Namaqua Chameleon: Japan

adamkwas

Established Member
Offen I find myself browsing though Japanese Pet-Shop sites, just to see what species are available in Asia.

http://translate.google.ca/translat...blog.jp/m2009-05-01/&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns

At the bottom of the page, there's a picture of a supposed female Namaqua Chameleon in an Exo Terra Terrarium.

I just thought this would be interesting to some people, enjoy!

EDIT: Seems as though there's an issue with the pictures loading; attached are the pictures (they are not mine!!)

Attachments

• c0165803_053095.jpg
    c0165803_053095.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 731
  • c0165803_051444.jpg
    c0165803_051444.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 534
That's sad :/ an exo terra?

Exo terras aren't all bad. They actually work quite well for some of the smaller species, especially if you live in an area with really low humidity. Although it's true I don't know the habitat needs of this species so it could be a bad match for it.

not a problem

That's sad :/ an exo terra?

Aren't they illegal to export/import.

Tilbury says they're widespread; he states they are protected in national reserves in SA and Namibia. By stating this and no more, he means they do not have national protection. Its not a species that's threatened by trade or habitat loss. Trade in the animals while not wise, is not illegal.

Exo terras are not good for this species because of the amount of ground/floor space they require.

Hmm. Well, it's too bad for these little guys. Do you know if anyone has been successful in keeping these yet? From what I understand, all previous attempts did not work out, but I believe some people in Europe are attempting to keep them?

Exo terras are not good for this species because of the amount of ground/floor space they require.

Hmm. Well, it's too bad for these little guys. Do you know if anyone has been successful in keeping these yet? From what I understand, all previous attempts did not work out, but I believe some people in Europe are attempting to keep them?

i personally think a long aquarium well vented from top and escape vents on the side would work swell for one if these guys. the air is very arid an temperatures are unbelievably hot for these guys. unfortunatly, from what i've heard, namaquasis is very hard to captivate. few keepers have had them with brutal fails. from what ive read as well they are illegale export/import. seeing stuff like this saddens me, to one of the posters on this thread, yes, he looks good and healthy, for another week if that. sorry to be a party pooper. awsome species for sure, one of a kind in chamaeleonade but wild catching these saddens my heart

I've heard that they are very specific feeders, feeding on a particular type of beetle indigenous to they range. They also feed on other lizards.

From my understanding of their captive needs, they would need a massive aquarium? I imagine they would need A LOT of floor space (like more than 15 sq feet?) I would probably even say more than just 25 sq feet if Im not way super off. They need room to zoom :)

From my understanding of their captive needs, they would need a massive aquarium? I imagine they would need A LOT of floor space (like more than 15 sq feet?) I would probably even say more than just 25 sq feet if Im not way super off. They need room to zoom :)

very true pssh. they arent aboreal so much floor space would be needed. the best would be a whole backyard in the middle of the arizona dessert in the summer, orr... GEE WILLIKAR! how about its natural habitat?! :rolleyes:

the beatle 2 posts above was talking about is im sure not the only source of feeding to the chameleons that they go for. but a good point that different food may be demanding, on another note, there is surely substitutions to what to feed them. a Horned Devil Lizard only feeds off certain ants in the wild, but keepers have been able to feed off other things like domestic ants and smaller insects. it could work, but all i see is a brutal fail again. jmho

I'm pretty sure they don't eat just one specific kind of beetle. I bet you could feed them other beetles. Maybe super/meal beetles?

They are illegal but thats not the problem here. The problem is the fact that even the biggest exoterra tank is way to small for them...:mad:

The problem is the fact that even the biggest exoterra tank is way to small for them...:mad:

Agreed. It's not the Exo Terra design that's the problem, it's the size.

Anyway, that's not what I was getting at. Just the fact that I am consistently seeing rare WC (only assuming here... :rolleyes:) Calumma and Brookesia species, along with many other rare reptiles, in these Pet Stores worries me.

If you think about it, most people would consider that problem very small. Just saying.

Exo terras aren't all bad. They actually work quite well for some of the smaller species, especially if you live in an area with really low humidity. Although it's true I don't know the habitat needs of this species so it could be a bad match for it.
It is indeed a bad match. There is not enough space...
i personally think a long aquarium well vented from top and escape vents on the side would work swell for one if these guys.=
I have yet to hear of one person ever having success with this species, yet you seem to think you know what you are talking about...

From what I've been told, they need an immense amount of space, warmth, FOG, and quite a bit else I can't recall right now...

Bushes! They need lame shrubbery! :)

Don't they bury themselves too? Or am I just crazy?

It is indeed a bad match. There is not enough space...

I have yet to hear of one person ever having success with this species, yet you seem to think you know what you are talking about...

From what I've been told, they need an immense amount of space, warmth, FOG, and quite a bit else I can't recall right now...

neither have i Syn, and i've stated earlier in the thread that all i have heard from the very few HOBBIEST (not pet owners) who have had the privillage of attempting these species has turned out into a brutal fail.

i agree with every who says they need a vast amount of space, a whole "dessert" room to themselves.

Syn you are right about the fog, warmth and space. in even the hottest desserts, there is commonly always drastic temp drops. the cold from the night mixed with the warmth of morning gives the dessert animals in these harsh climates all the hydration they need. and as a previous post stated, lame bush! lol they do need foliage areas for shade, protection and sleep.

im not at all familiar with these species, but then again not many of us probly arent. this particular species is so hard to care for because not many people have attempted. IMHO if a small amount of the species could be taken and "experimented" (in a good way) on finding out how to properly house these (for hobbiests and zoos) then like everyother chameleon species, success would be found. and when success is found in husbandry, then success can be found in breeding. i love namaquasis, they are friggen awsome and so beautifully unique. i hope a greater understanding of these guys is found, but hope it is a long shot before they LEGALLY introduced to the trade. JMO

Bushes! They need lame shrubbery! :)

Don't they bury themselves too? Or am I just crazy?

PFFT i think youse crazy PSSH lol. actually no, i do not think youre crazy, but i have seen a few small documentaries on the namaquesis, ive never heard of them "burying" themselves in the sand to cool down. but i wouldnt at all eliminate that possibility. tons of dessert animals have adapted themselves to find means of cooler air underground.

Back
Top Bottom