New to Reptiles - Considering a Chameleon

The thing I think people mix up, myself included, getting into chams... is we tend to think oh I can feed crickets and roaches(or whatever insect) and I'm good. But it surprised me, I had to turn into a bug person. Raising healthy chameleons is a constant mission for variety. It's like trying to figure out what you're gunna eat everyday. I've fed prob 10-15 different bugs, all of which were fed different foods. It's cheap or simple maintenance. It's not hard either, I enjoy it, but it was more than I expected

The thing I think people mix up, myself included, getting into chams... is we tend to think oh I can feed crickets and roaches(or whatever insect) and I'm good. But it surprised me, I had to turn into a bug person. Raising healthy chameleons is a constant mission for variety. It's like trying to figure out what you're gunna eat everyday. I've fed prob 10-15 different bugs, all of which were fed different foods. It's cheap or simple maintenance. It's not hard either, I enjoy it, but it was more than I expected
Beyond agreed !!.

I meant to say not cheap or simple* although it is in some cases, usually a lot of trial and error in the beginning, now I'm used to it.

Chameleon keeping is not cheap period.
That's probably one of the things that led me towards it. In my experience in keeping aquariums, the more money you spend, the better life your fish live, and the easier the maintenance is. When I saw that a 40 gallon bearded dragon kit was only $250 I knew something would eventually go wrong.

What materials should I get? I'd like to be able to order everything off amazon at once, which is why I keep pestering you about it (I'm sorry).

That's probably one of the things that led me towards it. In my experience in keeping aquariums, the more money you spend, the better life your fish live, and the easier the maintenance is. When I saw that a 40 gallon bearded dragon kit was only $250 I knew something would eventually go wrong.
Beardies are amazing Creatures . Yes in Theory one would think if you can keep a bearded dragon you can keep a Chameleon . Chameleon are so much more delicate . Their issues arise very quickly compared to a bearded dragon usually don't show until later in life . Beardies are way heartier . Their condos are set up diffant . One could never keep a Chameleon how they keep a beardie. Lighting , and supplements are the same .

I'd recommend getting orange head roaches and banded crickets as staples. Then give hornworms, silkworms, and black soldier fly larvae where possible. I'd allow some BSFL to pupate, along with waxworms and blue bottlefly spikes. That way you can feed flyers which is excellent enrichment for your chameleon. I wouldn't limit feeding to just this... but that's what I would aim to provide at the least on a weekly basis.

I'd recommend getting orange head roaches and banded crickets as staples. Then give hornworms, silkworms, and black soldier fly larvae where possible. I'd allow some BSFL to pupate, along with waxworms and blue bottlefly spikes. That way you can feed flyers which is excellent enrichment for your chameleon. I wouldn't limit feeding to just this... but that's what I would aim to provide at the least on a weekly basis.
Excellent reference ;) .

However most of that most people don't raise themselves and instead order. Roaches and the crickets and usually worth raising yourself for only one or two chams. Also super worms are easy to raise. I feed them and move in some players regularly, otherwise they do all the work themselves with my set up. I plan to raise about... Half of what James mentioned besides the one in there I already raise. But I take my time with new colonies I don't want to rush and make the colonies crash

However most of that most people don't raise themselves and instead order. Roaches and the crickets and usually worth raising yourself for only one or two chams. Also super worms are easy to raise. I feed them and move in some players regularly, otherwise they do all the work themselves with my set up. I plan to raise about... Half of what James mentioned besides the one in there I already raise. But I take my time with new colonies I don't want to rush and make the colonies crash
Your stick insects are looking beautiful. Wax worms are easy but not a staple . I think silkies are too but take a bit of time or at least mine do . Roaches are easy , supers are easy I have not had luck with hornworms but I believe it's the space .

I am working on getting specific colors out of this generation and healthy molting traits. The five hokdbacks I am focusing on have had very few issues with molting and if they do they only lose one leg and grow it back quickly I want them to be harder in the long run

I am working on getting specific colors out of this generation and healthy molting traits. The five hokdbacks I am focusing on have had very few issues with molting and if they do they only lose one leg and grow it back quickly I want them to be harder in the long run
The colors look wonderful I'm assuming it was taken by phone ? That's awesome sounds that they are already harder then most . Well done !!.

What supplies do I need to keep those?

Back
Top Bottom