Lillians not well :(

Dunnigan

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 18x18x30 screen
* Lighting - reptisun 5.0 and a 60x house bulb
* Temperature - ambient in the room in 74ish basking is 82 max
* Humidity - I dont measure umidity in the cages but it never drops below 50 in the room
* Plants - 2 scheff. and a "parlor palm"
* Placement - In my bed room, low traffic, i am in there maybe 3 times a day
* Location - Orlando, Fl

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Female Veiled, 7 or so months old
* Handling - maybe once a month?
* Feeding - 6-10 feeders everyother day. crickets mainly, but supers on occasion.
* Supplements - Plain Calcium - 4 times a week, Multivitimn 2x monthly, d3 2x monthly (and i also use Minerall - O once in a while on her days off, no more than 2x monthly)
* Watering -Mistings 2-5 times a day and a dripper running 75% of the day
* Fecal Description - Solid feces, urates have been slightly yellow
* History - When i first got her (like 3 days after) she wouldent eat and stuff, but came around quickly
* Current Problem - For the past few days she has not been drinking, she has been eating very will tho, i can tell she is becoming dehydrated, her urates are yellowish and her eyes are sunken. This morning i found her on the bottom of the cage, not in a bad way i dont think. She was just cruzin' around down there when she saw me she climbed back up :confused:. She has also been very stressed out. No she cannot see any other animals or mirrors.
I am fairly confident that she is not carrying eggs (could be wrong tho) because she is still eating, hasent shown receptive colors and i cannot feel eggs in there, regardless she is reaching that age and i will be adding one today after work for when the time comes.
Can anyone see something in my husbandry (sometimes you cannot see your own flaws and I understand that) that may be causing her to pace the bottom of the cage and/or not drink? I am making a vet appointment for Thursday or Friday, but i would also like some help from people on here.

Here is picture of her cage

photo-3.jpg

EDIT: I started her on reptaid yesterday, to early to tell if its helping tho.

Last edited:
my cham went through that once, and decided to sit on the bottom of her cage, but shes fine now. she doesnt do it anymore. but my cham was dehydrated, so she would lick water off the floor while she was down there.

Looks like you're doing everything right. Has she had a fecal? Parasites can cause them to stop eating. Post a picture of her when you can. Try longer mistings with very warm water or a shower.

Would you post some pics of her?

I do not see a laying bin in her cage. She could be gravid with an infertile clutch.

Looks like you're doing everything right. Has she had a fecal? Parasites can cause them to stop eating. Post a picture of her when you can. Try longer mistings with very warm water or a shower.

I agree, A shower may be a good way to get her hydrated.

I am fairly confident that she is not carrying eggs (could be wrong tho) because she is still eating, hasent shown receptive colors and i cannot feel eggs in there, regardless she is reaching that age and i will be adding one today after work for when the time comes.

Ill take a picture of her later, i was running late for work and all i could do was snap a quick pic of the cage.

You said..."I am fairly confident that she is not carrying eggs (could be wrong tho) because she is still eating, hasent shown receptive colors and i cannot feel eggs in there, regardless she is reaching that age and i will be adding one today after work for when the time comes."....sounds to me like she's looking for a place to lay eggs. I always recommend that people put a suitable container of washed playsand into any egglaying female's cage once she is sexually mature. Failure to provide a suitable place leads to egg binding...is it really worth the risk not to have a suitable place there all the time?? There is a window of time during which she will be able to lay the eggs. Once she passes that few days its usually too late.

sounds to me like she's looking for a place to lay eggs. I always recommend that people put a suitable container of washed playsand into any egglaying female's cage once she is sexually mature. Failure to provide a suitable place leads to egg binding...is it really worth the risk not to have a suitable place there all the time?? There is a window of time during which she will be able to lay the eggs. Once she passes that few days its usually too late.

I agree, but the whole still eating like a pig thing threw me off, and i do understand the importance of a egg laying bin, I am off to the walmart to buy something of a suitable size and to pick up some Playsand.

It just seems odd that she is not drinking, for the past two days i have had the dripper on all day and have been misting like 5 times a day and she still does not seem to be drinking :(

All that i have read says that when a female is going to be laying eggs she starts drinking a lot?

I'm concerned that her eyes are sunken in. You are right...if she's near egglaying time she should be drinking quite a lot.

The Egg laying bin is in there, zero interest so far.

She is also eating still. (This is how i am administering the reptaid) If she was going to be laying would she have gone off food?

Some stop/slow down on the eating when they get close to egglaying time....some don't.

Ahhh 10-4 on that one! Ill give her some time with the bin, ill continue the heavy mistings.

Her grip is still strong and she still navigates the cages very well, she still wanders up to her basking spot every now and then. Hopefully it is just eggs and hopefully i got the bin in there before it is too late.

I can make it happen, we will see when the good doctor has an opening. I was planning on going any way tomorrow or friday.

Back
Top Bottom