Picky Eater

Jamire

Hey guys,
So I have been raising my ambanja/ambilobe chameleon for almost 2 months now. And although the breeder claims his hatch to be in October, he does not seem to be developing like most chameleons I see at 5-6 months. He has small tinges of blue/green in the body and faint oranges all around. But not much colour in general. Only about 2.5 inches long in body with an overall length w/ tail of 6 inches ish.

Anyway, I have been feeding him crickets and mealworms since I got him (only available food of appropriate size) gutloaded with veggies mainly being carrots and baby kale (it keeps the longest) with alternating gutloads of parsley, turnips, snap peas, romaine, bell peppers, apples, oranges.
The bugs do very well. The mealworms do too well, they all pupate eventually and my guy don't like no beetles.

He never ate a lot. Never more than 4-5 crickets a day, or 4 mealies. OR 2+2. I figured since he has good feces and urates and is active its okay. He is just a light eater.

I have now tried butterworms and he looks buts runs away more than wants to eat them. Then, I found a local source for DUBIA ROACHES. Baby nymphs and a little bigger size. Similar to cricket size. Perfect right? I get home and put him in front of his face (2 in his normal feeding cup) HE stares them down hard, and turns quite colourful. but backs away. No dice.

He looks at these foreign bugs and looks like he wants to take a bite, but always backs off. And then I will put in some crickets and he will literally jump to snap them up. 4 in a sitting. Then nothing else, no interest.

I threw out the rest of my mealworms, as they were mostly beetles and mid-stage pupae and the oat bedding was old and I noticed had a mold spot (Total killer, I would hate to make my guy sick with bad food)

Anyone have experience with light and picky eaters? Im worried cause he is skinny and I wish he would grow up big and strong.

Any pointers?

Hey there.

I had the same problem with my new what may be a sambava male, I believe him to be around 4-5 months now and I've had him a few weeks. He wouldn't touch anything but as soon as I tried calci worms and curly winged house flys he flew straight for them! Should definitely give them a go :D although even now he still won't touch dubia or crickets lol.

Yes, many of us have experienced picky eaters. Just keep offering the food varieties. Usually they will come around and eat sooner or later. I had one of mine that would not touch crickets for months, and then all of the sudden he was eating them more than any other food item.

I've heard around the forums that fly like bluebottlefly/housefly are very good to get him eating if he's a picky eater. Pretty cheap and they are easy to care for.

Loki will only eat crickets.....he will take a roach once in a while and he took a super worm twice....but his love is for crickets....I keep offering but alas, he shuns me lol

Okay so analyze this behaviour.

Ever since I got him, he was never shy about eating in front of me, actually he seemed encouraged to eat with company around (possible competition instincts) Its almost as though he knows that I stay to watch to make sure he eats.

Well after trying dubia's a few times with very odd reactions, he started to "pretend" to eat. Im serious. HE will walk over to nothing and be looking like he see's some food, makes a move and snaps his tongue... At nothing. No movement, no water. One eye at me the whole time, and then... Begins to chew!! On nothing!!

What? Is he trying to pull a quick one on me? getting me to think he ate something?

Weird.. All of these new food types have been making him very interesting. He is coming onto my hand when I offer it quite a bit, and drastic colour changes throughout the day.

Anyone make any sense of this?

He thought he saw something? lol I don't know!

Your guy sounds like he's developing just fine. Not all chams brighten up early. My male took a long while to start showing noticeable colour but he looks great now.

Fyi, dubia roaches are illegal in Canada. I wouldn't be advertising that on here - I learned that lesson this past winter. :)

Did you ever try silk worms or horned worms? We give them to ours as a treat every once in awhile, but maybe it would get him eating different things. We also just ordered some banana roaches for our picky eater. So we will see how it goes. Good luck! Don't give up!

I had a thread similar to this and was told to only feed crickets because a healthy Cham won't starve itself. My little guys would only take fruities. Also if you don't mind me asking where in canada can you get houseflies of bluebottle flies?

He thought he saw something? lol I don't know!

Your guy sounds like he's developing just fine. Not all chams brighten up early. My male took a long while to start showing noticeable colour but he looks great now.

Fyi, dubia roaches are illegal in Canada. I wouldn't be advertising that on here - I learned that lesson this past winter. :)

If you don't mind me asking whats your story ont this. how they found out and the outcome? you can PM me instead if you want

I had a thread similar to this and was told to only feed crickets because a healthy Cham won't starve itself. My little guys would only take fruities. Also if you don't mind me asking where in canada can you get houseflies of bluebottle flies?

I almost cant be bothered to order feeders online probably since plenty of stuff is available around me but I would just try your next reptile expo by you if thats possible. That's what I am going to try and do for some of the harder to find feeders

My next reptile show isn't till July and it's in Toronto, so I've been trying to find a place to order them cuz no one in my area sells them

Well lets just say I do not have dubia roaches, nor have ever had any.

I am successfully raising my own silkworms and have bought hornworms from local store on occasion. He ate 1 silkworm. That's it, no more interest. I got 30 small silkworms about to out grow my guy, and my second batch just hatched today. Uh-oh. I hope he starts eating these guys, its a whole lot of work.

HE don't like silks, he don't like horns, he don't like butters, he don't like PWL's.

HE only like Crix and Mealworms. meh.

Im trying so hard to keep a healthy stock of a variety of bugs, but he wont eat.

HE is still only eating max 4-5 crickets a day. With maybe 2 mealworms as well.
Tried fruits and veg. Gonna try some moths and flies soon. HE will probably just stick his nose up.
Light eater?

Don't know if this one is worth the drive from windsor. supposedly the last one there was decent usually they are pretty small the CRBE at international centre in september will be the better show to find anything and much much bigger

Back
Top Bottom