What would you have done?

pamnsam94

Established Member
Although I've kept chameleons since the mid 80s, it never ceases to amaze me how quickly a chameleon can die. My female melleri, died last night, 6 days after she laid her eggs. So sad. :( Yesterday morning her eyes were partially sunken, and I was immediately worried. Before going to bed, I knew she would be dead by morning. Chameleons seem to turn on a dime sometimes.

Ever since I bought her as part of a breeding pair in December, I've been wanting to treat her for parasites, but I was delaying the process until she laid her eggs. After she laid 21 eggs, I didn't think there was any need to hurry because I first wanted to give her a little bit of recovery time before treating her. Too many dead worms taxing her immune system might be detrimental to her health. Upon receiving her until the day she died, I put the highest priority on hydrating her. About two to three weeks before she laid, which was on 2/21, she started having loose stools, but again, I wanted to wait until she laid before treating her for parasites.

I assume all WC melleri are going to have a number of parasites and knew that the pair I had purchased had not been treated. With many species, including melleri, I feel that importers should use a shotgun approach and at least treat them with fenbendazole (maybe Flagyl too) but only after doing everything they can to make sure they are well hydrated. With other species (e.g. quads that don't seemed to be as heavily parasitized), I would prefer the importer not to use the shotgun approach.

Although I don't know the cause of her death, looking back, I wish I would have treated her with Panacur a day after she laid, even though that might have caused additional stress or possibly about a week after I got her. I suspected she had parasites due to the way her stool looked (at first it was more solid, but then it became kind of loose) and because her appetite was never really good. At first, I didn't let her low appetite concern me too much because I knew she was gravid and a female sometimes won't eat as much when they're close to laying, but when a couple of days had passed since laying, I strongly suspected that most of her low appetite was due to parasites. Besides, I once had another gravid melleri that didn't seem to lose any of her appetite at all, even right up to the day of laying, even though she laid about 70 eggs! So, while many keepers experience loss of appetite with their gravid animals days before laying, many times I think it just depends on the particular animal or other factors.

This morning, I cut her open and found an additional 5 eggs, close in size to the ones she laid, but they weren't calcified. I've seen eggs in various stages of development along the oviduct in other chameleon species, so I don't think anything like egg-binding was the cause of her death. Anyway, I'm just glad she was able to successfully lay the 21 eggs I now have incubating. She even did a great job concealing the nest, even though she may have been weakened somewhat not only due to the process itself but because of the parasites too.

So, I'm trying to learn what I can from this. What would most of you have done if you were convinced she had parasites but knowing full well she was gravid? I was especially trying to minimize stress, especially giving her a lot of privacy and making sure she was well hydrated. If I would have treated with Panacur before she laid, although the medicine itself shouldn't harm the eggs, I was concerned about what effect massive worm die-offs might have on her. Who knows? Maybe with that stress alone, she might not have successfully laid. My wife says that I shouldn't beat myself up over this, but I keep wondering what I might have done differently to have kept her from dying.

At first, I was just glad to have a guaranteed pair of melleri, let alone a compatible, breeding pair. Well, that was short-lived. :( At least the male is doing well and hopefully the eggs will hatch. Now, I need to find another female. :)

Perry

I'm very sorry for the loss of your girl :(
if i were in your shoes, i think i would have had as much of a hard time as you did deciding what to do, to treat for the parasites or not.. i believe i would have done the same thing you did, not treated to reduce stress and possibly save the clutch of eggs..
i agree with your wife that you should try not to beat yourself up, you made a decision and i think it was the right one and she didnt make it, but you cant blame yourself. however i do know how hard it is not to blame yourself and wonder if there is something more you could have done when one of these beloved creatures dies..
so there is my two cents on it and again im very sorry for your loss. try to keep your chin up and keep us updated on the eggs!

Jasmine

Perry you did the exact same think I would have done. What you did was textbook logical. Knowing how fragile a gravid female is anyway, I would never treat anything that I did not feel was urgent. You did everything right, but sadly you lost the roll of the dice. You did nothing wrong, from my point of view.

Thank you for sharing this information. I'm sorry things didn't work out better for you.

I have 11 melleri - all WC. None of them came to me gravid so I really don't know what I would have done. Probably just what you did - concentrate on good hydration and get her through laying.

Good luck with the eggs.

Don't waste energy second-guessing yourself. You made the best decision you could and you did the best you could under the circumstances.

I spent some time second-guessing myself for the past several days after losing a cham that came to me sick. I kept wondering what else I could have done, or whether she would still be alive had I done things faster/earlier/in a different order. After hearing from one of the vets who participated in her autopsy, I now know I couldn't have done anything . . .

But I still wonder. And I know rationally it's a waste of energy.

So if you can give yourself permission to let it go, as I should, too, then we'll both be better off.

It's tough, though. I really hate losing an animal.

Sandy

Thanks everyone. I read before that melleri were once called "the three month chameleon" but in my experience with them, although time consuming with vet visits, good hydration, etc., it's never been too dificult to keep them considerably longer than that. Other than a melleri I received once through the mail (I mistakenly bought it sight unseen; it was basically dead right out of the box), this is the shortest amount of time that I ever had one. Like I mentioned, it was amazing how quickly she turned. She was obviously healthy enough to go through the egg laying process, digging a nice pit and concealing the nest. My suspicion is that the physical stress of egg laying, combined with the parasites she had to be carrying (which I'm assuming started to multiply due to a compromised immune system of being in captivity, etc.) is what caused her to go downhill so quickly. Had anyone told me the previous day that she would be dead the following night, I would have said, "no way!". As I said previously, chameleons never cease to amaze me how quickly they can die. Thanks again for the responses and well wishes for the eggs.

Perry

I am really curious about something. You said,
I cut her open and found an additional 5 eggs, close in size to the ones she laid, but they weren't calcified. I've seen eggs in various stages of development along the oviduct in other chameleon species, so I don't think anything like egg-binding was the cause of her death.

I recently lost a veiled cham (rehome/rescue, had her less than two weeks) that the vets opened up. They found 23 eggs "insufficiently calcified and stuck to her uterus--she couldn't lay them" (quote is approximate, as I didn't take notes, but that's essentially what I was told).

However, it sounds like you're saying that having eggs in various stages of calcification is normal. As I'm a complete newbie to the world of chams, I'm seeking lots of education before we get one to raise ourselves. So what I'm getting from what you said is that the eggs that our rehome appeared unable to lay, that were "stuck to her uterus," were normal. Or am I extrapolating too far? We know that this veiled female was extremely calcium deficient (definitely MBD though not showing overt signs such as double elbows), so could it be that her eggs were indeed "insufficiently" calcified rather than less calcified than others due to a normal process?

Hope I'm making sense here. I'm still doing a lot of research . . .

Thanks for any information, resources, etc.

Sandy

I am so sorry to read this.. I know exactly how you feel.. Ernie's death was extremely sudden too.. sending love and thoughts your way x

I am really curious about something. You said,

I recently lost a veiled cham (rehome/rescue, had her less than two weeks) that the vets opened up. They found 23 eggs "insufficiently calcified and stuck to her uterus--she couldn't lay them" (quote is approximate, as I didn't take notes, but that's essentially what I was told).

However, it sounds like you're saying that having eggs in various stages of calcification is normal. As I'm a complete newbie to the world of chams, I'm seeking lots of education before we get one to raise ourselves. So what I'm getting from what you said is that the eggs that our rehome appeared unable to lay, that were "stuck to her uterus," were normal. Or am I extrapolating too far? We know that this veiled female was extremely calcium deficient (definitely MBD though not showing overt signs such as double elbows), so could it be that her eggs were indeed "insufficiently" calcified rather than less calcified than others due to a normal process?

Hope I'm making sense here. I'm still doing a lot of research . . .

Thanks for any information, resources, etc.

Sandy

I may be off on this, but I don't think it's odd to have a female lay and to still have eggs in her that are not fully developed. I've heard female chameleons described as "egg machines". Producing eggs is something they do on a regular basis. I don't know at what time during development that the eggs usually become completely calcified, but I do know that it is not uncommon for females to reabsorb eggs, to lay a clutch that is infertile, or to lay a clutch where either all or some of the eggs are partially calcified.

The 21 eggs that were layed by my melleri are completely calcified, although one is particularly small. However, the eggs I took out of her did not have any eggshell. They simply looked to be in an earlier stage of development. I'm not sure what might have happened to them if she would've lived (maybe reabsorb them?).

