Poorly chameleon??? Please help

Tinkerbell

Hi could anyone help.
I have a beautiful little 4 month old chameleon I had her off a friend when I first had her she was very active eating fine now over the past few days she just lies at the bottom of her enclosure, refusing to eat. And keeps hissing.
I have manged to get her to eat by when she hisses at me dropping a worm In her mouth an she eats it but will not try to catch it. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on please.

Hmm... I've never heard about anything like this!! Is she actually lying down at the bottom of her enclosure? Or is she just on one of the plants at the bottom? How long have you had her? Also, chameleons can be very picky sometimes. They can also go on hunger strikes for days at a time. When I had my baby chameleon, she was very moody and refused to eat right before her shed. Can you please send me a picture of her and her enclosure? Thank you!

I've had her just under 3 weeks
The first week she was fine eating good, basking, moving around then one day I found her on the floor of the enclosure. Cold. Tried putting her back on her branch came back and on the floor of the enclosure again. This started after she sheded. It won't let me upload a picture

Got one

Had to make a hammock under the basking light as she couldn't gold herself up on the branches

Attachments

• 17010365611912163038842830731710.jpg
    17010365611912163038842830731710.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 17010369947824063019174421916658.jpg
    17010369947824063019174421916658.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 29
Hello and welcome! Lets see what we can do to offer you some guidance and support. First things we will need is pictures of your enclosure, please include the lights on the top as well. Pictures of your chameleon and then also if you can fill out this husbandry review form, the more information you can provide the better.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Thank you for sharing a photo. Poor baby girl looks like she has pretty advanced MBD, this can be a a lack of calcium in her diet, vitamin D3 and improper UVB lighting. I would recommend getting your girl ina hospital bin, with MBD her bones will be soft and rubbery and will break easily and she will most likely not be able to eat or move well. I'll attach photos of a hospital bin for you below. This hospital bin is an example by someone on our forums called @Beman who has a lot of knowledge and experience.

Next your girl is going to need to see an exotic vet with chameleon care experience in order to stop the MBD from continuing. I've attached a spreadsheet that contains a list of exotic vets that have been recommended on this forum. Unfortunately your girl is very poorly and will need to see a vet now, this is not something that you can delay.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 3.16.56 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 3.16.56 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A..pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 36
Hi and welcome. I’m so very glad that you’ve found your way here and are wanting some help. I’m afraid your little one is not looking well. She has definite signs of metabolic bone disease (see how her front arm is bent) and I can’t figure out if she’s too thin from being able to see her spine ridge or bloated from looking just puffy. I also wonder about a spot up by her neck being a burn. As @elizaann2 has said, she needs a vet without delay if she is to have any chance of survival. Then you need to get her a proper uvb light immediately…a linear T5 with either Arcadia 6% or ReptiSun 5.0. The vet will most likely prescribe supplements, so we can go from there. Then you’ll need some other enclosure upgrades, but a vet appointment asap is priority.

Got one

Had to make a hammock under the basking light as she couldn't gold herself up on the branches
Okay. So, judging by the Image you provided, she has MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) and this looks like one of the more severe cases. Do you already have an exotic vet set up? Also, it is okay if you have 3 of the sides glass, but you have to have the front be a screen. You have to have at least 4 or 5 live plants, and you should give her some vines too. Make sure the plants are all live, so she can drink off of them when they are being misted, but the vines can be synthetic. This way, little to no bacteria can get in them. We need to do a husbandry check- Do you have misters? A dripper? Heat lamp? UV light? Grow light? What kinds of bugs are you feeding her? These should help:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/

Back
Top Bottom