My 1st Panther Chameleon

I could add more shrink film above the panels on both sides . The film is transparent, works well. I have a fogger I modified. Should it run all night?. It has a timer function up to 8hrs. On my previous post where it has "calcium" that is a link to the stuff they recommend.

DSCN0441.JPG

Last edited:
I could add more shrink film above the panels on both sides . The film is transparent, works well. I have a fogger I modified. Should it run all night?. It has a timer function up to 8hrs.

View attachment 232600
Are you using a solarmeter to check your UVB levels at basking?
So my only worry about adding more film is it will get hotter and hold more of the heat as well. You can try it on the top panels on the side and see what you end up with for humidity and temps. Then at least it is easy enough to pull off. No, you do not want to run the fogger all night. I would say from midnight to 5am max. This would be when your house is the coolest and there is no lighting on.

Are you using a solarmeter to check your UVB levels at basking?
So my only worry about adding more film is it will get hotter and hold more of the heat as well. You can try it on the top panels on the side and see what you end up with for humidity and temps. Then at least it is easy enough to pull off. No, you do not want to run the fogger all night. I would say from midnight to 5am max. This would be when your house is the coolest and there is no lighting on.

No, I wouldnt think a meter would be needed. As far as I know the T5 UVB is the best bulb avaible. Only thing I get concerned about are night time temps. Today it was 67f at 6am. I've read anything above 65f is fine. I've noticed Ares doesn't like the fog. He runs from it. Is there any benefit using warm mist?. I thought it might help with temps at night?. This is the unit I got. I removed the top swivel and added a 2" hose to direct it into the cage. I'll figure out a better mounting method for the hose at some point.

DSCN0443.JPG

No, I wouldnt think a meter would be needed. As far as I know the T5 UVB is the best bulb avaible. Only thing I get concerned about are night time temps. Today it was 67f at 6am. I've read anything above 65f is fine. I've noticed Ares doesn't like the fog. He runs from it. Is there any benefit using warm mist?. I thought it might help with temps at night?. This is the unit I got. I removed the top swivel and added a 2" hose to direct it into the cage. I'll figure out a better mounting method for the hose at some point.
Ok you should be concerned about the uvb. So the way the UVB light works... Is the closer to the bulb the higher the UVI level. Once you get about 12-15 inches away there is literally no UVB light provided. This is why typically you will always see T5 fixtures sitting directly on the cage with the highest basking branch at approximately 8 inches from the top screen where the fixture sits. I can pretty much guarantee your cham is not getting any UVB at basking level. Most people that suspend their fixtures have a solarmeter 6.5 to check levels. They have to play with bulb strengths as well. As a 5.0 suspended will do nothing. I highly suggest you look into this more. It is a very big thing to provide the correct UVI level for UVB at basking so they do not develop MBD>

At night it can drop down to 50 degrees F. They need a temp drop so you are fine at 65 F. Basking you only want to be about 82 for a Panther baby. This will change as he grows. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Absolutely no warm mist fogging or humidifier. Only cool mist. If you run a warm mist your cham will develop a respiratory infection. Fogging should never be done during the day because even when running a cool mist if you add the heat and lights your creating the warm mist which in turn creates a risk for RI. This is why we only utilize fogging at night 12am-5am or 1am-5am. Listen to this podcast. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

I read 12" or less was fine?. I had it at 10" from the T5 to the basking branch. I had raised the light to take pics so everything could be seen. It's not possible for the T5 fixture and the basking light to be in the same area with both flushh on top. There would need to be separate areas for ea light. Also the misting head sites on top of the cage so the T5 could not go lower than 6" from the top. To be honest I didn't like the way it looked using rope ratchets hanging, Looked messy to me. I redid the top this is what it look's like now. I hot glued the hose to the side with stress relife cable. I had to put the T5 all the way back sits on top now and move the basking light up front , added another branch under the Basking light and relocate the misting head to front middle. I took Ares out for a min while I was moving stuff. I think it looks like he is gonna be green/Teal.
DSCN0453.JPG
DSCN0454.JPG
DSCN0451.JPG

I attached a pic of the Sire and the dams sire. Is Dam sire is the off spring on the mothers side?
Bakaina_-_1_bb4adfd1-5681-4420-8ad3-24e14be1291e.jpg
Mivonto-baba_-_800_px_-_1_large.jpg

Last edited:
I read 12" or less was fine?. I had it at 10" from the T5 to the basking branch. I had raised the light to take pics so everything could be seen. It's not possible for the T5 fixture and the basking light to be in the same area with both flushh on top. There would need to be separate areas for ea light. Also the misting head sites on top of the cage so the T5 could not go lower than 6" from the top. To be honest I didn't like the way it looked using rope ratchets hanging, Looked messy to me. I redid the top this is what it look's like now. I hot glued the hose to the side with stress relife cable. I had to put the T5 all the way back sits on top now and move the basking light up front , added another branch under the Basking light and relocate the misting head to front middle. I took Ares out for a min while I was moving stuff. I think it looks like he is gonna be green/Teal.

So with UVB this is one of those the only way to know for sure is to either have a solarmeter 6.5 or be able to mimic someone else's set up exactly. But it has to be the same fixture, bulbs, cage, branch levels etc.

You may want to consider installing the misting head in the corner on the inside of the enclosure so your not taking up space on top.

For basking you can do something like this and mount it with screws to the cage. Use a clamp lamp to create the angle for the light to go more to where the uvb is hitting. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007D1BUJY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my set up my uvb bulb is in the back position closest to the heat fixture. This way where the heat is directed is also where the uvb is. They get warmth and uvb while basking.

Here is mine.
lighting3.JPG lighting1.JPG

I was curious what the temps are under the T5 , I'm getting 100f right under it. I will check what the temp is on he branch tomorrow. Ares is stress from all the commotion. He is basking under the T5 and has turned dark . I notice he does this to take in more heat.

I was curious what the temps are under the T5 , I'm getting 100f right under it. I will check what the temp is on he branch tomorrow. Ares is stress from all the commotion. He is basking under the T5 and has turned dark . I notice he does this to take in more heat.
T5 will put out heat this is why you want basking level down about 7-8 inches below it. Check temps on the branch to ensure your not baking him :)

I forgot I had some Fluker's Calcium Fortified Cricket Quencher ordered. I guess this will help with calcium as well.

Question, Why does there need to be a basking lamp if the T5 puts out enough heat for that?.
So there is a double edge with this. While the T5 lighting will put out heat it only puts out high enough amount right on the top where the fixture is. If you have them that close then they are going to have way too high of a UVI level. The UVI level decreases as we move away from the light. Too much UVB from the UVI level is just as bad as too little. This is why we provide a heat lamp. This gets the temps to the required levels. There are a ton of ins and outs to heat and lighting. Along with everything else involved lol.

It's good as a water source. That's about it. I offer it only as water source along with fresh veggies, bug burger, and be pollen

That's why I use it. The added calcium shouldn't hurt. I put in Bug Burger and this stuff for the crickets. Will Panthers eat Veggies ?. The temps under the T5 about 8" under it I got 76F. His basking branch is 85F max now. I can adjust the branch to make it hotter later. I ordered that corner bracket and Lamp holder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom