Lily's *NEW* Bioactive Build!

Excited to see the final look! It looks absolutely stunning!

Thank you! :D It's shaping up. Definitely some work to do still, but the big greenhouse is opening up on the 28th and you know I'll be hitting that! Looks like they have some really interesting plants coming up this year, too. Fingers crossed for some good fits!

I'm enjoying the less busy look of this build. I'm not sure how many plants I'll end up adding after all! Some cute little airplants, perhaps. I was sitting and staring at the viv earlier, and decided that it needed more moss, though. So, I spent the evening adding more! Not sure if it'll keep that nice green (especially at the top), but I'm willing to try for it! The cocofibre mats are really helping to keep things nice and humid, and 90% of the moss has been staying moist to the touch for over 10 hours. Even without the doors! It's pretty crazy. Maybe I'll keep them off after all.

Lily is finally shedding properly (the consistent higher humidity seems to be helping), and has been exploring her new digs. She squashed the bejesus out of the wandering jew, and I'm surprised it's bouncing back as well as it has! I havent decided if I'm going to keep it in or not. I'd like a woodier vine - maybe a lipstick of some variety? I'm not sure. It's growing on me, and it almost seems a shame to pull it after everything it's been through! We'll see what I find when I go plant shopping on Sunday. I'd like something that drapes nicely; the wandering jew is currently very stubborn and reaching for the light!

And speaking of plant shopping - any suggestions? My lighting isn't the best (currently running 2 6400k SunBlasters; might pick up a spot LED), and I'd like to stay with a more forest-y theme. :unsure:

20200224_213246.jpg

20200224_213350.jpg

20200224_213409.jpg

I missed the amazing PU foam "scaping" you did with the sides of Kismet's enclosure but I have to admit, this looks amazing! I'm planning to purchase a new 60x45x90 glass terrarium soon and will definitely use this as some inspiration for my next build.

And speaking of plant shopping - any suggestions? My lighting isn't the best (currently running 2 6400k SunBlasters; might pick up a spot LED), and I'd like to stay with a more forest-y theme. :unsure:

Some vining plants can still have nice, full foliage. I really like horsehead philodendron lately, because it grows super quick, it will climb, its stem is very thick and sturdy, and the leaves fill out nicely. They usually climb tree trunks so they look forresty to me. Monstera Adansonii will climb/vine up a tree, too. Rhaphiadophora Tetrasperma climbs really well, too, but looks a bit more tropical. Lots of philodendrons and pothos will climb that wall but fill in like a plant climbing a tree trunk.

The google photos for horsehead philos don't do them justice. People grow them as bushes to look full but thtey really like to climb. Let me see if I can find a good one.

This is a Monstera species... looks like adansonii but there are a few variations. It willb e much smaller leaves... they only get huge like that growing wild.

4ac3bc6ab3dc3a2bec81c4a8a11f93bb.jpg

This isn't horsehead but probably philodendrons... growing up the trees. I love their look, personally!

4455206498_09f922fc8b_b.jpg

The google photos for horsehead philos don't do them justice. People grow them as bushes to look full but thtey really like to climb. Let me see if I can find a good one.

I could definitely get a nice adansonii this weekend for the top of the log. They'll for sure have those! I do love their growth habits and fenestrated leaves. Good idea, thank you! :D

Maybe I'll get a small nerve plant or a couple polkadots for the bottom, for just a hint of color. :unsure:

The little sugarvines on the side will (hopefully!) almost completely cover the sides given time.

I missed the amazing PU foam "scaping" you did with the sides of Kismet's enclosure but I have to admit, this looks amazing! I'm planning to purchase a new 60x45x90 glass terrarium soon and will definitely use this as some inspiration for my next build.

Thanks! :D it's getting there. This was somewhat of an experimental build - I have a much better feel for the cocofibre mats now, and will alter my approach somewhat the next time (and you know there'll be a next time, haha!). I have some interesting texture ideas percolating on the back burner!

I'm considering a partial redo of Kismet's cage, actually. There are some parts that I really want to fix - namely the pot sizes in the back. 4" is way too small to do much with, and it's very frustrating! It might not be readily doable, though. Hm. Ah well, I have a list of changes I'd like to make regardless! I have a few spots I want to patch, moss i want to reapply (if Lily's stays nice), and a plant overhaul planned. Might add some more cork while I'm at it, since I have extra. Hmmmm! :unsure: it'll be my spring/summer project, I think!

Back
Top Bottom