Prices

I would like to have actually gone somewhere with this thread. Seriously Quadzilla is all we've got left?

Unfortunately the only sense I can make of things is that despite the abundance of information available...people will continue to buy veileds and panthers and still manage to kill those too.

Feed that poor guy Harry he's withering away before our eyes. lol Oh and for the record Quadzilla is the best name for a cham hands down on the forum. All hail Quadzilla he's the king! lol

he ate a huge hornworm today that lit up his eyes...and almost didn't make it down. :eek:

but really Texas and Chad, when buying a WC, it really isn't cheaper as Quadzilla said.
sure, it may hurt a breeder. sure, the stock for strong breeders will be low. but it can and normally is far more expencive in the end as Chad said.

Quadzilla not only had to goto the vet for a check-up, but also a fecal. then there were all the meds. if I didn't do what I did, he would be dead instead.

HOW CHEAP IS THAT?

let's also face it folks. why pay about $100.00 for a veiled in a pet store, when you can buy one from a great breeder here on the forum for half the price? it will be 10 times stronger, have no parasites, and be ready to breed if that's your desire in about a year.

NOT BUYING FROM A BREEDER DOESN'T MAKE SENCE.

Harry

I would like to have actually gone somewhere with this thread. Seriously Quadzilla is all we've got left?

Unfortunately the only sense I can make of things is that despite the abundance of information available...people will continue to buy veileds and panthers and still manage to kill those too.

The sad part is that as many people that really dont care about anything besides veileds and panthers probably couldnt care less what happens to these other species or breeding efforts. After all, the panther chameleon is the end all be all of the chameleon world:rolleyes:

Personally, I am just going to start exploiting this aspect of the hobby and start using it to my advantage. I have some things in the works for importing CB panthers from Germany and also WCs from Madagascar if all goes as planned. Thats a big if, of course;) Im not talking about regularly imported locales either. Something I can put a high price tag on. People will eat them up just like the Nosy Falys. Of course my boys, and girls:p, would get good deals. In the end if all works out then the panther lovers will be indirectly funding my other MUCH COOLER projects and I can continue to work with the species I like while still offering CB and CH specimen at low prices to friends and other experienced, enthusiastic keepers;)

I jst a ready a thing on all of this.....There are no established prices for chameleons....they completely fluctuate and a rare panther could be a $60.00 pet in a matter of weeks....so for those of you breeding.....u might want to watch the market and be patient

I jst a ready a thing on all of this.....There are no established prices for chameleons....they completely fluctuate and a rare panther could be a $60.00 pet in a matter of weeks....so for those of you breeding.....u might want to watch the market and be patient

Have to disagree with that statement. If you wait yrs, yes your right. But look at faly and mitsio prices. They havent come down very much. And they both have been avail for a few yrs.

I have never seen a panther for sale under $100 unless the seller is in an absolute panic/desperate sitaution.

Too bad you couldn't have gotten the "dionysus" sn. But adding a 19 after if makes it almost as sweet.;) ahem... you smell.

Yeah go ahead and buy from them and tell me how that works out for you. I ordered from them at one point and expected adult females... I received what were probably 4 month olds.

The panthers in this link are undersized and there are no pics of Dam or Sire. Why would you buy a panther cham unless you know its color potential?

Well done though...you did show me some cheap panthers. I wasn't aware anyone would sell for that cheap.

Yeah go ahead and buy from them and tell me how that works out for you. I ordered from them at one point and expected adult females... I received what were probably 4 month olds.

The panthers in this link are undersized and there are no pics of Dam or Sire. Why would you buy a panther cham unless you know its color potential?

Well done though...you did show me some cheap panthers. I wasn't aware anyone would sell for that cheap.

Actually I did buy a panther not knowing sire or sex call me stupid I dont care. Its a learning experience and I enjoy it.Im happy with my baby that I have no ideal of that parents where it came from at all. I take care of my chameleon like any other, I dont care what it looks at baby size nor do I have choice in adult. It was $100 and my first panther . TBH I was just hoping for a male. I never planned to breed I just wanted a chameleon to add some color to the room. So go ahead and assume everyone makes sure their is from top notch sires and well respected members. Apparently you ordered from them. I never have but to say you dont see something then you do just to start making more excuses.

Yea ok... Someone said they never seen them sell for that price so there you go. Say they are junk who cares its a baby panther. LLL reptile sells junk to, I can vouch for that and they are a site sponsor;) O well. No point to argue with the regulars since they have everything down and know it all Already. Have fun trying to make ends meet on a hobby cause that all chameleon keeping is for most.
Im about to buy 2 WC quads from first choice. I bet they are junk to right? A healthy chameleon is a healthy chameleon regardless where you get it and for what price.

Who cares:confused: Well, most people care if what they buy turns out to be junk. I dont think anyone in this thread said they know it all or have everything down already. How do you know they arent desperate to sell them? At this cheap I think they would be desperate to off them to anyone as quick as possible so they dont loose money on having to feed them. There is a reason they dont have pics of bloodlines. Because they didnt breed them themselves. They buy wholesale from people for cheap to hurry up and flip for profits.

No one is talking about breeding chameleons to make ends meet. The thread is about the price of WCs and the people who buy them before CBs because they are cheaper. In turn this discourages those who do spend lots of time and hard work in breeding and rearing these animals. This is the point of the thread.

