Picasso update

We really appreciate all the concern and thoughts we have received about Picasso......we just got back from the vet and it looks like he may lose about 1 whole inch of his tongue and maybe a little more , he is drinking water good and has had a good poop, we now need to make sure he eats enough, so Steve is going to puree some crickets and wax worms with mixed in calcium and try to get some of that down his throat........we have promised each other that we will do anything and whatever we have to do for this boy.

Sorry about the very difficult week you've been having.
I can only imagine how upsetting it has been.
Thanks for posting the update.

Sorry about the very difficult week you've been having.
I can only imagine how upsetting it has been.
Thanks for posting the update.

I agree. You have been through so much lately. I hope everything turns around for you and Picasso real soon.

Thanks again everyone for the concern......he is trying so hard to get what is dead of his tongue gone and no longer part of it away and is really working hard to get it off....I can't help him and I'm so upset, I can't stop the tears and just don't know what else to do for him, it is breaking my heart.....I don't know just how many out there really believe, but we really do need prayers.

Thanks again everyone for the concern......he is trying so hard to get what is dead of his tongue gone and no longer part of it away and is really working hard to get it off....I can't help him and I'm so upset, I can't stop the tears and just don't know what else to do for him, it is breaking my heart.....I don't know just how many out there really believe, but we really do need prayers.

I'll gladly keep you and yours in my prayers.

I'll gladly keep you and yours in my prayers.

Thank you so much......I feel so bad about my boy and what he has been through....most people don't realize just how much these chams mean to us, I love mine with all my heart and that is why I'm so upset with myself or letting this happen.

Hey Sherri, just do what you can to keep him hydrated and try to get some bug juice/baby food down him... That's all you can do for now!!!! I bet he'll be just fine, although, like you said, you may have to hand feed him from now on,,, but so what!!!!

Don't beat yourself up about it. You were trying to enrich his life with free ranging and sometimes accidents just happen no matter how perfect everything else is. I was expecting the end of his tongue to necrose off so I'm not at all surprised. Some of the tissue remaining might be damaged but might not die completely. But some more may still be lost. What medications is he on if you don't mind me asking?

It will just take some time for him to feel better enough to try to eat on his own. Then you'll be able to see how much function is left.

I believe !! ( and I even started the first night I saw the post - and will keep saying one every night until he is better :))

Hey Sherri, just do what you can to keep him hydrated and try to get some bug juice/baby food down him... That's all you can do for now!!!! I bet he'll be just fine, although, like you said, you may have to hand feed him from now on,,, but so what!!!!

Thanks Lisa, and you're right...so what, I still will have this boy I love so much.

Don't beat yourself up about it. You were trying to enrich his life with free ranging and sometimes accidents just happen no matter how perfect everything else is. I was expecting the end of his tongue to necrose off so I'm not at all surprised. Some of the tissue remaining might be damaged but might not die completely. But some more may still be lost. What medications is he on if you don't mind me asking?

It will just take some time for him to feel better enough to try to eat on his own. Then you'll be able to see how much function is left.

Thanks.......he stopped taking the Metacam today, but is still on Chloramphenicol liquid and Carafate liquid.....My husband did get about 2.1ml of baby food green beans mixed with calcium down him tonight and he is drinking well.....about 1/8 inches of his tongue did fall off tonight and he still has about 1/2 inches that is still very black and looks like dried jerky.

Oh if it looks like jerky then it will eventually fall off also. Burns are highly susceptible to infection so that antibiotic is a good thing. Glad that he took some food! My veiled can't use his tongue either. It gives them character. ;)

Oh if it looks like jerky then it will eventually fall off also. Burns are highly susceptible to infection so that antibiotic is a good thing. Glad that he took some food! My veiled can't use his tongue either. It gives them character. ;)

So this isn't a death sentence....gives me hope, thanks!.......can you tell me about your veiled?

I'm sorry you are going through this. At least you were able to get him to the vet and well taken care of. He will be just fine. They adapt to hand feeding and I have seen some that just go up and bite the prey like other lizards do. The chameleon we are babysitting right now has a tongue issue as well, but he either eats from your hand or just goes and eats worms off of branches.

I'm sorry you are going through this. At least you were able to get him to the vet and well taken care of. He will be just fine. They adapt to hand feeding and I have seen some that just go up and bite the prey like other lizards do. The chameleon we are babysitting right now has a tongue issue as well, but he either eats from your hand or just goes and eats worms off of branches.

Thanks, I'm feeling a lot more relief about his situation with all I have been reading on boards.

How is he today?

This morning he lost another small bit of his tongue, he does still have some dried black tissue remaining that he should lose soon.......Steve got him to eat a small amount this morning, baby food green beans, and he is going to feed him some more a little later...this poor baby is such an angel, he has been through so much and not once has he hissed or tried to bit us and this is with us having to do everything we have to do,.we are having to force his mouth open and stick syringes down his throat to feed him and give him his meds.....what a little trooper he is.

Back
Top Bottom