Sometimes it seems that "anything goes" is the norm. I once had a female quad drop eggs from her perch, even though she had adequate areas in which to dig a tunnel. All of the eggs looked fantastic, and I thought they were all good (fertile). However, starting around 3 to 4 months, one by one they started going bad. When I cut open each of the eggs, there was no sign of an embryo whatsoever, not even any vascularization (no blood vessels), just yolk. Around 4 1/2 months (the normal incubation time for quads in my experience is around 5 months), the final egg went bad. I opened it up expecting nothing, but I found a completely developed baby. Apparently, the entire clutch was infertile except for one. Had he hatched, I might have called him Nemo. :)

I've heard it said that if a female doesn't dig, it usually means the eggs are no good. However, that isn't always the case. People sometimes have a good hatch rate even when eggs are dropped. There may be multiple reasons why a female doesn't dig.

Concerning a gravid chameleon that dies with MBD, I've read keepers' accounts where the eggs were not calcified (at least not fully), but I've also heard of instances where they were fully calcified.

With the female veiled that you lost, it's hard for me to say why she died (overall poor health due to MBD or egg-binding?) I really can't say. I would defer to your vet's opinion on that, especially if he/she has a lot a chameleon experience. However, I applaud you for trying to rescue her and for trying to learn more. Good luck with your research. You'll find a lot of good info here on the forums and a lot of people that are more than willing to help.

Perry

Perry, you were truly caught between a rock and a hard place.
Although you now know for certain the outcome of not treating her sooner--you do not know what the outcome would have been had you treated her any sooner.
It may have been exactly the same for her, though you might not have ended up with any eggs at all.
If there were enough parasites to have killed her post-laying, who's to say that the parasite die-off would not have killed her, regardless of exactly when she was medicated?
Do you even know which parasites she was infected with?
Panacur may not have made any difference whatsover, since she may have been infected with parasites that only are killed by Flagyl or ones which aren't affected by either.
No sense beating yourself up on this.
Accept that she may have been dead either way and concentrate on caring for those eggs, instead.
So terribly sorry for your loss.:(
It breaks my heart when a cham passes.

Last edited:
Perry, you were truly caught between a rock and a hard place.
Although you now know for certain the outcome of not treating her sooner--you do not know what the outcome would have been had you treated her any sooner.
It may have been exactly the same for her, though you might not have ended up with any eggs at all.
If there were enough parasites to have killed her post-laying, who's to say that the parasite die-off would not have killed her, regardless of exactly when she was medicated?
Do you even know which parasites she was infected with?
Panacur may not have made any difference whatsover, since she may have been infected with parasites that only are killed by Flagyl or ones which aren't affected by either.
No sense beating yourself up on this.
Accept that she may have been dead either way and concentrate on caring for those eggs, instead.
So terribly sorry for your loss.:(
It breaks my heart when a cham passes.

Thanks. You bring up some good points that I thought of too. No, I don't know for sure what parasites were present, and you're right, she may have mostly been affected by parasites that Flagyl would kill but not Panacur. After treating with Panacur, I was going to have her checked to find out exactly what parasites she still had. I figured that it might be less stressful on her system if I gave her Panacur and Flagyl on different days. In any case, I am ready to let it go. No more beating myself up. :) Now, if I can just find another female, that will certainly help the hurt :D

Perry said,
Good luck with your research. You'll find a lot of good info here on the forums and a lot of people that are more than willing to help.

That's certain! I had so much help so quickly from members of these forums when I initially got the cham and during the two weeks we were trying to save her; I was highly impressed at the dedication and concern shown!

I really appreciate your thorough response to my question. It seems possible that the remaining eggs were simply in the process of forming, but as the cham was so calcium-depleted, it's likely that the process was delayed/interrupted too long. She began laying her eggs on 2/17, and when she died on 2/25, she wasn't finished laying but hadn't laid any eggs for well over 48 hours.

I'm sure, as the vets indicated a couple of times, the worst thing for her was her inadequate nutritional status.

Thank you again for your thorough response. DH & I want to be sure we know as much as possible before acquiring another chameleon, as responsible husbandry is extremely important to both of us.

I hope the eggs you got from the melleri are viable; I'll be watching for posts about them! GOOD LUCK!

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom