research?
There's plenty of info on this species out there ... If you need all the husbandry information spoon fed to you, I doubt you are ready to care for a chameleon.
I know you're only thirteen years old and I am sorry to be so blunt, but I have been watching your posts and (again ... I said this to you before) I care more about the animals than I do the feelings of people who want to keep them as pets.
Why don't you make your next post about all the information you have learned about Rudis and see if anyone can help you fill in the blanks.

-Brad

I agree with Brad...do a lot more research. I do see that you cant make your mind between a few species....then why not buy the items that are necessary for all chams (vitamins, UVB bulb etc). No cham big or small will live without the a proper setup :eek:

ya listen to brad.

get your setup ready then come back and we can help you fine tune it, and then when you are ready you can get a cham.

Ok Brad Ill do that. :D

Good for you Ultrakd! Brad is definitely right, PLUS learning about your new pet and doing research is half the fun! That is, if you do your learning before you buy your pet, which you are! Just be sure that you feel comfortable in your knowledge of Rudis before you get one. And DO let us know what you've learned!

Ok guys I will. Dont ever worry about me not researching before I buy an animal. I have to show knoledge of the animal before my parents let me buy one.

Not really a care sheet but........

Housing
Not really sure how big but I know this will work for one :D. I figured I would get a 18 x 18 x 36 inch Aluminum Screen Cage, this way I can also get a female too. Plants I haven’t really decided yet, (this is one of those blank spots you guys are supposed to help with :p).

Lighting
I will use a Repti 5.0 for the UVB, and lighting..
Temperature
They do not like hot. The temps should be between 75-77, which are the temps in my house.

Humidity
They like the humidity high, like around 80%.

Feeding
They will be feed Silk Worms, Dubia Roaches and Crickets.

Supplementation
Im not exactly sure about supplementation. The one place I read said the really don’t dust there food at all. (Another blank spot :D)

Back
Top Bottom