New to Reptiles - Considering a Chameleon

This is my high tech:
View attachment 188114
I have a bit of a snail problem, but there's no reasonable way to get rid of them. More shrimp and fw gobies (an uncommon/rareish fish) are soon to come.
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a clown loach would eat up all of those snails. I think that tank might be too small to house one though. Sorry this is really off topic.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a clown loach would eat up all of those snails. I think that tank might be too small to house one though. Sorry this is really off topic.
They need at least a 180. I could keep them in my 210, but I don't need one. A 12" fish in a 24 x 14 tank won't work well.

As the title states, I'm considering the reptile hobby.

I currently own 4 aquariums, ranging from 4 to 210 gallons, all of which require daily care, and about 3-4 hours of work each weekend. I understand these aren't the best beginner lizards, but I plan to devote myself to the work that comes with owning a Chameleon, just like how I did with my aquariums.

What should I know before owning one? I understand they're tree dwelling lizards, and they prefer a humid, screen habitat. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

These were the materials I was planning to get. Is there anything else I need? Is this a good kit for a male Veiled Chameleon?

Habitat kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JX4FAVYN&psc=1

Fogger: Amazon.com : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OJII3VEM&psc=1

Chameleons: http://flchams.com/chameleon/premium...leon-for-sale/
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/3...her-chameleons
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/3...her-chameleons

I'm leaning towards the baby panthers because they're much more colorful and only $30 more, but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. Both look good.
I killed my first Panther. Grant it I was sold a runt. So I purchased an adult as my second. I've had him for almost a year and love it. A chameleon was my first reptile. It took me months of even having my second Cham to stop freaking out about every last little thing.

I'd get banded crickets and roaches. Grab a hornworms cup and bottlefly spikes. The spikes hatch at room temp and you can slow them down by putting them in the fridge. Makes it easier to throw in cage, they warm up fast and start flying around for your chams to catch. Hornworms eat the food they come with, day in fridge, day out... repeat. Crickets need a large bin with sides and top cut out replaced with metal screen for ventilation(or they'll die from gases the dead give off). Orange head roaches kept like Dubia, cut screen out like with crickets just at the top. Keep around 85-90. Put egg flats in for hiding. Feed veggies, citrus fruit, nuts, seeds, etc(NO animal protein like cat/dogfood) no need to clean roach bins. Just pull moldy food out. Keep in dark place.

Long story short, I have a stocking issue with my tank, and after I brought it up with my father, he said it was okay for me to buy another tank at first. Now he changed his mind, so I have extra money to put towards the chameleon itself. With more money I'll likely get a panther chameleon over a veiled. Any suggestions on where to buy from?

Long story short, I have a stocking issue with my tank, and after I brought it up with my father, he said it was okay for me to buy another tank at first. Now he changed his mind, so I have extra money to put towards the chameleon itself. With more money I'll likely get a panther chameleon over a veiled. Any suggestions on where to buy from?
If you want a panther chat with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla . He's amazing , he will make sure your fully prepared for your new baby . You won't be disappointed .

Really depends what kind of panther you're looking for, every breeder has a different variation to offer.
I was looking at fl chams, as they had the best selection I've seen so far, and good prices too. I was looking at a nosy be or ambilobe, mainly for the bright coloration. I'm leaning towards a ambilobe over a nosy be, as they have a larger variety of colors.

I've never ordered from fl chams. Tree candy is my hands down favorite chameleons. They have ambanjas mainly though. Kammers has excellent variety. Matt vanilla gorilla is a great breeder on here, and has a beautiful nosey be. Nothing wrong with FL chams though, but I haven't seen many from them so can't speak for it

I've never ordered from fl chams. Tree candy is my hands down favorite chameleons. They have ambanjas mainly though. Kammers has excellent variety. Matt vanilla gorilla is a great breeder on here, and has a beautiful nosey be. Nothing wrong with FL chams though, but I haven't seen many from them so can't speak for it
I like this one. It has a good mix of red, blue, and yellow.

http://flchams.com/chameleon/ambilobe-panther-chameleons-for-sale-grier-bloodline/

If you want a panther chat with @Matt Vanilla Gorilla . He's amazing , he will make sure your fully prepared for your new baby . You won't be disappointed .
well when I was shopping for mine last March , I look at 4 or 5 businesses. One that was in Florida I couldn't get a hold of by phone. Went on their FB and read that they where in the mits of moving , so I could understand why they didn't answer their phone. But I left messages to call me when they settle in to their new location, but never heard back. Now I'm glad they didn't call back Lol. Cus I found mine on the Kammerflage web site. Great friendly people. They answered all my questions I had at the time ... and many more down the road.LOL

well when I was shopping for mine last March , I look at 4 or 5 businesses. One that was in Florida I couldn't get a hold of by phone. Went on their FB and read that they where in the mits of moving , so I could understand why they didn't answer their phone. But I left messages to call me when they settle in to their new location, but never heard back. Now I'm glad they didn't call back Lol. Cus I found mine on the Kammerflage web site. Great friendly people. They answered all my questions I had at the time ... and many more down the road.LOL
I'll look into Kammerflage

I understand from fishkeeping that it's not always the prettiest site that has the best products, so I'll try to keep an open mind about each one I come across. Although in my experience it's actually been the less appealing sites (as far as looks) that have the rarest and highest quality fish, so I assume the same could possibly apply to chameleons.

That's how I first felt. I saw fl chams and was obsessed, didn't think too much about chameleonsonly .com then once I got a better idea of how chams were I decided kammerflage was among the best. Check out tree candy on Facebook too

That's how I first felt. I saw fl chams and was obsessed, didn't think too much about chameleonsonly .com then once I got a better idea of how chams were I decided kammerflage was among the best. Check out tree candy on Facebook too
just looked at Candy Tree's FB ....nice to see they collaborated with Kammer... the chams came out beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom