Red eyed tree frogs

Depends on what your plans are-- Super tropical set-up and some beautiful frogs. I have chosen Whites and working (just started) Amazon Milks. Check it out.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/did-it-again-treefrogs-ugggggg.184572/

The Whites can become more daytime acclimated but not sure about the Red Eyes-
If you choose this mission, please keep us updated. I almost purchased some breeders last year but wanted something a little bigger and more approachable. CB only though. :) (y)
Most of the time I have only see RE's sleeping and the White's seem to rarely sleep. Weird

Here is Mama Jaba---

Attachments

• PXL_20220126_012749342.jpg
    PXL_20220126_012749342.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 195
Depends on what your plans are-- Super tropical set-up and some beautiful frogs. I have chosen Whites and working (just started) Amazon Milks. Check it out.

The Whites can become more daytime acclimated but not sure about the Red Eyes-
If you choose this mission, please keep us updated. I almost purchased some breeders last year but wanted something a little bigger and more approachable. CB only though. :) (y)
Most of the time I have only see RE's sleeping and the White's seem to rarely sleep. Weird

Here is Mama Jaba---
Thank you. I will check it up! My problem is that white tree frogs are too big for me I think. I mean enclosure for them is going to be bigger and I gave my veiled to my friend just because of space. Red eye frogs are smaller and prettier to me but my breeder does not have them and he is not sure that they will be CB if he finds the seller.. He guarantees white tree frogs and milk frogs to be CB though..

What size habitat are you working with?

Something to think about, which I had no clue about years ago. Frogs can be very messy and poop a lot (. Also, the male frogs will make lots of noise when they are calling out. If I needed quiet in the house, it would not be the right pet. Things to think about.
I enjoy all the barking, croaking and other noises they make (I have toads too) and don't mind them waking me up. Maybe that is a me thing but for years I worried my neighbors would hear them which made me stress a little (condo life). Not sure if Red Eyes are that noisy but as far as odor goes, worse than chameleon poop.

Sorry if I am sounding negative but want you to have the best experience. In my opinion making a vivarium with running water and lots of plants seem to have cured the odor thing and maintenance is minimal. JMHO
This is 18X18X24 exoterra. seems to work well and everything currently is thriving.

Attachments

• PXL_20211204_180424053.jpg
    PXL_20211204_180424053.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 85
What size habitat are you working with?

Something to think about, which I had no clue about years ago. Frogs can be very messy and poop a lot (. Also, the male frogs will make lots of noise when they are calling out. If I needed quiet in the house, it would not be the right pet. Things to think about.
I enjoy all the barking, croaking and other noises they make (I have toads too) and don't mind them waking me up. Maybe that is a me thing but for years I worried my neighbors would hear them which made me stress a little (condo life). Not sure if Red Eyes are that noisy but as far as odor goes, worse than chameleon poop.

Sorry if I am sounding negative but want you to have the best experience. In my opinion making a vivarium with running water and lots of plants seem to have cured the odor thing and maintenance is minimal. JMHO
This is 18X18X24 exoterra. seems to work well and everything currently is thriving.
Im thinking about that size and bioactive enlosure with isopods to clean the vivarium. I dont mind the noise and nobody could hear it. I just dont think I could do running water. I thought glass enclosure for humidity. Is the lamp or pad heater better?

With the bioactive you are shooting for, I would use lamps unless you set-up where the substrate doesn't get to hot (many put heat pad on the back of tank but frogs are dumb and will sleep near one and dry out.
As with my stuff, it is always trial and error with tweaking every few weeks. (y)

Just my experience with the Whites-- They need lots of water as they are constantly absorbing and shooting it out (they shoot pretty far too so glass has to be cleaned a lot too. Most set-ups will have a water bowl but when I tried that, it was way too dirty. This is why I went with running water and filter system.
When they poop, it either falls in the water where the fish and snails break it down along with the live plants and the filter does the rest. Then 2 or 3 times during the week while I am sitting and enjoying their movement, I syphon out a few gallons. When they poop on land, I tweezer it out.

Your needs will probably be different, but this was best for me, and everything is thriving. There are gold mystery snails, fish that are reproducing, plants that will soon need to be trimmed and no odor.

Sorry, I just can't get enough of these silly frogs. I guess, my likes is multiple things going on all the time.

It will be nice to see what works for you. (y) Thanks for letting me share.

Attachments

• PXL_20220201_161728064.jpg
    PXL_20220201_161728064.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 129
  • PXL_20220201_161739992.jpg
    PXL_20220201_161739992.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
With the bioactive you are shooting for, I would use lamps unless you set-up where the substrate doesn't get to hot (many put heat pad on the back of tank but frogs are dumb and will sleep near one and dry out.
As with my stuff, it is always trial and error with tweaking every few weeks. (y)

Just my experience with the Whites-- They need lots of water as they are constantly absorbing and shooting it out (they shoot pretty far too so glass has to be cleaned a lot too. Most set-ups will have a water bowl but when I tried that, it was way too dirty. This is why I went with running water and filter system.
When they poop, it either falls in the water where the fish and snails break it down along with the live plants and the filter does the rest. Then 2 or 3 times during the week while I am sitting and enjoying their movement, I syphon out a few gallons. When they poop on land, I tweezer it out.

Your needs will probably be different, but this was best for me, and everything is thriving. There are gold mystery snails, fish that are reproducing, plants that will soon need to be trimmed and no odor.

Sorry, I just can't get enough of these silly frogs. I guess, my likes is multiple things going on all the time.

It will be nice to see what works for you. (y) Thanks for letting me share.
Thank you so much on the info! I will probably get them. I just adore your frog on the bottom on the pic just peeking out. I want those blue colors.. I dont like brown ones.. What is their price in US if you dont mind me asking?

