Painting the Cham Room

deadhd5

Avid Member
Hi everyone. I thought I was done with my chameleon room, but I keep finding ways to improve the room.

One of the few remaining problems with my "Jungle Room" is the burgundy flat paint on the walls. Not the most natural color, and not very resistant to the humidity.

I was thinking of repainting using the stuff in the link below and was wondering if anyone could offer an extimate on how long I would need to keep my chams out of the room to let this stuff dry. It is high gloss, zero VOC colorants, and allegedly dries in 30 minutes. I was hoping to do this over the course of 4 or 5 days. Thoughts?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...H=REC-_-product-1-_-203456103-_-203456097-_-N

No clue about this answer, sorry, but have you considered doing some vinyl wall art? You can find some online and it's basically peel and stick. I'm planning on re-doing a spare room for my chams and was looking into this option. Pricy, to be sure, but there are some great designs/pictures out there. Look at www.muralsyourway.com (and no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them at all).

I have never tried that brand, but I personally would not do a semi-gloss on the walls. You are going to get a LOT of glare from the lights, and that makes colors look very harsh. People are afraid of flat paint....it is the hardest to clean but the easiest to touch up. Behr and Benjamin Moore make some really durable flat paints, and you will get your truest color in flat (which is why all the paint chip samples are flat). But if you MUST do a sheen, you can do eggshell or satin. If you get small sample sizes of the color you like in both flat and semi gloss, and paint samples on your wall, you will see a HUGE difference in color just because of the glare. AND the glossier the paint, the less it will hide wall imperfections. You'll see every bump and dip....

I have never used that brand, but most behr paint available at Home Depot is voc free these days. I agree with the other reply to go with something other than semi-gloss. I would personally go with satin, but that is a personal preference. That being said, I have had issues with behr paint and covering dark colors like you will be. The best voc free paint I have ever used was sherwin Williams harmony. It's a little more expensive but much easier to cover in my opinion and great coloring. Funny enough I picked up some today and was on 25% off sale this week. Good luck

I agree with satin and as far as when to put them back in the room.... I would say when you can no longer smell the paint fumes yourself, then it would be safe for your cham. JMO

Back
Top Bottom