Porcupine dog...

Oh it's definitely real. I've heard horror stories from friends out of state telling me about how their dog was "attacked" by a porcupine. :(

When I was a kid my dog tangled with a porcupine but he only had a couple of dozen quills in his face...and that was bad enough.

My daughter's dog also tangled with a skunk...got the full spray in the face. That was not a pleasant thing either.

No such thing as a porcupine or skunk 'attack'. There is however, defensive behaviour.
Poor porcupines I would have said, dogs need to be leashed near wildlife. :)

Then you were lucky to have wildlife in your yard. Porcupines dont know its your yard, it was probly porcupine territory before it was your yard. Unfortunate for the dogs and the porcupines. No difference, still not an 'attack'. :)

Where I lived when the dog met the porcupine we had skunks, rats, snakes, porcupines, bats and lots of other wildlife visit our yard. Having a pond right next door helped. We also woke up some days with cows in the yard from the neighboring farm. One day my grandfather couldn't open the (solid) wood door to get out of his house and when my Dad went to find out why he found a nice holstein cow sitting on the cement slab/doorstep with her back against the door chewing her cud!

Where I live now (skunk incident) I have possums, raccoons, squirrels, etc. visit the yard and coyotes, foxes, owls, hawks, pileated woodpeckers and even a beaver in the ravine a block away....and deer in the fields near the ravine.

(And you are right...the porcupine and skunk were only defending themselves.)

One day my grandfather couldn't open the (solid) wood door to get out of his house and when my Dad went to find out why he found a nice holstein cow sitting on the cement slab/doorstep with her back against the door chewing her cud!
ROFL, thats one to pass on to the grandkids! :)

When we were kids, my cousin had a dog that not only got a face full of quills but did so repeatedly (farm dog, so outside on the property unattended). He apparently couldn't resist a porcupine and went for them every time, without ever learning.

Back
Top Bottom