If you have time check this out.

Since covid happened, we don't do much so decided to share some of my projects.

So, with price.
Note: All of mine I purchased as tadpoles (10 for 60 bucks) I gave some away and kept the rest.

White's tree frogs have become pretty popular with the different morphs.
Common Green no spots run about 40 to 60 bucks.
Blue morph no spots run about 50 to 70 bucks.
Snowflake green and blue usually 60 to 150.
High Snowflake 200 plus
Honey Blue Eye 50 plus
Honey Blue Eye Snowflake 100 plus
Wild Caught Adults from Indonisia also called White's tree frogs will run about 50 for adults.
There are a few other morps, but I don't know the names and they run 250 to 500. If they can be found.
Decided to take a few pics for ya. I do have toads too and they are in a different type of set-up.
I am also sharing a picture of a failed project and it now.

Note: The picture that is of a tank being dismantled is because what I was taught was not reality. Trial and Error. Foam lesson learned and reason I don't use it anymore.
1-3 are many hours of thinking how I wanted it (actually took a few months) It worked for almost 1 and 1/2 years but the cleaning was too much and beetles, crickets and other bugs burrowed into the foam (had no idea that would happen).
Pic 4 was just taken and eventually will be totally cleaned out for a new set-up.

I share for others to get ideas how they can improve.
The frogs were taken this morning too--- see they are still awake- crazy! One is looking at the water falling and thinks it is a bug and tries to eat it. Funny little things they do makes them # 1 for me. But I do love the Red Eye Colors and sacrifice actions over looks. JMHO

Attachments

• PXL_20220218_150829982.jpg
    PXL_20220218_150829982.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 105
  • PXL_20220218_150815018.jpg
    PXL_20220218_150815018.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20220218_150810465.jpg
    PXL_20220218_150810465.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 89
  • PXL_20220218_043649267.jpg
    PXL_20220218_043649267.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220218_150708774.jpg
    PXL_20220218_150708774.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200121_070558.jpg
    IMG_20200121_070558.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20191106_102346.jpg
    IMG_20191106_102346.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20191011_094955.jpg
    IMG_20191011_094955.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20191106_102346.jpg
    IMG_20191106_102346.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20191011_113558.jpg
    IMG_20191011_113558.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 90
Never.They just seem awesome. My breeder is offering me white tree frogs but they are much bigger and nit as pretty as red eyes
I was considering red-eyed tree frogs at one point until I observed them up close. While they do look gorgeous when they're out and about crawling around their enclosure, they are nocturnal. So, they usually find a spot in the enclosure where they can blend in and rest for most of the day. They're eyes are closed during this time. I just wanted to make sure you knew that. Go for it if it's something you really want. I'm currently considering setting up an enclosure for a few dart frogs.

Great points! I was going to mention the nocturnal thing but never had them so, didn't want to. Maybe someone will chime it that had them and know what ways they can adapt. I have read just feed them during the day and it will help change their normal behavior.

I am excited for people trying new things since reading, is not always the best experience.

NOTE! Sorry for all the pictures above and the order. I did not put them in that order and left the page while downloading only to come back with no pictures. So, I re-attached not knowing it saved the first group. :oops::oops::oops:

Peace out! The End (y)

Opps! Forgot the Yellow spotted climbing toad tank-- Yep- Love my amphibians too
Females are much bigger and have a blue when receptive.
Male is shedding and only brown. No eggs were produced when they were in amplexus. :(

Attachments

• PXL_20220111_151420173.jpg
    PXL_20220111_151420173.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20210714_025011921.jpg
    PXL_20210714_025011921.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20220218_150628418.jpg
    PXL_20220218_150628418.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 83
  • PXL_20220218_150613247.jpg
    PXL_20220218_150613247.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 73
I am only sharing my experience over the years to current. There are so many different species and each one has pros and cons.
I remember reading "Anyone wanna talk me out of it? Thinking about buying 3 or 4 of them at the same time." lol
Not my intent just to share and let you decide.

What kind of frogs and toads are available in your market?

Thanks!

I am looking for the Japanese Giant Toad-- :) Not really ---just a toad that if became available, would have to make another setup. (y)

I have had the Giant Cane Toads and Rococo's, and the Giant Asian River Toad but they were a bit too big and ate so much. Now fine tuning for easy maintenance, more display type and a little hands-on work (makes life easier).

Keep us updated and can't wait to see some pics..

Happy Frog Hunting. :p (y)

So cute!

1645214628715.png
Google Image

Great choice! Just a little more about me- I waited 2 years for my Yellow Spotted Climbing Toads and
almost 5 years before people would sell me White's tree frog tadpoles.
So, sometimes getting exactly what you want is worth the wait or you might need to have 2 frog thanks.. haahaahaa

2 turns into 3 and they you are hooked.. Lol

don't forget to share some pics

Great choice! Just a little more about me- I waited 2 years for my Yellow Spotted Climbing Toads and
almost 5 years before people would sell me White's tree frog tadpoles.
So, sometimes getting exactly what you want is worth the wait or you might need to have 2 frog thanks.. haahaahaa

2 turns into 3 and they you are hooked.. Lol

don't forget to share some pics
I’m the kind of person that goes all in or not at all.. So I ordered 5 of them 😂😂😂. Anyways if I realize thats too many or that I dont like them my breeder will take them or I will give them to some of my friends. But I think I’ll do fine. I will keep you posted 💗

I got them today. One quick question. They are really small so I poured a lot of lateralis bugs in their box until my vivarium comes(tommorow) But I see that they are not eating. Am I supposed to place them each in a box woth bugs for them to eat or will they hunt eventually?

Back
Top Bottom