newly acquired melleri pair interaction

pamnsam94

Established Member
Just yesterday, I was very glad to receive a suspected pair of LTC melleri from Kelly (KellysChameleons). Kelly did a great job raising them from a size of approximately 9" in total length. Attached are a few pics I took today when I first put the highly suspected male with the suspected female to see if I could determine what sexes they are. I also took some video that I really want to share. I just have to upload it somewhere and provide a link.

Perry

Attachments

• DSC05842.jpg
    DSC05842.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC05843.jpg
    DSC05843.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC05844.jpg
    DSC05844.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 461
Just yesterday, I was very glad to receive a suspected pair of LTC melleri from Kelly (KellysChameleons). Kelly did a great job raising them from a size of approximately 9" in total length. Attached are a few pics I took today when I first put the highly suspected male with the suspected female to see if I could determine what sexes they are. I also took some video that I really want to share. I just have to upload it somewhere and provide a link.

Perry

Those pics are so awesome! I have never seen them fired up like that ;-)

The male immediately turned black and yellow and quickly started head bobbing and flicking his occipital lobes. That behavior I've witnessed many times before from confirmed males. The "female" (I don't believe I have to use quotes from now on), immediately took on the coloration you see, but I've never observed that pattern/color in any of the past confirmed females or males that I've had. However, her behavior (not to mention the male's) is why I'm confident she is indeed a female. Although melleri have complex breeding behaviors and social interactions (females sometimes imitate males, etc.) and usually take some time to get used to each other (just having a pair doesn't mean they'll be compatible, etc.), I am hopeful for this pair. The male is larger so given enough time, hopefully when the female becomes receptive, she'll allow him to mate and he'll be up to the task. :) The female rocked and held her flaps at a 90 degree angle most of the time. Eventually, as the male crept ever closer, getting more excited and flicking his flaps even faster, she head butted him in a show of strength. She also gaped some at him, but fortunately she didn't try to bite him. I was quick to break it up though, of course, to avoid any injuries. As they have been since I received them yesterday, they are now separated, although I hope to free-range them eventually, as I've done before with melleri. Attached are some pics of the female after I removed the male. She was still worked up for the first set of photos I took of her. Once she realized the male was gone she returned to her non-stressed, resting coloration of yellow and green.

Perry

Attachments

• DSC05863.jpg
    DSC05863.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC05868.jpg
    DSC05868.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC05871.jpg
    DSC05871.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Awesome pictures and interaction! I didn't know they could bring their occipital lobes so far forward... sooo cool. Keep us updated with their progress.

Thanks for the kind words Perry:) I truly miss them already , but I know they are in great hands with u and I'm very excited for u to have success with eventually breeding them

more pics

These were taken right after she changed to these colors, soon after the male started to advance.

Perry

Attachments

• DSC05836.jpg
    DSC05836.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC05837.jpg
    DSC05837.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC05839.jpg
    DSC05839.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 339
still more

In the 3rd pic, the male is starting to retreat.

Attachments

• DSC05840.jpg
    DSC05840.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC05841.jpg
    DSC05841.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC05845.jpg
    DSC05845.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 323
...and more

In these shots, she had just butted her head against his side and he is retreating more quickly. As I intervened right after this, putting my hand between the two, she pushed up with her head against my hand and even lifted up the stick a little. Her behavior kind of reminded me of a rhinoceros. :D She was definitely making it known who's the boss. In the third photo, she's looking back at him, probably making sure he's stopping his advances.

Perry

Attachments

• DSC05846.jpg
    DSC05846.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC05847.jpg
    DSC05847.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC05852.jpg
    DSC05852.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 310
Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

You're welcome. I'd love to share more often. :) It just takes too much time sometimes to upload the pics. I love your avatar. Looks like he/she's the one saying, "Awesome!"

I'd really like to share the video I took of this interaction. What is the easiest/quickest way that any of you know of to do that? YouTube or Photobucket and pasting a link or is there a faster way?

Thanks,
Perry

Those photos are amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing. Of course, they just made me want some Mellers even more than I did already:p

I would love to see the video. I would think YouTube would be the easiest option and then just paste the link here so we can all watch and be jeleous of you and that awesome pair of Mellers!:D

You're welcome. I'd love to share more often. :) It just takes too much time sometimes to upload the pics. I love your avatar. Looks like he/she's the one saying, "Awesome!"

I'd really like to share the video I took of this interaction. What is the easiest/quickest way that any of you know of to do that? YouTube or Photobucket and pasting a link or is there a faster way?

Thanks,
Perry

Lol! More like "Ok enough already, go away!" I took it back when she needed treatment, so she was pretty tired of seeing me.

I think youtube might be your best option, and then just post the link. I'm not familiar with how you embed the video into the forum, as I've never tried it, perhaps someone else knows.

Amazing pictures, and I hope you do post a youtube video. Youtube embedding is eady. See this thread for instructions.

Please post pictures of the setup too!! :eek::eek::D

Very nice pictures! I have a Meller's and just constructed two cages (and more in the works for breeding), hopefully can share similar activity soon.

Good "documental" with awesome pics, they really help a lot of people!

Many thanks! Have more pic's of male? Turning black?

Back
Top Bottom