Red eyed tree frogs

You can put a separate bug container in and the frogs will learn to go into it and eat. (y) It's all about the training.
Remember, I put a few months into thinking about how I wanted my set-up along with filtration, odor, and even extra food. Plus, the many years of dealing without all that.

These are the little tweaks to fix your habitat. Good work!

The other day my Mystery snail laid eggs.. Yippee
Awesome! I will post a pic tommorow of the enclosure. There is a small container that is grayish/transparent and I noticed one frog bumping its head on it trying to eat the bug through it. None of them ate since then… I just cant put the roaches running all around because I know they will escape and I hate bugs…

Don't worry, you will figure things out. It has been a short time, and everything will come together.

Just like a chameleon and the different feeding stations.

The container should be placed under the substrate with the opening on the top (level to surface or close to).
Like this. It is just another idea for ya.
The picture with the water: I place a thin strip of mesh at the top of the water line so the crickets can climb out. I don't put roaches, superworms or other insects that can't swim in the water containers tank.

So, after feeding is over, I will replace the square container with the water one. If you have room, put both in habitat in different areas.
I monitor my stuff more than most, so we have to find out works best for your situations.
Hope this helps a little. :) (y)

Attachments

• PXL_20220228_231615735.jpg
    PXL_20220228_231615735.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220228_231707442.jpg
    PXL_20220228_231707442.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 76
Don't worry, you will figure things out. It has been a short time, and everything will come together.

Just like a chameleon and the different feeding stations.

The container should be placed under the substrate with the opening on the top (level to surface or close to).
Like this. It is just another idea for ya.
The picture with the water: I place a thin strip of mesh at the top of the water line so the crickets can climb out. I don't put roaches, superworms or other insects that can't swim in the water containers tank.

So, after feeding is over, I will replace the square container with the water one. If you have room, put both in habitat in different areas.
I monitor my stuff more than most, so we have to find out works best for your situations.
Hope this helps a little. :) (y)
I cant thank you enough! I’m just new to this and I’m so scared of them dying of not eating or something like that.

No problem! My hobby extends to so many different topics, and I actually enjoy sharing ideas. FYI- Most of what I share is from experience (years and years of trial and error) and a few new things) (y) If you have more concerns, just ask away. (y)
Milk's are new but similar to White's and the snail eggs are new, so I am in heaven with new stuff. Love it! There is a tadpole morphing so will have 3 in a few days and a few more tadpoles to go.

Worry if they don't eat for about a week or if you see wounds, body shakes, and discoloration of leg area. **All can be fixed in different ways. **

Look up red-leg disease, so your aware what to look for. Don't worry, just be aware and attack issues before they get out of hand. (y)

Enjoy those froggies. (y)

Great question- I use coconut fiber and grow small plants on top. Kind of like or similar to a moss. When I hear bioactive- I am thinking dirt, leaves, isopods, roaches, worms (many different kinds) etc..... Like a tiny eco system with bugs/fungus/bacteria working to create a balance to keep things clean. That is just my interpretation. I would keep it simple, so you can do quick clean-ups. Not sure of your set-up but can share some ideas once I see that.
I don't put frogs in anything big until they are at least 1.5" to 2" in size. This is so I can maintain and know everything they are eating and pooping. Then they are on their own in the bigger habitats.
I am not ever sure how big your frogs are, they look a lot bigger than what I have, and they grow so fast.

This is just a raw pic of the enclosure. There is one more fake plant in there now. I will put a real tree once they get a bit bigger. Plants on walls are real. Dont mind the humidity measurer too that is just for now..
81B19F50-96D2-4F78-BB99-5FAF91FBF336.jpeg

WOW! that is one fancy set-up. (y)

1 question: Is your habitat bottom wood, plastic, glass and can it hold water? Thanks
I can imagine some Pothos and vines plants creeping along the bottom and have your water and feeder containers.

Decided to go outside and make what can be possible to show ya. The flat (plants) were purchased at our Lowe's hardware store. I have also taken some pictures of the plants I use along with the seed packet purchased e-bay (I think they are baby tear seeds but not sure).
I sprinkle the seeds on the surface, and they start to grow in about 5 days.

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_174949514.jpg
    PXL_20220301_174949514.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220301_174928373.jpg
    PXL_20220301_174928373.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20220301_174859376.jpg
    PXL_20220301_174859376.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220301_174844889.jpg
    PXL_20220301_174844889.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220301_174836504.jpg
    PXL_20220301_174836504.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20220301_174739496.jpg
    PXL_20220301_174739496.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
WOW! that is one fancy set-up. (y)

1 question: Is your habitat bottom wood, plastic, glass and can it hold water? Thanks
I can imagine some Pothos and vines plants creeping along the bottom and have your water and feeder containers.

Decided to go outside and make what can be possible to show ya. The flat (plants) were purchased at our Lowe's hardware store. I have also taken some pictures of the plants I use along with the seed packet purchased e-bay (I think they are baby tear seeds but not sure).
I sprinkle the seeds on the surface, and they start to grow in about 5 days.
Thank you. Its all glass.

So I just came home and one of my frogs is not moving at all at has totally closed eyes. I took her in my hand and she looks dead.. Is there a chance that she is not? I placed her back on the heat pad part maybe she was too cold?

Heat is not good for them. It will dry up.
Can you share a picture what your frogs are in?

Last edited:
What I would do is-
Place in small container of water (conditioned with no chlorine). I use Tetra water conditioner for all my aquatic stuff not sure what is available out that way.

1/4 cup conditioned water
3 drops of liquid calcium
3 grams of sugar (just a tiny pinch)
Mix and place frog in it. Frogs head should not go under the water (this is for absorption only if still alive)
If it is already gone there is no harm but if in some kind of shock, it will help. Remove from container immediately though so there is not cross contamination with what is wrong.

What I would do is-
Place in small container of water (conditioned with no chlorine). I use Tetra water conditioner for all my aquatic stuff not sure what is available out that way.

1/4 cup conditioned water
3 drops of liquid calcium
3 grams of sugar (just a tiny pinch)
Mix and place frog in it. Frogs head should not go under the water (this is for absorption only if still alive)
If it is already gone there is no harm but if in some kind of shock, it will help. Remove from container immediately though so there is not cross contamination with what is wrong.
Well she is not moving for around 2 hours so I dont know if that is going to help… but thank you. I cant get the liquid calcium because it’s night and I cant buy it…

I wanted to separate information-
Your habitat--
Check for:
anything that can have a chemical preservative on it. Plastic, fresh plants (might have pesticides), wood can be treated or a branch from a tree with natural toxins. So many factors can be dangerous for frogs and other amphibians that use their skin for absorption.

Some (not all) silicone, foam, glue and other things we use can have chemicals that leach out.

I actually make everything in my habitat except for the large root like structure (plastic for aquariums) which is actually upside-down and have grown live plants on it. Everything else is aquarium black silicone, aquarium tube (1/4 to 1") with silicone over them and coco fiber/plants attached. I don't use foam because it can leach out chemicals if not protected properly.

Sorry, I go overboard with explaining things.

Back
Top Bottom