Jackson Rescued (pics)

gpmo

Well we brought home another rescue, this time it is a T. Jacksonii. He is in pretty bad shape but we have faith not so bad as to not live. He has one hell of a grip and when first inspected was very alert.

Gathered information from previous "handler" and i use that term loosley.

Captive bred (We believe/he was told) T. Jacksonii purchased from Florida breeder a couple months old a little over 2 years ago.

Housed in a glass hexagon enclosure about 12"X12"X18" ISH

Misted 2-3 times a week....watered in a bowl.

UVB bought when he was bought so its about 2 years old also.
Red night lamp, and 40w basking bulb. No idea on temps

Fed every other day, with crickets dusted with calcium d3.... no other foods.

Snout to vent length approx 5" and weight of 51 grams.

His feet and mouth are in fairly bad shape (see pics) it looks as if he may have some edema in his legs, and possibly his throat.

We are scheduling a vet appointment first thing in the morning. Also we have set up his new enclosure in our bathroom. Our bathroom has a sink right outside where the toilet is so we can wash in and wash out for quarantine.

We are attaching some pics and also a link to one of our online galleries so you can follow his progress. We managed to get all his pictures while he was asleep so we didn't stress him out to much.

Link is Jackson Rescue

His original enclosure.
web.jpg

Foot, he stabbed himself with his own toenail when first picking him up.
web.jpg

Face with bump on mouth.. original owner says its been like that for about 1 1/2 years.
web.jpg

Temp quarantine enclosure.
web.jpg

Thanks for looking we will keep things updated.

Gpmo (us)

oh no poor little guy! that bump on his mouth looks like mouth rot. make sure the vet looks inside his mouth for any abscesses. one of my chameleons died from an abscess which derived from mouth rot. i hope he has a full recovery :)

Call me if you need any help.
Gads, I saw this guy on Craig's list ... good for you guys, hopefully you can turn his situation around.
Make sure the vet knows about the supplementation ... Jackson's are very sensitive to it ... blood work should be done.
Water, water, water, water
I don't normally shower chameleons, but I would have him in every day.
Keep us posted

-Brad

Poor little guy! Good luck with him. Can he open his eyes at all? That makes me so sad to see one get like that, I hope you make him all better.

Poor little guy! Good luck with him. Can he open his eyes at all? That makes me so sad to see one get like that, I hope you make him all better.

Yea when i first went and looked at him he was wide awake and alert. We moved him after bedtime to minimize stress.

Gpmo

Good for you guys and good luck with him. Holy cow - this little dude is a trooper if he is even alive after all (only) that for that long. :(

Good for you! I feel so bad for that animal. I'm glad he has you. He is a trooper--as chams1 says--I'm sure he'll be a good fighter in the effort to recover from the abuse he's suffered.

Well he woke up this morning and looked around a bit freeked out. He seemed confused by all the space he had.. But as with all Chams he found where the warm spot was at and immediately went there. The previous keeper said he wouldn't drink from leaves but he sure did for us and straight from the misting bottle. He enjoyed his first ever super worm and two crikets. We left a couple extra crickets in his enclosure so he could get a little enrichment of hunting, which he was happily doing.

This afternoon he is getting a nice warm shower and maybe another live plant.

Gpmo (him)

Well he woke up this morning and looked around a bit freeked out. He seemed confused by all the space he had.. But as with all Chams he found where the warm spot was at and immediately went there. The previous keeper said he wouldn't drink from leaves but he sure did for us and straight from the misting bottle. He enjoyed his first ever super worm and two crikets. We left a couple extra crickets in his enclosure so he could get a little enrichment of hunting, which he was happily doing.

This afternoon he is getting a nice warm shower and maybe another live plant.

Gpmo (him)

Just wondering is he shooting at his food or do you place it close enough where he can just open his mouth?

Looks like hes got some shed still on his head from previous sheds. The showers should help that come off. As brad stated water is th most imp thing now. He looks like he was severely dehydrated. I cant believe he made it that long without being misted and haveing access to a dripper. Jacksonns usually dont make it when abused to that degree.

The mouth doesnt look that bad yet. With proper care that should clear up.
Good luck, and kudos for rescuing him.

Jacksonns usually dont make it when abused to that degree. .

Which is why I believe he was captive bred.
They are really pretty tough little animals.
The GPMO Duo have great access to veterinary care so this guy is in good hands.
I anticipate a great recovery.

-Brad

Wanted to make an observation. My jackson is a lot younger, at least a year younger. My xantho's horns are significantly longer, along with the spikes on the spine. I don't know enough about the subject or even if it pertains, but since the previous owner dusted with D3 on every feeding he might have some imbalances.

Hello all,

I am in between classes so gonna try to answer qoestions but may miss some :). He is able to shoot his tongue normally, and the inside of his mouth looks normal so I think the lip problem is superficial. He definitely seems to be stunted ( not surprising considering his history). We are trying to get him in to see the vet asap. I was pleasantly surprised this morning by his activity level and interest in food and water!

Thanks for all the support and input :)

gpmo (her)

So a quick update. He is very active and has discovered his entire enclosure. He really likes to eat super worms and "oddly" enough loves to drink water.. He is enjoying 3 mistings a day at the moment and getting more exercise than ever before. It seems he has found the UVB and basking bulbs and spends a bit of time with them, but he generally stays around the middle area of his enclosure for the majority of the day.

From initial examination we may have to have one of his little feet lanced to clean out the abscess.

He passed a nice big poo today of proper shape, though it got some water before we were able to check urate colors.

Gpmo

i'm so glad you were able to acquire him!!!! sounds like he may be one of the lucky ones!!!!!!!
it makes me so sick when animals are mistreated.. i'm glad he's with you now!!!
good luck!!! lisa

It's fantastic that you found and rescued this guy! Poor guy, he must have been so uncomfortable. I would have punched the previous owner in the face just before driving off!

Back
Top Bottom