New to Reptiles - Considering a Chameleon

fly spikes are pupated maggots, sorry sometimes we forget XD do you know what pupate means (don't mean to make it sound bad just want to go over necessary vocab when I can ^^)
I believe that means they formed a cacoon or something similar.

I believe that means they formed a cacoon or something similar.

Similar yes, pupating just means the stage of transformation. So they can form anything from a cocoon or chrysallis to turn into whatever beetles do... (freaky beautiful things) or do what flies do which is similar to like turning their out skin into hard leather and then transforming inside it... so many other things in the insect world too... absolutely amazing <3

As the title states, I'm considering the reptile hobby.

I currently own 4 aquariums, ranging from 4 to 210 gallons, all of which require daily care, and about 3-4 hours of work each weekend. I understand these aren't the best beginner lizards, but I plan to devote myself to the work that comes with owning a Chameleon, just like how I did with my aquariums.

What should I know before owning one? I understand they're tree dwelling lizards, and they prefer a humid, screen habitat. That's about the extent of my knowledge.

These were the materials I was planning to get. Is there anything else I need? Is this a good kit for a male Veiled Chameleon?

Habitat kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JX4FAVYN&psc=1

Fogger: Amazon.com : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OJII3VEM&psc=1

Chameleons: http://flchams.com/chameleon/premium...leon-for-sale/
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/3...her-chameleons
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/3...her-chameleons

I'm leaning towards the baby panthers because they're much more colorful and only $30 more, but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. Both look good.
Hi, well I'm a 65 year old woman retired from the auto industry have had a lot of pets in my live time, but I got to say I love my Panther Chameleon. He's 8 months old now. he's so cute!! I would like to see you check out your options on breeders though.A lot of good ones out there. As much as I wanted one I took my time reading about them, checked out breeders and took some time for me to design his cage.
As for information it's all right here on this site.
The one thing I keep ...sounding like a broken record is live plants lots of live plants. I do have about 5 or 10% silk but all the rest are live.
I'm amazed with his colors he doesn't disappoint, I'm always seeing new colors and different patterns combinations ..awesome.
What ever you choose you will love him so good luck and let me know and post pictures too(y)

This is my high tech:
View attachment 188114
I have a bit of a snail problem, but there's no reasonable way to get rid of them. More shrimp and fw gobies (an uncommon/rareish fish) are soon to come.

I do a lot of heavily planted freshwater- a couple of assassin snails will eat all the others in a few months.If you don't have them available at your LFS and they can't order them for you check out the prices online and then send me a message if I can mail you some (for free minus postage) cheaper than you can get them online. In my experience 3-4 assassin snails will eat through the worst snail infestation in less than 6 months. They don't cannibalize each other IME and though they will reproduce they do it slowly enough that you could remove them as you see them- most LFS will either be happy to take them (they usually get about $4 each in my area) or give you .25 or so in credit for each one you give them.
I think it would cost me about $10 to priority USPS them anywhere in the continental US. They don't bother my shrimp or anything else.

You could just raise fresh water indian dwarf puffer fish, then you will want to raise snails, things are adorable <3
I used to keep those in my 16 gallon, but the cyanobacteria killed him (look it up, nasty stuff). I already have shrimp, and plan to order more. A puffer would murder them all.

