Acting receptive, now she’s normal again?

Throwingstones

Avid Member
Not that long ago (end of December) my girl was acting crazy like she was receptive again. She is normal acting now. Pudgy like she has eggs in her. This would be her second clutch. I haven’t changed her feedings, currently 3 large dubia every other day, calcium every time and multi every two weeks. Temps have been running in the 70s. No changes with poop, eating and moving around fine.
What does it mean?
Also should I maybe stir up her lay in a little with a fork or something? I haven’t done anything with it since I took out her last clutch.

I was thinking that if she can eat the hornworm moth that one time she could probably eat that size dubias😂 she doesn’t seem to have trouble.

Not sure exactly what the concern is. It sounds like you’re questioning why she’s acting normal. Normal is good. :) The receptive period does eventually end after however long (usually a few weeks). Things are normal and fine until she’s getting close to laying, which can happen as soon as about 30 days after being receptive ends. Or, the diet regimen may be working so very well that she’ll have receptive periods but never produce or lay eggs. My girls even would/will gain weight and look a bit lumpy but then slimmed down again. After about a year of that, it was even hard to tell if they were receptive or not. I only have Stella now and I’ve given up on trying to figure out if she’s gravid or receptive or what. She gains weight and a couple of times has even had her gravid coloring, but hasn’t laid in two years now. It is nerve wracking at first. Be ready with the lay bin and everything in case she does lay eggs. The main thing to do is monitor for any signs of distress - not basking, staying low in the enclosure, lethargy, eyes closed, digging and stopping, dropping eggs randomly, blood from anywhere, straining as though to poo, not eating/drinking and anything else that just isn’t right for your girl.
I would freshen up the lay bin by turning the sand and making sure it’s moist throughout. I’d also suggest smaller feeders like mediums and maybe give an extra one or two. Boy or girl, adding variety of feeders is always best. Hope I’ve answered your question.

Not sure exactly what the concern is. It sounds like you’re questioning why she’s acting normal. Normal is good. :) The receptive period does eventually end after however long (usually a few weeks). Things are normal and fine until she’s getting close to laying, which can happen as soon as about 30 days after being receptive ends. Or, the diet regimen may be working so very well that she’ll have receptive periods but never produce or lay eggs. My girls even would/will gain weight and look a bit lumpy but then slimmed down again. After about a year of that, it was even hard to tell if they were receptive or not. I only have Stella now and I’ve given up on trying to figure out if she’s gravid or receptive or what. She gains weight and a couple of times has even had her gravid coloring, but hasn’t laid in two years now. It is nerve wracking at first. Be ready with the lay bin and everything in case she does lay eggs. The main thing to do is monitor for any signs of distress - not basking, staying low in the enclosure, lethargy, eyes closed, digging and stopping, dropping eggs randomly, blood from anywhere, straining as though to poo, not eating/drinking and anything else that just isn’t right for your girl.
I would freshen up the lay bin by turning the sand and making sure it’s moist throughout. I’d also suggest smaller feeders like mediums and maybe give an extra one or two. Boy or girl, adding variety of feeders is always best. Hope I’ve answered your question.
Thank you! I feel like last time she acted crazy all the way until she laid.
I’ll start getting the smaller feeders for her, next month I plan on cutting her back on a feeding because she will be about 1yr I think.
Should I keep the cover half on for a few more weeks? I logged that she started changing colors and being weird on December 26th, so it’s already been a month. Her lay bin is in the back and semi covered with foliage.

Agree with @MissSkittles she ended her receptive phase and is now creating her eggs to lay them, normally this takes between 30-40days. The first time they can act differently than the following ones, because it’s also new for them. She will be starting to get restless again in search for a good laying spot. My girl is just started her 9th receptive phase 😢

Agree with @MissSkittles she ended her receptive phase and is now creating her eggs to lay them, normally this takes between 30-40days. The first time they can act differently than the following ones, because it’s also new for them. She will be starting to get restless again in search for a good laying spot. My girl is just started her 9th receptive phase 😢
Last time I did have plans to move her enclosure. Maybe I need to start planning to do that and she will lay again😂

Back
Top Bottom