New to Reptiles - Considering a Chameleon

Confused what you're saying, but panthers males tend to be expensive as far as chameleons go. I don't have a problem with llreptiles, but I wouldn't buy an animal from them.
I was trying to say that I would like a panther for the color, but buying a female defeats the purpose. I only want to buy one if the sex is guarenteed.

I was trying to say that I would like a panther for the color, but buying a female defeats the purpose. I only want to buy one if the sex is guarenteed.

A few members/sponsors here sell their baby chameleons when their ready to go approx. 4 mo +/-. You can check in the forums/sponsor page on who's got what right now. Cost is substantially more for a panther vs. a veiled. Depends on what you want. Plenty of info here to research each species and make that call. For what it's worth, their somewhat similar in husbandry and set up. My veiled is spirited, but once I mastered his behavioral characteristics and earned his trust, it was as easy as I wanted it to be. We get along quite well, but that's any animal, including us. Everyone has their individuality.

As an aquarium geek myself, I know how expensive that hobby can be... and so are chams! Prepare for a bit of an investment while getting set up, but doing it right the first time will save you money and heartache later. Like others stated, definitely spring for the mist king. I would lose the substrate or go bioactive. It might be easier to just go bare bottom first and switch to bio active later(if that interests you)after you get your basic husbandry skills down. (That's what I plan to do anyway) Also, check out the fixtures at Light Your Reptiles. They have some really nice fixtures. If your not sure what you really need after you see all the options available, talk to Todd. I hear he is great to deal with. I did a ton of research before I decided to commit to a cham and most of my info came from this forum. The people on this site will not steer you wrong. A LOT of great folks that are always willing to help. Good luck with your cham! On another note, I still keep both fresh and saltwater setups so I can appreciate that planted tank. Nice work.

As an aquarium geek myself, I know how expensive that hobby can be... and so are chams! Prepare for a bit of an investment while getting set up, but doing it right the first time will save you money and heartache later. Like others stated, definitely spring for the mist king. I would lose the substrate or go bioactive. It might be easier to just go bare bottom first and switch to bio active later(if that interests you)after you get your basic husbandry skills down. (That's what I plan to do anyway) Also, check out the fixtures at Light Your Reptiles. They have some really nice fixtures. If your not sure what you really need after you see all the options available, talk to Todd. I hear he is great to deal with. I did a ton of research before I decided to commit to a cham and most of my info came from this forum. The people on this site will not steer you wrong. A LOT of great folks that are always willing to help. Good luck with your cham! On another note, I still keep both fresh and saltwater setups so I can appreciate that planted tank. Nice work.
When I first started looking into Chams I thought, damn these are cheap. I figured I would be dishing out $700 just like with a medium quality aquarium before the fish, but for high quality materials the setup is only about $400. Even the high tech planted tank I built was $150, and it's only a 16 gallon. I see how you guys can keep so many of these with how much cheaper their setups are.

Unless you heavily plant the enclosure you won't need a 10.0 uvb bulb and the ceramic heat emitter is one necessary if your house gets below 55 degrees at night. During the day use a regular incandescent bulb for basking.

Ask Todd @Venutus1 For lighting help, he's the man For that.

I would say Chams set ups are similar to aquariums with money... you can have a simplified screen cage, light, branches, plant, chameleon... or you can have a high tech system with different kinds of lights, controllers, exotic plants, bioactive ecosystem, living walls, variety feeders(should have these anyway) etc. I'd say the most money is spent on the maintenance and that's where people are caught off guard. I spend a lot on different feeders and water every month. That adds up... plus vet bills. I'd count on spending around a grand even if you are careful with spending. This is a big reason why veileds suffer, a $40 animal requires almost a thousand dollars in equipment...

I tend to make everything complicated in my enclosures which ends in me blowing tons of money lol

Ask Todd @Venutus1 For lighting help, he's the man For that.

I would say Chams set ups are similar to aquariums with money... you can have a simplified screen cage, light, branches, plant, chameleon... or you can have a high tech system with different kinds of lights, controllers, exotic plants, bioactive ecosystem, living walls, variety feeders(should have these anyway) etc. I'd say the most money is spent on the maintenance and that's where people are caught off guard. I spend a lot on different feeders and water every month. That adds up... plus vet bills. I'd count on spending around a grand even if you are careful with spending. This is a big reason why veileds suffer, a $40 animal requires almost a thousand dollars in equipment...

I tend to make everything complicated in my enclosures which ends in me blowing tons of money lol
Hell, that's about what my 16g costed. I think I spent about $1200-1400 after buying all the materials, chemicals, fish and shrimp.

The goal here is not to spend that much again...

Yeah I get that, im saying, that's about the minimal... for one animal, fish tanks you can keep adding to if you want, but it's not necessary unless you want to go all out. Chams need that to survive generally speaking. Trust me I know fish tanks, I spent probably 2-3 grand on a nano reef 8g lol...

Yeah I get that, im saying, that's about the minimal... for one animal, fish tanks you can keep adding to if you want, but it's not necessary unless you want to go all out. Chams need that to survive generally speaking. Trust me I know fish tanks, I spent probably 2-3 grand on a nano reef 8g lol...
That's why I haven't gone saltwater yet...

@jamest0o0 @Nursemaia @Kristen Wilkins @Scottsquatch @listen2justin @Graves923

What materials do I need for feeders? Can I keep multiple species together? i.e. crickets and roaches.

That's why I haven't gone saltwater yet...

@jamest0o0 @Nursemaia @Kristen Wilkins @Scottsquatch @listen2justin @Graves923

What materials do I need for feeders? Can I keep multiple species together? i.e. crickets and roaches.
No you can not keep crickets and roaches together . They will eat pretty much the same thing . If you want to go easy and not make your gut load rapashy or cricket crack or on Amazon . If you want to make it greens such as dandelion , Kale , collard greens , mustard greens , endive , sweet potato , Red bell pepper , carrots , zucchini , squash , small amounts of berrys , Apple , melon , fresh cranberries . I add honey , fresh aloe , freshly , lavender , Lavender and some other burns .

You will need a large bin with good air flow egg Crate . You can use cleaner insects . Chart with @Andee , @jamest0o0 , or @Nursemaia if you are Interested In cleaner bugs for bins .

How would I care for a Chameleon when on vacation? I usually go out of town at least two or three times a year for about a week at time. Would I just place in a few bugs and let the Cham go at them while I'm away? I've read that it's not advised to do this, but I can't think of any other way to feed a cham on vacation.

What's going on o_O?

As far as taking care of chams on vacation, if you will be gone for a full week most of us have someone who pops in and checks on our chams. Most importantly is making sure they have water so a reliable auto-mister is 100% needed because then the person only needs to fill the resevoir tank. And then depending on the age of the cham. You put some food in a cup to last hopefully a couple days and then they likely don't need to be fed for the rest of the week if they are old enough.

You can throw a ton of BSFL, fly spikes, etc in the cage that are out of reach. They will pupate and be a steady food source to get through vacations. I still have people check though.

Back
Top Bottom