I do a lot of heavily planted freshwater- a couple of assassin snails will eat all the others in a few months.If you don't have them available at your LFS and they can't order them for you check out the prices online and then send me a message if I can mail you some (for free minus postage) cheaper than you can get them online. In my experience 3-4 assassin snails will eat through the worst snail infestation in less than 6 months. They don't cannibalize each other IME and though they will reproduce they do it slowly enough that you could remove them as you see them- most LFS will either be happy to take them (they usually get about $4 each in my area) or give you .25 or so in credit for each one you give them.
I think it would cost me about $10 to priority USPS them anywhere in the continental US. They don't bother my shrimp or anything else.
This was the tank as of yesterday. You can see quite a few snails at the top left back corner. Unfortunately assassin snails wouldn't work well in my tank, as I have two nerites.
fXwIqmROZbUqKdUfr6acWk358RSbYajp6trOQOMtTLEq_znxPFq00SUgRYCgJCqTJSZl8mwUH9VPYefmCJ5ukhArUimpmkUvrSjzrTpbQe5Anv1oqHbErM3JjbuhzoYQvorNCOzAXnU74znh09a_mRLb9pa_Ar0cZhAvMBg5nH_j_nk0CN2K1MkG0BAI9h4yx3JEm1nreGu1vOLKIbYUUz9Jq1BeoB-6mqPAPv_c_smF-1vBh2oM-fj3BkvjsG0a2fIfSgH39TwaZUyVFf82g-t6R-RfNMSYeu9tfyh-mWee_8clWH0wCfPi419yxNnxNWHyUVLDZLjBL_CWHIxCCM8ffu2QkmusRxB87oxZPZHT5flfY-XtOSl2l3ZEmudX18DzmXKPd199Q-b9-5cXkRqDljTbU1Vwd5SxpJCxysUPahhnLeAz0an40cQ3q2wN0N_bkypJnHRNH2pLayy4nEXQs6urPF5U5mFQXmAoz8cDTQ4BaIAZMeh7BD1oXYYf0Z1EIOcofhICuCvse3Qz5WtEmFr9o4Bn50TaZDbda32Gu5m37R9yTjMA0P3-k3iTtlOcNrJMbll81J00k-uHNdbQROq8B-b1DK2hz5g20MLbkDGE961j=w1689-h950-no

58wd95UOAbZ7dvUOHSPBo-iwukeI9euU7n2IDycgVXgciCI7B3TqijGQCFXXg3BmFvg7ON2JxV-fz2WEUx-PZGFhUX2Id2MW_TIzEvfEp9tNK1_HUFvEXZDrP3nSnDdNy6Wm4lIiEtqstDEue1tqYUFXixvszWSqUKChZxoPcHuLqHvAOF4CncmiD3zbBbptNg3QIXSLaGlor_QU6BlsJURo8d7BgKzFmTQQ-leri3RN2DMMClcmUsmBKCA165asxOoAJg3AeZpYh2tB7ew7QNjTtyl7Pr1FSXgx4c4x4t2t4MDSmEH5wgEuuTaNK-QjR5gvsX5s5xaBLIgN9cdwGeSfK-kYGq8-ldW6eiyZVzVFonlRVsC8lHHdKNEnHxayqoWNP1Ba_1VRi2a8uyHVKY9cULuPzfkb7BHCoAuk2w41HKOGOcD5qADUp4lrDPtL5_j1pcMX0poJzmYTvDO8O8n2yPFuAYMW3d9EV-3dWOAwwOII398LGmz8LRJB48i_gQgIN53UHQITzxqKTddyKb597Ym1h9Ya2jfQo9iGWqnYnp0BpLd8eehfpJIRgu88Q0OBKA4l5ViCIfyCnbeBmJbYpMXtRyZxwoQwJ-yW3TZeYZ7h65W3=w1689-h950-no

Back on topic-
@jamest0o0 What materials would I need to keep/breed insects?

How often can/should I handle the cham? Under what circumstances would I be required to remove the Cham from the habitat (other than cleaning)?

@jamest0o0 @Andee @Kristen Wilkins @Monta Thoughts?

@Monta I won't get a cham for another few months (if at all, still have to see how the parents think of it), so pics won't be for a while.
What bugs will you plan on breeding ? Theirs much better bug people than I . @Andee , @jamest0o0 @Matt Vanilla Gorilla @Remkon . way better at bugs then I .

Handling is so controversial . One of our babies is handled regularly and one is not . You have to get to know your baby and really know what he/she tolerates . Build trust then work with them or just get one from @Matt Vanilla Gorilla (y). More keepers don't handle over do . Some chameleon can't handle stress at all . So it would depend what you pick as well .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom