Mouth rot via fly?

kenya

Avid Member
I am chamsitting an acquaintances two veileds (coincidentally the parents of my recent little clutch)

The female had a bit of swelling on her lip and when I looked, there was nothing there. I decided to keep an eye on it. This was last week. Today I was cleaning cages and she gaped at me and this is what I saw:

DSCN9642.jpg

DSCN9645.jpg

DSCN9646.jpg

I freaked out a little and then grabbed a few Q tips. I removed the black thing:

DSCN9651.jpg

DSCN9657.jpg

DSCN9658.jpg

DSCN9659.jpg

DSCN9661.jpg

It is very clearly a fly. I ordered housefly pupae recently as a treat for everyone and they have been hatching out. I am wondering if this fly is the cause of the mouth rot and I just missed it before or if the fly simply filled in the hole after the fact. The spot seems raw and a bit of it is missing almost. It seems like it is producing a small amount of pus. I have dosed the female with Reptaid following this and we will see what happens.

Is there anything else I can do? What kind of antibiotic would help? Any type of ointment? It seems very early on and she still eats and drinks fine.

It is very clearly a fly. I ordered housefly pupae recently as a treat for everyone and they have been hatching out. I am wondering if this fly is the cause of the mouth rot and I just missed it before or if the fly simply filled in the hole after the fact. The spot seems raw and a bit of it is missing almost. It seems like it is producing a small amount of pus. I have dosed the female with Reptaid following this and we will see what happens.

Is there anything else I can do? What kind of antibiotic would help? Any type of ointment? It seems very early on and she still eats and drinks fine.

that seems to be a more plausible scenario.
mouth rot has many possible causes.
You need a vet to do some culture on the pus to get the correct antibiotic treatment.

Good thing that you seem to spot the problem pretty early on.
So, the sooner you treat the cham the better.
Stomatitis can recur again and again until the main problem is fixed; hence the association as secondary infection.

Keep it rinsed and clean. That is an infection and will need antibiotics so a vet trip is necessary.This is treatable because it was caught early. Good pics by the way.

I do see a little bit of puss, and is that a hole from where the fly was in the 4th picture, (i wont be much help im just curious XD)

Thanks for the advice, guys! I will call her owner and tell him what is going on and get him to take her to the vet.

In the meantime, how do I keep it rinsed? She isn't a very good drinker for me and is a closet drinker mostly.

Back
Top Bottom