Chameleon tail looks like it's been bitten

Kmwhite

Good evening,

Hoping someone can help please with something I've just noticed today with my chameleon's tail.

About a quarter of the way up from the tip, there is a chunk of her tail missing. I have applied a betadine solution to it, so that's why the colour in the photo looks weird. There is no blood. I noticed this this evening when checking on her.

She is eating and drinking as normal, humidty and temp are spot on. She appears well in herself, happily climbing in her viv and on me when handling.

Is this a form of tail rot? She's coming up for 4 years old and I've had her since 7 months. Never seen this before. She has just shed but had no issues there.

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231212_200235.jpg
    IMG_20231212_200235.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20231212_200250.jpg
    IMG_20231212_200250.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 28
Hello and welcome! Do you leave any crickets or feeder insects in her enclosure at night? Anything sharp in her enclosure that could hurt her by chance? That does look like a pretty big wound, I would consider taking her to an exotic vet to make sure it doesn't get infected. If you need help finding one, please let us know!

Also, I know you said all your temps and everything is spot on, but there is a lot of inaccurate information about chameleons and their care out there. Knowing that, would you be open to doing a husbandry review?

Hi. What do you think could have bitten her tail? Could it have gotten caught or pinched in her door? Mine often have a part of themselves in the door on the hinge side and I need to be extra careful. Definitely a vet visit is in order here to prevent it from worsening or causing serious issues.

Hello and welcome! Do you leave any crickets or feeder insects in her enclosure at night? Anything sharp in her enclosure that could hurt her by chance? That does look like a pretty big wound, I would consider taking her to an exotic vet to make sure it doesn't get infected. If you need help finding one, please let us know!

Also, I know you said all your temps and everything is spot on, but there is a lot of inaccurate information about chameleons and their care out there. Knowing that, would you be open to doing a husbandry review?
Hello and thank you for the replies.

No crickets and locusts are left overnight. I've gone over her enclosure this morning and there's nothing sharp in there. The glass doors are sliding and she's never caught her tail. She sits back from the doors on one of the branches and there's no opportunity for the to be perched near the doors. I'm really at a loss as to what's happened!

Yes I can do a husbandry review 🙂 The temps are 30°c for her basking spot and the cooler areas are between 23-26°c. She has lots of different levels to go and to hide in. Humidity is around 50%. I most her enclosure twice a day and she has a dripper as well. Please let me know what other information you need.

I live in Somerset, UK and there is an exotic vet about 25 minutes from me so I'll be giving them a call as well.

Because the wound is on her tail and her spinal cord is right there I would get her on antibiotics to prevent any infection from getting into her spine. A wound like this could have come from an infection under her skin breaking open. Keep an eye out for more areas.

I wouldn't continue to use full strength iodine on the wound it can slow healing. To rinse with iodine solution it should look like weak tea. If you want to put an ointment on it Silvidine or a triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporine are good choices.

I'm just waiting on the vet to contact me back.

Would anyone know if this does look like tail rot at all? From what I'm reading it seems more common at the tip of the tail.

Back
Top Bottom