You never know, the quads could show up to you and be junk. However, Nick from first choice has been good to me by sending new animals or giving credit when he does send me junk. Even a lot of animals that do not come as junk do not acclimate well when WC from any source. Its just part of the game, as sad as it may be.

Hopefully you still dont plan to breed your unknown locale panther chameleon. There is enough mutts on the market as is.

Who cares:confused: Well, most people care if what they buy turns out to be junk. I dont think anyone in this thread said they know it all or have everything down already. How do you know they arent desperate to sell them? At this cheap I think they would be desperate to off them to anyone as quick as possible so they dont loose money on having to feed them. There is a reason they dont have pics of bloodlines. Because they didnt breed them themselves. They buy wholesale from people for cheap to hurry up and flip for profits.

No one is talking about breeding chameleons to make ends meet. The thread is about the price of WCs and the people who buy them before CBs because they are cheaper. In turn this discourages those who do spend lots of time and hard work in breeding and rearing these animals. This is the point of the thread.

You never know, the quads could show up to you and be junk. However, Nick from first choice has been good to me by sending new animals or giving credit when he does send me junk. Even a lot of animals that do not come as junk do not acclimate well when WC from any source. Its just part of the game, as sad as it may be.

Hopefully you still dont plan to breed your unknown locale panther chameleon. There is enough mutts on the market as is.

Yea Ok. I dont plan on breeding anything, never did. Just wanted a colorful lizard in my room. So go ahead call my so called blue bar ambliobe a mutt, since you know better than me. Npbody said it that just act like it.

Im about to buy 2 WC quads from first choice. I bet they are junk to right? A healthy chameleon is a healthy chameleon regardless where you get it and for what price.

This part of the post was interesting... I purchased a pair from Nick, and they are awesome. He brought in great animals, and my pair is acclimating very good if I do say so myself.

Jared made good points about panthers, and everything in that last post.

Regarding the panther price comments, I would never pay under $100 for a panther that didn't have pics of sires/dams. I would rather spend extra money to know the animal wasn't bad, and end up being a waste of money.

@OP's original statement; For me, depending on the species, I would buy CB over WC. If I already had CB, and some WC came in, I'd buy them, just to introduce new blood. Now I do have two pairs of WC animals, but I don't consider my Verrucosus to be WC, because they came in young, and pretty much have been in captive care for a good portion of their life.

ok, so you are going to spend $180 or $190 for a pair. (there is also shipping) great price right?
so once you get them, are you going to take them into a vet? what about fecals? both cost money and are well worth the price if you plan on keeping them alive and not infecting your other pets.

what happens if you have to buy meds and administer them? what if they are cut up and bruised? got some neosporin? what about terramycin? panicure?
do you even have time to deal with issues if they crop up?

are you ready for this? because a sick chameleon is a sick chameleon regardless of where you get them from. ;)

wow, it's like you just wont listen to the great Quadzilla...he gives great advice and you are just tossing it away.

Harry

are you ready for this? because a sick chameleon is a sick chameleon regardless of where you get them from. ;)

Harry

This might be worth its own thread, but do most of you believe that WCs are inherently less healthy, or that imports are less healthy due to stress of importing and wholesaling?

Because I've kept self collected Florida WCs and they seem very hardy...

This might be worth its own thread, but do most of you believe that WCs are inherently less healthy, or that imports are less healthy due to stress of importing and wholesaling?

Because I've kept self collected Florida WCs and they seem very hardy...

there is a huge differance between you collecting some wild caughts in your back yard and what goes on when a WC gets traficed across the world.
they are brused up, cut up, infections and parasite overloaded due to the handeling they go through. it's not the same. it's not even close. that doesn't mean you can't get lucky. but to say you don't need to take the animals to the vet after all they went through and can have hidden sickness is just asking to fail with the animal.

Harry

This is a fantastic thread Scott, I know I'm way behind but I think it could use a bump. Lots of great info and opinions. Let's see if any opinions have changed/updated and keep it going.:D

I do feel sorry that rarer species aren't getting what they deserve as far as cost. It is a shame. But you can't help what is in demand, or popular. I've seen lots of great species that I think, wow, those are neat and/or beautiful, but I don't go out and get one. I can't help it that I'm happy with panthers and don't want to dip my feet in any other species. At least right now. Well, that's not necessarily true, if I hadn't decided that I need to thin down my herd for a year or two I would have gotten a couple carpets by now. I can't help that I like the colors on my panthers, and I like their faces, and their size. If I found another species (like Mellers and Carpets) that I liked the same way I would have them too. I would have Mellers and Carpets right now if I felt it was the right time. And who knows, maybe other species too. But I don't have the stability or financial means to take on a room of chameleons again, so that's my excuse. For a couple years I'll stick to my pair of panthers.

But the market is what it is. I totally agree that rarer species should be getting better prices, especially for CB, but you have to be able to sell them. If no one wants to pay $300 for something, no one will ever buy it.

My update,

Well, I've had nothing but bad luck with my quads.

After two years, Quadzillia passed away. He never did it with Garadean and i tried 20 times. He was gay or is because Garadean has never laid eggs and she is 3 yards old now (I got her at 1yo). She It's doing great otherwise.

Rosie laid 1 set of eggs but they were infantile. Shure was then mated to The Beast but sadly died before the eggs were fully developed, It's I would have removed them and prayed.
As old as the Beast is, the is going strong.

I also got a cristatus as a baby WC....he is still small but growing.

As much as i love quads I'm giving up on them. I may go back to partners soon. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom