Laying eggs too often?

Dori

Hi. I have a female veiled that I've had for a little over a year and a half.
She seems stressed again the past two weeks so I fear she might be going to lay eggs AGAIN. It's such a hassle for me, especially because now we live in a smaller house so I have to buy an even smaller cage!

She layed her first eggs in around August, and then again during the beginning of December... so this is crazy, I read they usually lay once a year!

I don't think I'm over feeding her because I usually feed her 10 large crickets a day (not very large really) and sometimes I'll add in a worm or some lettuce, but that's usually the most she would get in a day.
----------------------------------------
ALSO! Since I'm buying a new cage, would a glass one be okay with a mesh door? If I covered 2 sides of the glass would she still be stressed by her reflection? And will the heat from light bulbs go through the glass top?

Hi. I have a female veiled that I've had for a little over a year and a half.
She seems stressed again the past two weeks so I fear she might be going to lay eggs AGAIN. It's such a hassle for me, especially because now we live in a smaller house so I have to buy an even smaller cage!

She layed her first eggs in around August, and then again during the beginning of December... so this is crazy, I read they usually lay once a year!

I don't think I'm over feeding her because I usually feed her 10 large crickets a day (not very large really) and sometimes I'll add in a worm or some lettuce, but that's usually the most she would get in a day.

They can lay eggs 3 or 4 times a year without a problem. The amount you are feeding is too much. I would knock that same amount back to every other day to start. Are they adult crickets you are feeding? If so, I would knock the amount back a couple each feeding too after she's gotten used to every other day. If you can post a photo of her along with the size cricket you are using, that will help us make a recommendation.

Chris

Its normal for them to lay eggs every 120 or so days...so 3 or 4 times a year if they are cycling. I don't feed mine nearly as much as you are feeding them and they produce no eggs...
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

How big are the clutches?

I live in Ontario and have used glass cages with mesh lids for chameleons for over 20 years. I switched at one time to glass cages with screen lids and doors but found that they didn't keep the heat in well or the humidity...so I started switching back to the ones with only a screen lid.

If you set your basking light to one side/corner of the cage you should create the chimney affect Chris is talking about....and leave that vent on the front of the cage open, of course.

Just don't let any water lay stagnant on the floor of the cage.

I also use no substrate, but I do provide an opaque container for the female to dig in to show me if she needs to lay eggs.

My veileds live long healthy lives....females usually to 6+ years and males even older.

Back
Top Bottom