The definitive lighting thread! Everything you really need to know

Oh, and another thing.....I'm trying to figure out where in the house to set my chameleon up. When his lights go off for the night and let's say he's in the living room, will the living room lights affect him? Should he be in a room that is kept completely dark after his lights go off? Can i cover his cage with something to keep the light out?

We have ours in the living room and it doesn't seem to bother him. We just don't keep the main light on and he sleeps like a baby

I have a Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb. It says its a "15 watt T8" But no where does it say how many lumens it produces. I have a baby chameleon in a 18x18x36 reptibreeze enclosure.

I also use a 75 watt infrared heat lamp 24hrs. It keeps his basking area 95 degrees F. He usually relaxes just below that where it is 80-85 degrees F.

2 Questions: 1. Is my compact fluorescent good enough and how many lumens does it produce.
2. Can I use a blue colored heat lamp instead of the infrared? I only want to do this because I like the way the blue light looks at night better than the red.

I have a Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb. It says its a "15 watt T8" But no where does it say how many lumens it produces. I have a baby chameleon in a 18x18x36 reptibreeze enclosure.

I also use a 75 watt infrared heat lamp 24hrs. It keeps his basking area 95 degrees F. He usually relaxes just below that where it is 80-85 degrees F.

2 Questions: 1. Is my compact fluorescent good enough and how many lumens does it produce.
2. Can I use a blue colored heat lamp instead of the infrared? I only want to do this because I like the way the blue light looks at night better than the red.

First off you need to ditch the light at night and the infrared all together. Chameleons look for natural light to bask. All you need is a normal house hold light at the right wattage to get a basking spot. You need to look that the care sheets.

Compacts are really not ideal. You need to get a t8/t5 fluorescent tube. Some people use reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 but I'm using a arcadia 12%

Why are you worried about the lumens?

The best was to get more light is to use a 6500k natural sunlight bulb if that's what your trying to achieve

It is a fluorescent tube t8 5.0 UVB. I've replaced the infrared with a ceramic heat emitter. Do you think I should use a basking light instead of the ceramic heat emitter during the day? I really prefer to use a heat source at night because toward the mid to bottom of his cage it is 70 degrees F. He stays where it is 80 degrees when he is sleeping. If he needs it cooler he'll go away from the heater, right?

Is the light necessary during the day or would a ceramic heater be ok?

He can handle temps down to the low 60s at night. It is my experience that they do not seek out the most comfortable temps at night. On the contrary they to curl up and sleep wherever they are when the lights go out. You really do not need a heat source at night. I would use a regular house incandescent during the day for a basking bulb, if for no other reason than it is MUCH cheaper than a ceramic heat emiter and does the job perfectly.

Thanks all for the help.

You think I should return the heat emitter then and just use an incandescent? Or will the heat emitter be ok if I turn it off at night?

Is it harmful to leave the heat emitter on all the time if I choose to keep it? I'm really worried about it getting too cold at night or if I'm not home for a couple days.

The heat emiter will not harm him if used, however, as stated previously, chameleons naturally seek the light for basking, so a light is definitely preferred. You should not use the emiter at night, chameleons need the temp drop at night. He will be healthier and happier for it.

Just out of interest where did you get all your info? You need to read the care sheets on here they are some of if not the best you will find.

Take the heat emittter back. Unless you are planning to keep your cham in an unheated garage over the winter, they are useless. It is not a natural way for them to look for warmth and they need to cool down at night anyway.

Thanks for the help you guys. I got my info from a chameleon care guide from LLL reptiles and then info from the guys at the local reptile island. Most recent info from the care guide on this forum and from you all.

The reptile store and book both say to use a heat emitter 24 7 and UVB fluorescent during the day with optional basking light.

I think I'm leaning toward your advice and the advice of the care guide on this forum. It makes most sense to me and at least I'll be consistent with my care for him.

I'm gonna return the heat emitter. Thanks again all I really appreciate all of your advice!

fantastic thread!!!!

