Plant care

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all. As I see so much live plants being the pretty much only way to go with chams and some keepers getting weighted down with general husbandry let alone trying to become green thumbed as well is there anywhere on here that has a plant care profile (if not might be something to think about).

Not too bad of an idea. I spent probably a grand on plants before I figured out how not to kill them. One of my dumbest moments... I had a bunch of tropical plants, large ficus alii trees, etc. I thought over winter they would survive in the garage as long as they didn't freeze..... several hundred dollars dead pretty much over night. Many plants die under 50 degrees.

My plants have been doing pretty well apart from a Boston fern ( i have 15 not 15 types ) but as you mentioned James they can be an expensive commodity at least when we buy a mistking or a solarmeter that's it. I bought some arcadia bio revitaliser thankfully I only put it in it 1 plant (which it fried lol ) and I actually have quite a lot of plants . I just thought this would be a nice add on to this forum to help members make a good plant selection without having to goggle and search lots of other different places

It’s easy to kill plant. They are like the chameleons they live with you need to know what they need before dividing in. Or you end up doing a lot of trial and air. Plants like different soil types, different amounts of water depending on the type of plant (tropical, subtropical and so on) A plant care sheet and plant groupings would be a helpful tool.

Hi all. As I see so much live plants being the pretty much only way to go with chams and some keepers getting weighted down with general husbandry let alone trying to become green thumbed as well is there anywhere on here that has a plant care profile (if not might be something to think about).
If I'm reading you correctly, that would require all plants requiring pretty much the exact same care, and that rarely happens unless one spends the time to research their plant choices carefully (or limits themselves to multiples of the same plant).

That said, yes, caring for plants is part of the necessary knowledge base as much as every other aspect of husbandry.

In practice (unless one happens to have that green thumb & extensive botanical knowledge) I think the best method is researching each plant's care as part of the selection process. E.g. when selecting a centerpiece, research the care & feeding of each prospective candidate before making a final selection. Then move on to trailing, wall cover, and accents in the same way.
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/

@Klyde O'Scope your plant don’t have to require the exact same care if you are not planning them in the same pot or in bio active set. If growing in pot in you enclosure you can plant them in the right soil( holds water, drains well, drains quickly but retains water and so on). You can also place plant the need /like more sun were they get more light from a window or from your grow light.

Yes overall you need to do some research. To have the best results😉

@Klyde O'Scope your plant don’t have to require the exact same care if you are not planning them in the same pot or in bio active set. If growing in pot in you enclosure you can plant them in the right soil( holds water, drains well, drains quickly but retains water and so on). You can also place plant the need /like more sun were they get more light from a window or from your grow light.

Yes overall you need to do some research. To have the best results😉
I think there's a misunderstanding. I was saying all plants of different species have different requirements. IDT there's any kind of plug & play care profile.

I'm not quite sure what you are reading into I'm just talking in general terms as madmango said not all the plants need to have the exact requirements. All I was suggesting was possible info on different plants soil type ,water requirements, light , feeding ,propagation tips and so on rather than links so no-one ever leaves this forum ever ,ever 😈 haaaa lol

I'm not quite sure what you are reading into I'm just talking in general terms as madmango said not all the plants need to have the exact requirements. All I was suggesting was possible info on different plants soil type ,water requirements, light , feeding ,propagation tips and so on rather than links so no-one ever leaves this forum ever ,ever 😈 haaaa lol

That's what I was assuming you meant.

Are you volunteering?

Well now I'm sure i could add my 50 pence / cent whatever but the forum does not revolve around any one body.

Works for me, as do countless other plant sites as well as Cooperative Extension with its Master Gardeners, but Flick boy doesn't want links...

🤷‍♂️

You could literally find all of the info from chameleon academy somewhere else if you really dug. Chameleon academy makes it more convenient though and helps many people here. With plants, the way you care for them might be much different in a chameleon enclosure than it would be as a houseplant or yard plant(which most sites refer to). For example, the misting may deplete the soil sooner, maybe more frequent fertilization would be necessary, maybe types of lighting, etc. So it's not a bad idea, but would definitely take some work, that which I don't have much time for, but if someone did, I'd for sure welcome it.

I agree, keeping plants in chameleon habitat is definitely a different set of care rules. The amount of water put in the a cage one a daily basis can easily be too much for many species of plants if the soil doesn’t drain well.

I think @Flick boy was just bringing this idea of a care sheet up because it would be very useful for new keepers that are told time and time again that they need to get live plants. A simple list with a few time tested plant with easy care may be very helpful. I know that there is a list of plants that are safe for chameleons but it’s an extensive list and many of the plants require different needs to successfully grow.

I would be happy to help with a list but don’t have to time to do it all on my own.

I think @Flick boy was just bringing this idea of a care sheet up because it would be very useful for new keepers that are told time and time again that they need to get live plants.
This site used to have a list, but it was deleted, and its replacement is still under construction.

I would be happy to help with a list but don’t have to time to do it all on my own.
Likewise. Few of us do, which is why I was asking @Flick boy if he was volunteering.

I imagine there of a lot of, "Wouldn't it be nice if this site had..."s, but they all take time to research, write up, edit, etc. I think this is partly what CasqueAbove is trying to do.

IDK if there will ever be a single all-encompassing site—or if there even should be.

You should take your idea to Brad and see if he has a place for that info. Form a group, brain storm, write it up, and illustrate as necessary. It would be helpful for people to know schefflera isn't just hard to spell but also hates having damp roots and need quick draining gravel in the bottom of the pot. We used to have experts like @Extensionofgreen to help with plant info.

You should take your idea to Brad and see if he has a place for that info. Form a group, brain storm, write it up, and illustrate as necessary. It would be helpful for people to know schefflera isn't just hard to spell but also hates having damp roots and need quick draining gravel in the bottom of the pot. We used to have experts like @Extensionofgreen to help with plant info.

I had the privilege to go to extensionofgreen's house. Seeing that parsonii enclosure in person was nicer than any zoo exhibit I've seen. Was a big inspiration for how I did my enclosure and the amount of plants he had was crazy! Learned a lot from that guy. Wish he was back on these forums.

Back
Top Bottom