Picasso update

Aw, sorry to hear that the rest must go.
I don't know how squeamish you are but when one of my chams was too sick to eat, I fed him bugs via a syringe.
I simply squished the heads first to make it quicker for them and then stuffed them into the syringe.
Maybe Picasso could get actual bugs that way, since they come out of the syringe as mush--even crickets.
Another alternative is Laurie's wonderful Bug Juice

I will buy a small brender tomorrow and make that boy some bug juice....I have a lot of feeders and need to use them before they die....thank you!

You're quite welcome but Laurie is the clever one.
Some people on this forum have come up with some great ideas and I make a note of them in case I need them in the future.
Maybe you can ask Laurie if the bug juice freezes well.
If it does, you could make larger batches and freeze some "bug cubes".

He is so very handsome and I'm sure he'll do just fine without a tongue. I'm not a vet but I was wondering why they didn't take the entire tongue already. To me it just seemed like it would have been a faster recovery instead of dragging it out a little bit at the time.

He is so very handsome and I'm sure he'll do just fine without a tongue. I'm not a vet but I was wondering why they didn't take the entire tongue already. To me it just seemed like it would have been a faster recovery instead of dragging it out a little bit at the time.

They didn't think it would all die off like it has but when we go back next week and if there is still some dying, then maybe they will take it all at that time.......we hope for the best.

I was thinking of you guys :) glad all is going well
I am now a big "fan" of this little guy :D

Thank you and we appreciate all the thoughts and prayers.....he has me a little worried today, his color is very drab and ugly and he is not acting like he has the past two weeks......just fed him some bug juice Steve made up and he may have maybe put too much in his mouth, it started to come out his nostrils.....but his color is really worrying me.

Oh no. :( is he breathing alright?? Could he have maybe aspirated some?? Oh poor dear:( I will say a prayer for you guys :(

I found that the best way to give my Charlotte confidence eating after her full tongue amputation was to let her try to "shoot" for it and slip the cricket into her mouth. Otherwise, if I just held it she would never get it and she would get frustrated and stop trying. And if I forcefed her she would never learn. So I had to use any chance where she had her mouth open to slip in a cricket or worm so she thought she was eating them herself.

It's tough, and you feel so bad for this animal that doesn't understand why they can't do something they've always done but they will get used to it, it just might take weeks.

I found that the best way to give my Charlotte confidence eating after her full tongue amputation was to let her try to "shoot" for it and slip the cricket into her mouth. Otherwise, if I just held it she would never get it and she would get frustrated and stop trying. And if I forcefed her she would never learn. So I had to use any chance where she had her mouth open to slip in a cricket or worm so she thought she was eating them herself.

It's tough, and you feel so bad for this animal that doesn't understand why they can't do something they've always done but they will get used to it, it just might take weeks.

I will try that if and when he decides to act like he wants to hunt or catch his prey, right no he has no interest in opening his mouth for any type of food.....he did a few days ago try and get a cricket I was holding with tweezers, he got it in his mouth but couldn't swallow it and ever since he has not shown any interest......my heart just breaks when we have to force feed him, I'll be so glad when he does want to open his mouth and take a cricket or worm.........how did Charlotte lose her tongue?

Courtney, thanks and we need the prayers.

We got 4ml of bug juice down him and his meds and let him hang around on the window blinds and his color just perked back up to the vivid colors he has been....have to feed him 1ml at a time and let him swallow all that before we can give him another 1ml and then let him bask or whatever he wants to do for a couple of hours before we give him more.....I'm a lot more optimistic now......Thanks again to everyone!

......how did Charlotte lose her tongue?

She managed to swallow it somehow, so it sat in her stomach for at least a full night and morning before I noticed anything out of the usual. It was too swollen and damaged to be saved and she had it amputated the following day. It's a freak accident, and no one really knows why they (or HOW) the manage to swallow their tongues but every once in a blue moon someone manages to do it.

Just now catching up. So sorry that he will lose his whole tongue but I will be praying he will pull through just fine. He seems like he is a real fighter and with the love he is getting I am sure he will be back to his normal self in no time.

Back
Top Bottom