LED UVB bulbs?

Lunatuck

Established Member
I've recently read an article about various UV range LEDs. They were shown to be very effective in stimulating vitamin D production in both humans and mice. It seems the technology is using gallium nitride to give the bulbs a peak in the various UV ranges. The same technology is used to cure adhesives, but in a different wavelength.

So, have any of these hit the market for reptile keepers? Does anyone have any experience? When I was reefkeeping 15 years ago, some friends were building their own DIY LED arrays. It was crazy, but they were better. They changed the market. Is it here? Is it coming?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-11362-2

I must search for these every week to no avail; please let me know if you find them.

I must search for these every week to no avail; please let me know if you find them.

FTA, but need to build the array....

Equipment
Four LEDs with different peak wavelengths, 293, 295, 298, and 305 nm, were used in this study (Fig. 1).The 293 nm LED was obtained from RayVio (Hayward, CA, USA), 295 nm and 305 nm was from Sensor Electronic Technology, Inc (SETi, Columbia, SC, USA), and 298 nm was from DOWA Electronic Materials Company, Ltd (Chiyoda-Ku, Tokyo, Japan). The LEDs were powered with a power supply (supplied by RayVio) set to 50 V and 10 mA for all the experiments. The energy output of each LED was measured using a UVB meter, Solarmeter (Solar Light Company, Inc, Glenside, PA). This meter estimates the output in terms of Minimal Erythemal Dose (MED) per hour which is equivalent to 15.6 mJ/cm2/hr.

I don't know an answer, but would be very cool. I'd imagine it'd be easier to ramp them up and down which I think would be very beneficial for reptiles. I remember when MH was always used for reef keeping. I haven't been in the hobby for years, but seems LEDs have taken over. I have a leftover par38(i think that's what it is) bulb I used for a nano probably 5-6years ago. Really liked it, would be cool to see what they could do with uvb and such.

I was wondering bout LEDS aswell. My thoughts where, they are bad for human eyes, wouldnt that be the same for chameleons?

Back
Top Bottom