Lily's *NEW* Bioactive Build!

Well, I haven't exactly gotten much work done on the build today. I gave the background some more dimension here and there on the cured bits, got busy running errands, and was then informed that a pair of young entrepreneurs have opened up shop and are looking to get in a bunch of bioactive supplies. So, I immediately headed that way and had a long chat. They're wonderful, and are really wanting to push the hobby forward! I gave them my contact info, recommended a bunch of supplies to bring in when they asked, and otherwise had a blast. Got a bunch of really nice cork pieces, ordered a bunch of things (they're bringing in Arcadia stuff! I'm so excited!! :D), and am really thrilled in general.

My favorite "log" that I'm hoping to incorporate. Maybe toward the bottom center, once I add substrate? :unsure:

20200207_173150.jpg

Gonna trim up the end and have it coming put the wall, perhaps.

20200207_173242.jpg

Thinking I'll attach it onto the big feature wood, toward the top.

20200207_173251.jpg

Also purchase some flats. Can't wait to get home and play!! I have a lot of trimming to do tonight.

Yo Canada get down to Cali and build all my cages. I’ll pay you in food and boarding :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I mean, if you pay for my plane ticket and cover my pet boarding fees you might have a deal! :p For real though- too bad you weren't closer! I'd make you some custom pieces at material (and snack) cost. :love:

I see, don’t invite me to build enclosures... Fine, it’s because I’m a moderator, I get it. Besides, mine take too long to build. And I eat too much...

You can come up to Canada and build ME a furniture frame, if you'd like! I have no skill with woodworking :LOL:
That’s it?! Here I’ve been thinking you need to set up some sort of aquarium pump system and it’s just a simple siphon! Man! Do I feel dumb. I just got one like that for my turtles. Ok, one less excuse not to make my chams bioactive.

That's me - making bioactive more accessible one day at time! :p

Do they have a website? And do they deliver? This (with the help of the forum) could be big one day!

It's Canadian based, and I'm not sure if they deal with the US right now. They do ship across Canada, though, and have a pretty high demand for their isopods! Actually not sure if they have a website, but they have a FB page.

Lake Country Pet (BC) for those interested! They're small, but have a growing following. I'm very interested to see how they get on!

Had some issues with this new can of spray foam over expanding, so I'll trim it up tomorrow. Got my cocofibre mat in place as well, though they'll need some touch up a little later on - didn't consider that the Gorilla Glue would expand through the thinner parts of the mat! Ah well, easy fix - and much much less labor intensive than a strict foam background. Will definitely be playing with it more in the future! I'm hoping I can get some vining plants trained up it.

Tomorrow I'll finish up with the last bit of foaming and get her trimmed up. Then I just need to find some branches I like, and figure out if I want to add any more cork. I feel like I have sufficient cork, but who knows!

20200208_185302.jpg

Had some issues with this new can of spray foam over expanding, so I'll trim it up tomorrow. Got my cocofibre mat in place as well, though they'll need some touch up a little later on - didn't consider that the Gorilla Glue would expand through the thinner parts of the mat! Ah well, easy fix - and much much less labor intensive than a strict foam background. Will definitely be playing with it more in the future! I'm hoping I can get some vining plants trained up it.

Tomorrow I'll finish up with the last bit of foaming and get her trimmed up. Then I just need to find some branches I like, and figure out if I want to add any more cork. I feel like I have sufficient cork, but who knows!

View attachment 258197
I’m so sorry I had to DEE12BD0-20A4-456C-BA63-4C18D508A100.jpeg

Just started my practicum at the hospital and am feeling pretty beat up, but I picked up some branches on the walk home. The snow melted just enough for me to find a good chunk of them from a sycamore tree!

I still have carving to do (and cocofibre to affix), but I took a break to play with branches! Unfortunately it's kind of a terrible picture and doesn't capture the depth, but there are a whole lot of walkways in there! Lily seems to prefer smaller branches anyway, so I tried to keep that in mind for the design. Ended up pulling the larger branch I already had in there, cause it just wasn't playing nice with the vision. It's very much a work in progress, but I thought I'd share some of the behind-the-scenes planning!

20200211_183956.jpg

I have a 3 day weekend coming up, so I should be able to finish it up then, hopefully, and fo plant shopping!

Just started my practicum at the hospital and am feeling pretty beat up, but I picked up some branches on the walk home. The snow melted just enough for me to find a good chunk of them from a sycamore tree!

I still have carving to do (and cocofibre to affix), but I took a break to play with branches! Unfortunately it's kind of a terrible picture and doesn't capture the depth, but there are a whole lot of walkways in there! Lily seems to prefer smaller branches anyway, so I tried to keep that in mind for the design. Ended up pulling the larger branch I already had in there, cause it just wasn't playing nice with the vision. It's very much a work in progress, but I thought I'd share some of the behind-the-scenes planning!

View attachment 258409

I have a 3 day weekend coming up, so I should be able to finish it up then, hopefully, and fo plant shopping!
Awww did you put socks on because of me :(

Beautiful cage as always :love:

View attachment 258409

This looks like the beginnings of a fantastic Halloween decoration, complete with murder weapons. You just need to apply a bit of blood splatter. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Awww did you put socks on because of me :(

Beautiful cage as always :love:

Gotta keep an air of mystery about me! I'll humor your foot fetish later. ;) :LOL: (you can usually tell how long I've been home by the presence or lack thereof of socks, lol!)

This looks like the beginnings of a fantastic Halloween decoration, complete with murder weapons. You just need to apply a bit of blood splatter. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Done! :hilarious:

20200215_125829.jpg

Started collecting some plants. Hopefully I can get this build done by the end of Monday! Gonna drop these babies off at home and hit up the other greenhouse.

1 varigated green wandering jew, and 3 sugar vines (small leaf virginia creepers). The initial thought is to have the wandering jew on top of the "tree" draping down, and train these creepers up the cocofibre mats on the sides. I have a small Korean rock fern that I can put in the shorter stump, and then I'd like some plants for the back/foreground and maybe a couple epiphytes. I haven't decided! I'd like to keep to a more green color palette and focus on textures, add a couple color pops to the foreground perhaps. Maybe some nerve plants, or polkadots? Hmm!

20200215_123338.jpg

Finessed it a little, and I'm more or less happy with it. I could keep on carving, but realistically most of it will be covered in plants anyway! I was hoping to get the cocofibre on today, but the bird wants to sleep so it might not happen. Ah well. I'll see if she allows it once she settles down for the night/I finish that report that's due at midnight. With a bit of luck, Monty won't fuss and I can work on branches tomorrow!

20200215_200210.jpg

Finessed it a little, and I'm more or less happy with it. I could keep on carving, but realistically most of it will be covered in plants anyway! I was hoping to get the cocofibre on today, but the bird wants to sleep so it might not happen. Ah well. I'll see if she allows it once she settles down for the night/I finish that report that's due at midnight. With a bit of luck, Monty won't fuss and I can work on branches tomorrow!

View attachment 258770
Looks good! Keep it up!

Sadly, Monty (my parrot) decided that I wasn't allowed to finish the cocofibre yesterday. But it's on now, and tomorrow will be branches and decor! I also need to hop to the hardware store and get some PVC cut to size, and pick up soil. Excited to brush off all that excess and see what I'm working with! And now we wait.

(Have some more feet, @JoXie411! :hilarious:)

20200216_183355.jpg

Back
Top Bottom