The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know

So the general consensus of opinion seems to be that a metal halide fixture would be desirable, but the potential UV output of the Exo Terras is a concern.

There's also a suggestion that the Lucky Reptile bulbs may be a better choice.

I wonder whether you could use an Exo Terra fixture with a Lucky Reptile bulb...

So the general consensus of opinion seems to be that a metal halide fixture would be desirable, but the potential UV output of the Exo Terras is a concern.

There's also a suggestion that the Lucky Reptile bulbs may be a better choice.

I wonder whether you could use an Exo Terra fixture with a Lucky Reptile bulb...

You probably could if you got the smaller lucky reptile bulbs. I have the flood bulb and its way too big for the exo terra fixture. I also have limited experience with metal halide ballasts so once I figure that out I will be able to set up the lucky reptile bulb and test it out. But you do give me a good idea to maybe order the smaller lucky reptile bulb and try that out.

Where do you order Lucky reptile bulbs from Rachelle?

I happened to find 1 bulb on ebay (and he only had 1 bulb). I haven't found a ballast yet and with my limited knowledge of how these things go together I am reluctant to order just any electronic metal halide ballast.

Do the bulbs even have the same base?
Ballasts won't be a problem.

Try Grainger or McMasterCarr

Carl

Try Grainger for a ballast that will fire the wattage of the bulb and you should be set.

Carl

So I am noticing that both my jackson and panther are acting differently since using the sunray bulb. They used to always spend a lot of time in their basking spots and now they either stay away or stay on a much lower level when in the lighted area. My bearded dragon does bask in it more, but I even see him move away from it after a while which is unusual for him as well. I am guessing it is because the UV is way too high. I am going to try laying extra layers of screen under the light to filter it out more and see if that makes a difference.

Could end up being a very expensive failed attempt at trying to give them the best lighting out there.

So I am noticing that both my jackson and panther are acting differently since using the sunray bulb. They used to always spend a lot of time in their basking spots and now they either stay away or stay on a much lower level when in the lighted area. My bearded dragon does bask in it more, but I even see him move away from it after a while which is unusual for him as well. I am guessing it is because the UV is way too high. I am going to try laying extra layers of screen under the light to filter it out more and see if that makes a difference.

Could end up being a very expensive failed attempt at trying to give them the best lighting out there.

Pigglett, how far is their basking spot from the lamp? I ask because over the past month ive noticed that my chameleons will bask under the light more throughout the day since I have changed over. I saw your 6.5 readings in a previous post and was wondering if they were through the screen or straight to the bulb? I just took some reading with my 6.2 and the difference with and without a screen filter is huge. I'm glad more people are getting into these lights so we can get some first hand information about the use of metal halides in chameleon keeping.

I get the readings through the screen. I added some thick pet screen and now get readings more around 4 and 5. However, my bearded dragon is now acting absolutely crazy and acts like he is blind. He hasn't eaten in 2 days and acts like he can't see the food. I let him out and h e runs full speed in to the wall. I put him in front of the mirror and he doesn't even look. so I shut down the sunray and went back to his normal basking light for now to see of he gets better.

Pigglett, how far is their basking spot from the lamp? I ask because over the past month ive noticed that my chameleons will bask under the light more throughout the day since I have changed over. I saw your 6.5 readings in a previous post and was wondering if they were through the screen or straight to the bulb? I just took some reading with my 6.2 and the difference with and without a screen filter is huge. I'm glad more people are getting into these lights so we can get some first hand information about the use of metal halides in chameleon keeping.

From the bulb to the spot where their body starts on the branch is about 9 inches. When I am able to get the area far enough away or covered with enough screen to get UVs in a safe range, then the basking temp goes down to around 78.

20131118_172703.jpg

20131118_173023.jpg

That sounds terrible, are the readings from his fixture the same as the other?

He has the 50 watt so his readings were higher.

I get the readings through the screen. I added some thick pet screen and now get readings more around 4 and 5. However, my bearded dragon is now acting absolutely crazy and acts like he is blind. He hasn't eaten in 2 days and acts like he can't see the food. I let him out and h e runs full speed in to the wall. I put him in front of the mirror and he doesn't even look.

Holy smokes that sounds bad. I do know that if the MH light bulb is damaged, which can sometimes be barely detectable, that UV burns and blindness can result.

6% or 12% for 1/4" screen

Just wondering some peoples opinions on 12% vs 6% arcadia using 1/4" screen for the top. Cage is approx 48" high and will eventually be densely planted if not dense right from the start. have a pic uploaded at the thread is 2 uv lights too much? of the plants I have so far which still debating if im going to use all.

Was actually told to get dual with a 6% and 12% but i think that is to much so I will do one or the other with a 6500k bulb.

Just wondering some peoples opinions on 12% vs 6% arcadia using 1/4" screen for the top. Cage is approx 48" high and will eventually be densely planted if not dense right from the start. have a pic uploaded at the thread is 2 uv lights too much? of the plants I have so far which still debating if im going to use all.

Was actually told to get dual with a 6% and 12% but i think that is to much so I will do one or the other with a 6500k bulb.

Are you getting the High output or regular?

I went with the 6% with the bigger screening ordered the dual with 2 6% and oredered 3 more bulbs on the side to save one shipping later on when its time for replacements. could get 6500 grow lights locally for 10$.

Now the wait begins, hopefully it isnt a long on with this time of yr.

High Pressure Sodium lights??

I have a 150watt High pressure sodium light used for growing plants indoors i have it on top of my chameleons tank to help the fiscus tree grow a little more then 2 ft tall. Will this harm my chameleons?

Hi =) I had no idea there was so much to be educated on about lighting! I appreciate this thread so much! I am new to chameleons and looking into getting a male ambilobe within the next few weeks. I have read about 15 pages of this thread until my eyes started bleeding about lighting info haha. I can't decide which bulbs to get! and I'm understanding that the top screen should be taken off for maximum UVB exposure, is that correct? I am going to start with a 18x18x36 enclosure for a 5 month old. Any suggestions? actually please suggest!!! =( I feel that lighting is probably one of the most important things to keep a cham helathy and I want to do it right!! thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom