quads with intestinal prolapse

pamnsam94

Established Member
Fortunately, until recently, I've never really had to deal with an intestinal prolapse. I've read a lot about them, but now, I have the misfortune to try to figure out possible causes. From what I've read, the cause/causes of intestinal prolapses are still pretty much a mystery, but I thought I would share what happened to me just in case my particular experience might be of benefit to someone.

A couple of weeks ago, to my horror, I found one of my 11 month old male quads with a prolapse. I have a friend, Rob, who's a vet, and after he managed to work the prolapsed section of the intestine back inside, he used a purse string suture to prevent the prolapse from reoccuring. The chameleon seemed to do well for a few days but then took a turn for the worse and eventually died. Although I considered some possible causes, I figured the prolapse was just a freak accident, that is, until yesterday.

Just yesterday, upon finding another of the 11 1/2 month old quads (this time a female) with the same condition, I concluded the cause must be environmental.

Overfeeding has often been a suggested cause of intestinal prolapse, but I didn't think this was an issue in these instances. However, I did make some changes to their husbandry lately that I suspect may have definitely contributed to their condition. When they were approaching 11 months old, I moved a group of 7 quads to my basement to make room for younger clutches of quads I'm raising. My basement definitely has a cooler ambient temperature than where the youngsters were kept before. Plus, I also decreased the misting frequency and duration.

My hypothesis? I'm thinking that because I'm offering at least as much food as they were receiving before the move, and because the temps are cooler, food is not moving through their guts as fast as it was before, resulting in more "back-up". This, in combination with less misting, might result in them having to strain causing the prolapses. Does any of this sound reasonable?

In any case, I'll be trying to increase the ambient temps, and I'll be increasing the misting times and frequencies back to what they were before. Hopefully, those measures will help prevent any other occurrences.

Perry

I have nothing to add except to say thanks for sharing these findings and that your hypothesis makes a lot of sense to me.

Wow. Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Your theory makes sense, but I'm not a vet, nor do I pretend to be one. It'll be interesting to see what kind of feedback you get on this.

Good luck with the rest of your crew and I hope going back to your original husbandry ways will correct the issue.

Perry I wish I knew what to say. I have had 2 chams with prolapses. Both were small chams. The tiny jackson I lost but the male transvaal lived for a long time after his prolapse. he was about 4 grams and there was no way to do a stitch.
Sorry about your quads.:(

One thing I can say is that sometimes after a prolapse has been put back in the chameleon can develop a fungal infection that can kill it.

Can't say for sure what could have caused the problem....sorry.

Bumping an old thread because as a new cham owner I've decided to take on a quad as my second cham. I think I'm prepared and have a good care sheet but I'm reading through old quad threads to see what I can find out.

This one seems worthy of attention. Is there more followup to know? (I will search more, but a link in this thread to another on the same topic would be helpful.)

Are quads particularly prone to overeating and prolapse in a way that should be managed? Do I need to be careful about feeding a tiny young cham that is going to want to eat a lot out of the box?

Thanks,
-->Aaron

Bumping an old thread because as a new cham owner I've decided to take on a quad as my second cham. I think I'm prepared and have a good care sheet but I'm reading through old quad threads to see what I can find out.

This one seems worthy of attention. Is there more followup to know? (I will search more, but a link in this thread to another on the same topic would be helpful.)

Are quads particularly prone to overeating and prolapse in a way that should be managed? Do I need to be careful about feeding a tiny young cham that is going to want to eat a lot out of the box?

Thanks,
-->Aaron

IMHO (and considering I haven't kept quads) I happen to think the hypothesis about cooling and less hydration could lead to a prolapse. From what little we do know about prolapses it makes sense...drop in the metabolic rate and lower their hydration (even in the feeders themselves) at the same time and it may well slow the GI tract to the point it is harder for them to pass the contents. Denser urates and compacted feeder parts can lead to straining. I can't imagine the discomfort from retention stitches...on top of all the rest just makes defecation harder.

Thanks,
-->Aaron

Check out this link: https://www.chameleonforums.com/prolapse-any-help-would-great-134915/

I responded with post #15 of that thread with a brief summary of the three prolapses that I experienced with quads.

Perry

Back
Top Bottom