Namaqua Chameleon: Japan

I looked it up, they do dig to stay out of the heat.

Groups have been exported legally specifically to see if they could be kept in captivity. Didn't work out. I believe the temperature requirements and food requirements were the most difficult part, but I'm pulling that out of my memory which is not always correct. I'm sure Chris Anderson can chime in.

I looked it up, they do dig to stay out of the heat.

Groups have been exported legally specifically to see if they could be kept in captivity. Didn't work out. I believe the temperature requirements and food requirements were the most difficult part, but I'm pulling that out of my memory which is not always correct. I'm sure Chris Anderson can chime in.
so they are diggers too! soo cool! pssh, did you come across ambient day time temperatures in this region where they come from? i believe i heard the documentary say it was the hottest dessert on earth :eek:

It's too unfortunate they are so hard to take care of, they are certainly an interesting species.

Although I'd like to see them in the trade, I think it would need far too much trial and error to find any way to keep them. IMO these are one of the species that should stay in the wild.
110% amen for that Syn. i would love to see them in the trade but as i stated before, i hope it is a long shot before they are legaly available, and since they've tried that before, i dont see any legalization happening again for a very long time.

No, but I'm sure you could look up the temperatures in the South Africa as well as the coast of Namibia.

ok ok ok, enough with the bashing on ppl trying to keep these chameleons in captivity. regardless of how many ppl have failed, just remember the chameleons we keep today werent all born in capativity. so if u feel strongly enough about the subject why dont u release your chams back into there natural environment. :) if it wasnt for the ppl that took the chance and did the research for the chams we succesfully keep and breed in captivity we wouldnt have our babies today. just remember life is a cycle and we're only human. we learn what we can. its not like they are endangered yet. so give it time and im sure a succes story will creep out somewhere. no offense to anyone and not trying to start a back and forth no, yes, no, yes. just saying.

I don't see the problems in keeping them if sb meet the special requirements. Breeders and keepers in the past have killed nearly every "chameleonmaterial" they got. We talk about Bradypodions (which can be breed in multiple generations in no time), tons of parsoniis (they can live over 10 years without problems), many Furcifer species etc.
The average level of chameleon keeping nowadays is so much higher than it was 10 or 15 years ago.

ok ok ok, enough with the bashing on ppl trying to keep these chameleons in captivity. regardless of how many ppl have failed, just remember the chameleons we keep today werent all born in capativity. so if u feel strongly enough about the subject why dont u release your chams back into there natural environment. :) if it wasnt for the ppl that took the chance and did the research for the chams we succesfully keep and breed in captivity we wouldnt have our babies today. just remember life is a cycle and we're only human. we learn what we can. its not like they are endangered yet. so give it time and im sure a succes story will creep out somewhere. no offense to anyone and not trying to start a back and forth no, yes, no, yes. just saying.

manik, i dont know where you base "they are not endangered yet" information? IMHO, we cannot keep giving chances to human error when dealing with something nature can do so easily. are you saying that its ok to be greedy and comfortably kill endangered and rarrer animals until we get it right? we absolutely do NOT need every chameleon available to us. i do agree that humans have came a hell of a long way captivating chameleons, but there are clearly species that shouldnt and arent meant to be away from the wild.

manik this isnt a stab at you and im not running you down or trying to be mean and rude, honestly. i just have to disagree with you on what you said, while others may strongly agree with you :) this is just my opinion and hopefully others agree with me aswell :)

I don't see the problems in keeping them if sb meet the special requirements. Breeders and keepers in the past have killed nearly every "chameleonmaterial" they got. We talk about Bradypodions (which can be breed in multiple generations in no time), tons of parsoniis (they can live over 10 years without problems), many Furcifer species etc.
The average level of chameleon keeping nowadays is so much higher than it was 10 or 15 years ago.

hey Benny. just want to chime in a bit on this post. you said "Breeders and keepers in the past have killed nearly every "chameleonmaterial" they got". How long roughly did it take to study the chameleons we have in the trade now and also how long did it take them to "master" husbandry for those species? how many times were those species legal to obtain and then "tested" with, and then how many times were the species band from import/export?

IMHO we do have some very difficult species available to us, but what makes namaqua chameleon so unique and hard to study and care for, is because they are native to one of hottest places on earth, with such limited access, a great majority of the land is undiscovered. i mean.. we know its there, but some areas are almost impossible to set up and research.
with the vasts amounts of available chameleons out there, i really do believe that these species can easily be researched first in the wild, where it is easier to monitor you will get better knowledge of (average temperature rises and drops, humidity levels, diet, breeding) you can do it all. there sclearly just some species of any animal that makes this very hard to do.

so to you saying "i dont see a problem as long as their needs and requirements are met", amen i agree with that too, BUT i strongly disagree that we shouldn't just be able to pick whatever to try and take as many chances and re-dos with it. why would anybody want to risk depleting something that is already very uncommon?

The range of this species includes parts of South Africa, Namibia and Angola and based on the extent of its range, it can be called "widespread". Unfortunately, even though their range is wide, this species is not locally common or abundant, but actually very difficult to find over much of their range. Further, they are protected from export across their range in South Africa, and Namibia and Angola have rarely issued export permits. As far as I am aware, none have been legally exported in a long time.

As mentioned, when this species has been kept legally in the past, offspring were produced but all specimens failed to thrive long. There has been a lot of speculation about why but it seems to be related to the broad range of daily temperatures encountered, the dietary requirements and daily food intake, and the way they drink (morning dew). I have heard reports that they are being kept by a few keepers in Europe at the moment with better results, but I'm not certain of the legal status of these specimens.

Chris

The range of this species includes parts of South Africa, Namibia and Angola and based on the extent of its range, it can be called "widespread". Unfortunately, even though their range is wide, this species is not locally common or abundant, but actually very difficult to find over much of their range. Further, they are protected from export across their range in South Africa, and Namibia and Angola have rarely issued export permits. As far as I am aware, none have been legally exported in a long time.

As mentioned, when this species has been kept legally in the past, offspring were produced but all specimens failed to thrive long. There has been a lot of speculation about why but it seems to be related to the broad range of daily temperatures encountered, the dietary requirements and daily food intake, and the way they drink (morning dew). I have heard reports that they are being kept by a few keepers in Europe at the moment with better results, but I'm not certain of the legal status of these specimens.

Chris

Would anything captive bred and born be legal?

sheesh

manik, i dont know where you base "they are not endangered yet" information? IMHO, we cannot keep giving chances to human error when dealing with something nature can do so easily. are you saying that its ok to be greedy and comfortably kill endangered and rarrer animals until we get it right? we absolutely do NOT need every chameleon available to us. i do agree that humans have came a hell of a long way captivating chameleons, but there are clearly species that shouldnt and arent meant to be away from the wild.

manik this isnt a stab at you and im not running you down or trying to be mean and rude, honestly. i just have to disagree with you on what you said, while others may strongly agree with you :) this is just my opinion and hopefully others agree with me aswell :)

blah blah blah blah. sorry man dont worry i could care less. im not trying to go back and forth with this just saying. ppl died for our freedom, would u go back and tell them not to, cause its not right. no! i know thats no where close to the topic of these chameleons but its an example. but heres one thought, if these chams are really endangered then that means nature is taking its course towards extinction, right? right! but if we as humans can help these chamleons thrive by researching and tryin to recreate an artificial environment that could mean saving this species, then why not try. bada boom bada bing. :D

Manik,

The fact that not all chameleons currently kept in captivity today are captive born or that we wouldn't know what we do know today if it wasn't for people who took the opportunity to work with different species in the past is a weak excuse at best to encourage illegal trade or unsustainable collection know or in the future. Encouraging illegal trade or unsustainable collection under the blind hope that one day a success story may creep out somewhere is similarly weak and short sighted. Finally, there are many reasons that could put a species on a course toward extinction but facilitating that course under the guise of trying to recreate an artificial environment should only be used as a last resort and by professionals.

Chris

im not encouraging any illegal activity at all nor would i support it. and of course it should be handled by professionals if it was ever attempted. i didnt even mention anything about illegal trade just simply that i dont think its wrong if there are already ppl that are tryin have success with the care of this species in captivity. that was all. btw thanks for the "weeeeeaaaaakkkkkk" call outs mr. anderson. no need to go there bud.

If you don't think it's wrong to have illegal animals in captivity, then you are supportive towards illegal keeping. You are supporting it with your words.

Back
Top Bottom