Just read this whole thread! A great rainy day read. Any update on the sunray halide?
It seems a dual t5 6 or 12% arcadia, a 6500k and a halogen for heat is the cream of the crop.
Thoughts?

I have learned very much from this thread!

After reading this thread many times, in the last few months. I have finally decided to take something from it.
-So, I purchased Arcadia bulbs from lightyourreptiles.com Todd is GREAT!

I added a 12% UVB to my old zoomed LED/UVB 24 in fixture.
and a 100W arcadia mercury vapor and 75W arcadia halogen.
(These are the lighting requirements I found on the Arcadia website).

I completely agree with 'chameleopatrick' about a general warm area, instead of a hot spot. My bulbs are 7 inches from the top screen. creating a basking areas (instead of spots) of 100F at its max. My panther chameleon, tends to hang around the top section more now, compared to when it was a hot spot.

My cage is 5 ft tall. with dense live foliage, giving him more than enough spots to avoid the heat and UVB.

I honestly recommend, that everyone use Arcadia products, and LEDs if your going to use live plants.

Has anyone had any experience with ReptileUV and their megaray MV bulbs? I've looked into them in the past, but haven't heard much. They have a lower output bulb for chameleons.

I'm considering using a MV bulb from a distance over several cages. Anyone use them?

Thank you ChameleonUES! and I am glad you like.

:D

When I first started importing and selling Arcadia bulbs in the US 3 + years ago.. (has it been that long now?? wow!)

and I kept telling people about them ....

many said,

"Oh Todd, you just say that because you sell them"... and didn't believe me much.
:eek:
*pull hair out* LOL

But then slowly more and more people and zoos in the US and Canada started to give them a try.

I think many people thought they were some "new" fluke because they had never heard of them in the US....

people didn't realize that
Arcadia HAS BEEN AROUND FOR OVER 50 YEARS in England and Europe offering lighting for reptiles, zoos and aquariums.

Arcadia KNOWs WHAT THEY ARE DOING... and you can bank on it with real results.
:D

I am so glad ChameleonUES your large set up is doing well.
It sounds fantastic.
Feel free to send me pics if you want and we will have Arcadia put them up on their international web-site and the LYR facebook page. ;) This goes for anyone.:)
[email protected]

Cheers!
Todd.

ps.
thanks to everyone who has sent me well wishes- I was under the weather and in the hospital last week,... ugh.
But I am home and doing much better now.
The staff at LYR has done a great job keeping orders going out fast and furious.:D

After reading this thread many times, in the last few months. I have finally decided to take something from it.
-So, I purchased Arcadia bulbs from lightyourreptiles.com Todd is GREAT!

I added a 12% UVB to my old zoomed LED/UVB 24 in fixture.
and a 100W arcadia mercury vapor and 75W arcadia halogen.
(These are the lighting requirements I found on the Arcadia website).

I completely agree with 'chameleopatrick' about a general warm area, instead of a hot spot. My bulbs are 7 inches from the top screen. creating a basking areas (instead of spots) of 100F at its max. My panther chameleon, tends to hang around the top section more now, compared to when it was a hot spot.

My cage is 5 ft tall. with dense live foliage, giving him more than enough spots to avoid the heat and UVB.

I honestly recommend, that everyone use Arcadia products, and LEDs if your going to use live plants.

Just read this whole thread! A great rainy day read. Any update on the sunray halide?
It seems a dual t5 6 or 12% arcadia, a 6500k and a halogen for heat is the cream of the crop.
Thoughts?

Yes, an amazing read. So many answers for any possible lighting question/situation/problem/preference. This thread is a must-read for lighting needs.

Doesn't seem like there has been much chatter about the SunRay setup after 2013, but yet still more recommendations for the Arcadia setup.

After a long trip down the rabbit hole debating whether to purchase the Exo Terra SunRay or the dual T5 Arcadia 6/12% and 6500k, it does seem like the safest (in re having limited experience with lighting), most-used, most-agreed upon choice would be the Arcadia setup. Not to say the SunRay isn't great, for those who are happily using it!

LightYourReptiles will be hearing from me soon!

Thanks, everybody.

Back
Top Bottom