Picasso update

I just have to thank everyone on these boards, the knowledge, the concern, the comforting and advice is just over the top....what a great internet family.......I really believe Picasso is going to be just fine and live a great life....THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

It's true, lots of Chams can make it fine after losing their tongues. It makes it more awkward to look after them if you have to hand feed each time, but once he recovers he might even be able to cup feed himself.
It's great that he's been good about the attention, it means you don't have to worry too much about stress complications. I think that if you are syringing food for a while it would be much better to use bug juice than baby food.
Keep up the good work and a trooper like that can live a long happy life :)

So this isn't a death sentence....gives me hope, thanks!.......can you tell me about your veiled?

Definitely not a death sentence! Mine had some kind of injury (I think he got it caught on something) so it shoots crooked - he can't shoot it and catch anything. He eats out of a cup and just barely sticks his tongue out to stick bugs or just outright bites them like a bearded dragon would. He gets along great! And hoj and olimpia have both had chams that had their tongues amputated completely and needed to be hand fed carefully but did well. Depending on how much tissue Picasso loses he may still be able to eat like my George does because he'll have enough to swallow easily, or he may need more intensive care for feedings. Definitely not a death sentence though to lose part of the tongue. :)

So glad he is progressing. Sund like he will be just fine! Keep us updated and hopefully he will still be able to use part of his tongue.

I am so glad he is doing better - that says alot for the trust he has in you guys too :D I will still pray every night for all of you, I know how it is to care for a very sick little cham - ( and right now I have a little dog hooked up to an IV in my family room :() the love makes it so easy to do for them :) hang in there and I so agree with you as far as the ppl on this forum - THEY ARE THE BEST !!

I am so glad he is doing better - that says alot for the trust he has in you guys too :D I will still pray every night for all of you, I know how it is to care for a very sick little cham - ( and right now I have a little dog hooked up to an IV in my family room :() the love makes it so easy to do for them :) hang in there and I so agree with you as far as the ppl on this forum - THEY ARE THE BEST !!

Thanks for the prayers, and I'm sorry you have a sick little dog....we will put him in our prayers.

It's true, lots of Chams can make it fine after losing their tongues. It makes it more awkward to look after them if you have to hand feed each time, but once he recovers he might even be able to cup feed himself.
It's great that he's been good about the attention, it means you don't have to worry too much about stress complications. I think that if you are syringing food for a while it would be much better to use bug juice than baby food.
Keep up the good work and a trooper like that can live a long happy life :)

Thanks for the encouragement,... how do I get the bug juice?

Not much difference in today and the past couple of days, except he lost a little bit more tongue.....one thing that does concern me is that before he burned his tongue he would wander all over the house and not sit very much under his basking light, now he sits under it all day and never wanders anywhere, I really don't understand this behavior, he won't move more that one foot away from it.

I'm beginning to think he may not make it now, he still can't use his tongue, he can barely swallow his baby food, he sits in one place under his basking light all day and the thing that bothers me the most is he hasn't pooped since Sat......it is breaking my heart to watch him like this.

I'm beginning to think he may not make it now, he still can't use his tongue, he can barely swallow his baby food, he sits in one place under his basking light all day and the thing that bothers me the most is he hasn't pooped since Sat......it is breaking my heart to watch him like this.

Oh no!!! Is there anything you can do??

Oh no!!! Is there anything you can do??

We can only continue what we are doing and try to keep feeding him with food in a small syringe....I'm going to call the vet again tomorrow and discuss what we may have to do.....need prayers from all we can get.

Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers for my boy, they are working I do believe, today he looks really good, still hard to get food down him but he is drinking good and has about 1/2 inches more of his tongue to lose and after that the vet believes he will be able to swallow much better.....this morning I came in to wake him up and he had that 1/2 inch of tongue dried up and stuck to the side of his mouth, he would try to open his mouth but couldn't, we put him in a warm wash cloth and bathed him in some warm water and it loosened up and came unstuck, and ever since he has been bashing and soaking in some UVA and UVB rays....vet said he was doing this as a way to help heal himself.....please keep up the prayers and we will see if tomorrow is better.

Back
Top Bottom