New chameleon

Hi so I just got a chameleon from my friend and she appears to have MBD it might just be a broken leg but it's on both legs one is worse than the other she can't open it all the way but she can mostly open it I just got her so if there's anything else wrong with her please tell me thank you ( sorry for this thing being like a paragraph )

Attachments

• IMG_3334.JPG
    IMG_3334.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 80
She looks dehydrated as well I would get her to a vet asap or you might loose her sooner than later and it's not pretty when they start to deteriorate. Her eyes are a bit sunk in and those legs look bad. Please take this advice I would hate for you or her to go threw this without medical attention!

She looks dehydrated as well I would get her to a vet asap or you might loose her sooner than later and it's not pretty when they start to deteriorate. Her eyes are a bit sunk in and those legs look bad. Please take this advice I would hate for you or her to go threw this without medical attention!
I scheduled an appointment this morning she has been taking medicine from a syringe but she has been getting better

You may think she's getting better but I'm telling you she doesn't look good AT ALL right now. I commend you for reaching out for help that's great but if she doesn't turn around fast she could die soon. try putting drops of water near her mouth on her nose how does her poop look and what set up do you have for her light etc?

You may think she's getting better but I'm telling you she doesn't look good AT ALL right now. I commend you for reaching out for help that's great but if she doesn't turn around fast she could die soon. try putting drops of water near her mouth on her nose how does her poop look and what set up do you have for her light etc?
I have 2 lamps one blue one and one normal one which makes the all around temp 80 her poop looks normal a few days ago it wasn't normal it looked like rat poop and I will try the water I didn't know it was this serious because when I got it from my friend she looked like this I feel so horrible right now

Don't feel horrible, things happen, and at least you have a vet right now, and you are reaching out for help. Pictures of the enclosure, feces, etc., would be helpful, and please fill out the ask for help form.

Don't feel horrible your doing great by asking for help there are many great people here to give you advice you took her in like this and your doing what you can to help her!

Okay do you have a uvb light? And what size and type of cage is she in? Does or has she ever had supplement? How often and how much and what does she eat?

Please fill out the help form---

Here is what I got:
My Chameleon-
Handling-
Feeding-
Suppplements-
Watering-
Fecal Discription-

Cage:
Cage Type-
Lighting-
Temp-
Humidity-
Plants-
Placement-
Location-

Current Problem-

When the eye is sunken in somewhat like that one is it's not really a true hydration issue. Giving her water to drink as long as she's swallowing it because she's napping it up herself so to speak may help but there's something else going on. I think the back leg is infected because it has that mark on it and is swollen. I would take her to an exotics vet asap.

What kind of medicine is she taking? If she does have an infection. In the leg the medication won't likely cure it because chameleon pus is thick like cottage cheese and antibiotics won't penetrate it to kill it...the infected area needs to be cleaned out properly by a vet.

When the eye is sunken in somewhat like that one is it's not really a true hydration issue. Giving her water to drink as long as she's swallowing it because she's napping it up herself so to speak may help but there's something else going on. I think the back leg is infected because it has that mark on it and is swollen. I would take her to an exotics vet asap.

What kind of medicine is she taking? If she does have an infection. In the leg the medication won't likely cure it because chameleon pus is thick like cottage cheese and antibiotics won't penetrate it to kill it...the infected area needs to be cleaned out properly by a vet.
the vet office in taking her to has vets that specialize in different things like reptiles and luckily there is one that does chameleons and other exotic reptiles and I have an appointment this weekend

The medicine she is taking is an extra calcium thing from a syringe because she has calcium deficiency And it's really helped her stop walking using the side of her back legs now she walks using her feet

The cask area is sunken in a bit. I've never dwelt with infection before, would they clean it out, then administer antibiotics now that the majority of the puss has been cleaned out?

If it's an infection they should clean out the infected area and flush it and may rinse it with an antibiotic solution and then put the chameleon on a wide spectrum antibiotic. They could do a culture and sensitivity test to determine the bacteria involved to make sure the chameleon is in the right antibiotic.

It's good that she's on the calcium and the legs are improving!

Does she have an egglaying bin in her cage? She could be producing eggs too.

Regarding the blue light...I would replace it with one that produces white light....a regular white light household incandescent bulb of an appropriate wattage is fine to use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom